www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 19th, 2012, 21:16   #1
number3114

Fuel Economy: 32
Default '86 Suzuki Samurai TDI Swap

1986 Suzuki Samurai hard-top;
1.9L TDI 1Z diesel motor from a 1993 VW Passat: 90 HP and 149 ft lbs torque. So far, gets about 32 mpg in this vehicle;
Toyota 5-speed Transmission and T-Case with 4.7:1 low-range & 1:1 high-range;
Dana44 rear differential with 3.73 gears (tall gears were selected to keep highway RPM low: 2500-rpm @ 75-mph);
Reinforced Samurai front axle with heavy-duty 26-spline shafts;
Rear disk brakes using Samurai rotors, Audi 5000 calipers, and Acura Integra parking brake cables;
Toyota MR2 intercooler;
Volkswagen Quantum radiator;
Honda Prelude air-filter-box;
Jeep Wrangler fenders;
Suzuki SJ410 grill;
Dodge D50 motor-mounts;
Chevy S10-Pickup oil pan;
15-gallon petroworks fuel tank;
5-gallon stainless-steel jerry-can is integrated into the fuel system (automatically drains into main tank);
Air-lockers with on-board compressor;
Roll cage is welded into the body to provide solid mounts for tailgate & roof rack;
Compartments for storage & stowaway-winch are built into the floor;
Body, Frame & Wheelbase were lengthened four inches;
Three inches were removed from the cab-height (for increased stability & aerodynamics);
Leaf-spring mounts were raised one inch (to keep springs even with contour of frame and to lower vehicle);
FOA coil-over shocks can be adjusted to provide additional lift (and softer ride);
32-inch tires;
Many more parts from the local Pick-n-Pull.

Here are some pictures of the (relatively) finished vehicle. Before & After comparisons are in the next post, followed by some random pictures I took during construction. I'll try to get some more pictures and commentary up shortly.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341609

Suzuki Samurai diesel front

Suzuki Samurai diesel rear

Suzuki Samurai diesel inside

Suzuki Samurai diesel undercarriage

Suzuki Samurai diesel TDI motor front

Suzuki Samurai diesel TDI motor side

Suzuki Samurai diesel construction 1

Suzuki Samurai diesel construction 2

Suzuki Samurai diesel TDI motor 1

Suzuki Samurai diesel TDI motor 2

Last edited by number3114; March 10th, 2013 at 19:44.
number3114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 21:26   #2
number3114

Default Before & After

Old January 19th, 2012, 22:14   #3
Zedbra
Veteran Member

great job! you did a lot of work to make all that come together. those old samurais are fun little trail rigs, do you think a little more lift / tires are in the future?

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 23:40   #4
number3114

Thanks, yeah it required much more work than I ever imagined. I would have probably not started it had I only known.

As far as the lift... I actually went to great lengths to avoid lifting it. The cab's been lowered 3" and the spring-mounts were modified to achieve an additional 1" drop (though my coil-overs do raise the vehicle back up an inch or so). It seems like everyone's able to make a decent off-road vehicle by lifting these things... It takes a little more effort to achieve those results by lowering it. As an added bonus, this thing is actually quite stable out on the highways too. I was more interested in an all-purpose vehicle for road-trips and exploring, and less interested in something that can only be used to crawl over boulders.

Having said that... I'm thinking about adjusting my coil-overs to increase the lift by maybe a half-inch... My theory is that if the entire weight of the vehicle is supported by the coil-overs (allowing the leaves to be completely slack in the vehicle's resting state), then I will have a good inch of travel on only the spongy coils. This should make for a comfortable ride on washboard and rocky roads. But as I start to bottom out, the beefed-up leaves should increasingly resist the force, allowing me to reduce the total travel necessary and allowing me to keep the vehicle low and stable. I admit that articulation will not be a strong-point for this vehicle, but that's what lockers are for :-).

Edit: I just took the vehicle on its first off-road trip and the suspension worked exactly as I had hoped... The ride was comfortable and I never felt the vehicle bottom-out. I also really started appreciating my 4.7:1 low-range, which I was unsure about previously.

Last edited by number3114; January 25th, 2012 at 20:53.
Old January 20th, 2012, 00:29   #5
number3114

Old January 20th, 2012, 01:26   #6
number3114

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:56   #7
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

That's really sweet. I love my Zuk, but am still running the stock engine.

Why no swaybar disconnects? They'd help tremendously with your flex.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:53   #8
markd89
Veteran Member

The engine-bay looks factory -- like it's all meant to be there.

Really nice work :-)
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:34   #9
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

Amazing build!!! Great Pics.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:05   #10
rsxsr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

Very professional. Must have taken you all weekend to do.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:57   #11
number3114

Default About the sway ber...

There actually is a quick-release mechanism (sort of) on that bar, though it's hard to see in the photo. I have bolts connecting the bar to the leaf-spring plate (not welded-on studs w/nuts). On the right mount (left in photo), you can see the reflection off the bolt-head. "Quick-release" involves taking out those bolts and taking the nuts off the top mounts. I had pins and pin-locks on that same bar in a previous Samurai and kept breaking and loosing the small pins and pin-locks.
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:31   #12
dieselzuk

TDI(s): none,yet

Excellent build. Thanks for all of the pictures too. What transmission did you use, the W56, or did you get a hold of a R151f?

I'm looking to do the same thing, but with an 98 AHU engine. I'm starting phase one very soon by buying a 1998 VW Jetta TDI. After that I'm going to slowly build up all of the parts that I need. Thanks again.
dieselzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 15:08   #13
rspring
Veteran Member

Default Nice!

Great build. Love to do a TDI swap into my Zuk. Have a 16v right now...
Old January 21st, 2012, 13:01   #14
CFM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All-time best of 73.2 mpg so far...

Great job! If I hadn't seen the "before" pictures, I would have thought it came from the factory that way.
CFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 14:55   #15
glitdi
Veteran Member

That my friend is probably the best expedition zuk I have seen to date. I love the integration of the roll bar into the body. Starting a project in the next year or so like this how much money have you got tied up into it? (If offense is taken feel free not to answer)
Really like the job you did congrats on a great expedition/zombie apocalypse/ daily driver/zukyotawagon

OCD Member #4

Last edited by glitdi; January 21st, 2012 at 14:58.
glitdi is offline   Reply With Quote