www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 16th, 2012, 18:20   #1
dmitripr

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI
Unhappy Selling 2010 JSW -- tips, anyone?

Hi all!

Unfortunately, due to my job I will be relocating to another country for a couple of years very soon and cannot take my 2010 JSW with me. I love the car, but have to sell.

Throughout my time on these forms I've received a lot of good advice, so thanks to all for that!

I need one more -- any recommendations of how/where to sell these JSW for the best price? Or maybe even some one here is interested.

I stopped by CarMax today, they did their thorough check and came back with a "low ball" offer of $18,500 , but I see these same cars on CarMax (with higher millage) going for $24K+, retail of course. Would VW dealer have a better offer?

Here are my basics:
Bought Aug 2010; 22,500 mi; white-gold color, black leatherette interior; Panoramic roof; mat kit; iPod interface; DSG Auto. All else standard. Used Bio-diesel 5% for practically all fill-ups (if that matters to anyone).

Any suggestions/hints/tips appreciated. Thank you all again!
dmitripr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 18:34   #2
Fordcougar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: muy bueno

Its really interesting, I was going to suggest carmax my dad used them for his town-car(15k book, carmax paid 13k) I suppose it depends on demand in area, all I know is our VW dealer only had 1 JSW on the lot, and it wasn't a TDI(they can't keep them on the lot) You might have good luck at the dealer, although I'm not sure how many just buy vehicles.
Of course you will always make more in a private sale, the benefit of carmax/dealer purchase is you don't have to deal with 500 people coming to your house and kicking tires, test driving etc.

2011 JSW DSG Candy White... Stock for now. Central Florida
Fordcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 18:39   #3
OilBurningBrit
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mpg

Just entering the info you provided into the online car appraisal tools, it looks like they CarMax was about $1000 under the trade-in number ... about $19,500 is trade-in. I don't know if that's "wiggle room" for you to negotiate up, or if it's because you're selling, not trading. Have you considered just doing a private-party sale? If you're prepared for the hassle of dealing with the public (!) you should get just over $20k.

Best of luck with the overseas gig, and I hope you make out OK with the reluctant sale.
OilBurningBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 18:42   #4
dmitripr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcougar View Post
Its really interesting, I was going to suggest carmax my dad used them for his town-car(15k book, carmax paid 13k) I suppose it depends on demand in area, all I know is our VW dealer only had 1 JSW on the lot, and it wasn't a TDI(they can't keep them on the lot) You might have good luck at the dealer, although I'm not sure how many just buy vehicles.
Of course you will always make more in a private sale, the benefit of carmax/dealer purchase is you don't have to deal with 500 people coming to your house and kicking tires, test driving etc.
Yeah, I hoped CarMax would at least be around 20K -- but it is what it is. Like you said, I'm sure demand/time-on-lot is taken into consideration.

I don't know if taking it to a dealer would be better. I already have an ad on Craigslist, only have a couple of people responding so far, nothing concrete yet. I wish I had 500 people banging on my door to get this car .

Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2012, 19:00   #5
seth1065
Veteran Member

I would put in on the for sale section here at TDI and maybe VW vortex as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitripr View Post
Yeah, I hoped CarMax would at least be around 20K -- but it is what it is. Like you said, I'm sure demand/time-on-lot is taken into consideration.

I don't know if taking it to a dealer would be better. I already have an ad on Craigslist, only have a couple of people responding so far, nothing concrete yet. I wish I had 500 people banging on my door to get this car .

Thanks!
seth1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 19:22   #6
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

I got a snail-mail letter from VW a couple days ago that says:

Quote:
Demand is higher than ever for used Volkswagen models. In fact, your Jetta could be worth more than you think --
And it invites me to call any VW dealer for an estimate of trade-in value, and gives me the name and contact info for the local dealer I bought the car from.

So you might give your dealer a try.

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 20:02   #7
dmitripr

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

And it invites me to call any VW dealer for an estimate of trade-in value, and gives me the name and contact info for the local dealer I bought the car from.

Thanks! I guess it's worth a drive to check them out.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:33   #8
zeuloa
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I would definitely check with your local VW dealers and get bids from them. Besides VW I would check Audi, and also find out who is the largest in used sales in the area (regardless of manufacturer) and check with them as well.

Best of luck on your new assignment!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:00   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

VW will only really want "buy" your car, if you want to buy a newer car from them! I bet the dealer will give you the same deal as carmax, but if you were going to buy a new car, they'd come up a bit more.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:10   #10
bruce846
Veteran Member

TDI(s): No TDI's

Put it on Craig's List, mine sold in 2 days, for close to asking.
Old January 18th, 2012, 16:27   #11
ss~zoso~ss
Veteran Member

I sold a 92 Dodge Dynasty on Craigslist in 45 minutes once
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:00   #12
bgs02

i have bought and sold on autotrader.com with good results. should sell quickly
bgs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:57   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Knowledgable folks will low ball knowing of the potential problems with these cars.....
That said craigslist sounds like a good Idea....

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 16:27   #14
m_skena
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '11 JSW
Fuel Economy: 38-41

Had mine parked at the local dealership the other day as I was in the parts dept. and came out to find three people looking at my car. Turns out the couple has been waiting 8 months for a TDI JSW in grey or silver. They offered me 20k to buy it right then and there. Sorry, ain't for sale.
m_skena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:21   #15
timwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce846 View Post
Put it on Craig's List, mine sold in 2 days, for close to asking.
+1 on Craigslist - It eliminates a lot of the anxiety when you deal locally.

I sold my BMW wagon on Craigslist - and we closed the deal at the buyer's bank - no issue with that cashier's check!

I also had the car on CARS.com - and got a lot of bogus and annoying emails - will never do that again...
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote