www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 16th, 2012, 17:09   #1
oh-man67

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Fuel Economy: best 43 mpg
Default long crank and white smoke after start

I'm still new to the tdi but since I've owned it, intermittently I'll have a long crank/stumble and a cloud of white smoke on inital start up. Its a 2002 jetta with an auto and most times its ok but still ramdomly long crank. This has happened since I got it but I have (not to eliminate this issue) resealed the injector pump, replaced t-belt and water pump, new tires, air and fuel filters, etc etc. I live in southern florida so its not real cold at any time and this has happened even when warmer out. Any help would be great. I'm thinking the anti shudder valve is sticking or the valves are leaking oil down and compression isnt great after that or something.
oh-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:56   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I vote the anti-shudder valve sticking. If the valve seals are leaking, then you'd get smoke every time after x hours of non-running (i.e. however long it takes sufficient oil to ooze past the valve seal and dribble into a cylinder).
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:35   #3
dodgediesel
Veteran Member

Have you checked the clear fuel line by the pump to make sure there isn't air in the system? You can open the hood and look before you try to start it, or look right after a hard start and see if air bubbles are blazing around in the tubing.
2007 Ford Focus - good car
dodgediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 21:50   #4
CustomShirt

White smoke, however, usually means water... so (if it is, in fact, water) either it's in the fuel, or worse... it's the head gasket.

CustomShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 18:44   #5
oh-man67

Somehow I dont have the clear line on any section of my fuel system. Must have had replacement lines installed. I thought that the ip held reserve fuel, at least enough to start the car but that may be my issue. As for coolant leak, maybe, the level hasnt dropped at all. I've been checking it since I did the water pump and timing belt just to make sure I didnt have a leak. Hasnt happened for a few days but probably will tomarrow. Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2012, 21:03   #6
03bora
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: consistantly getting at least 36 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomShirt View Post
White smoke, however, usually means water... so (if it is, in fact, water) either it's in the fuel, or worse... it's the head gasket.
I second this....a head gasket leak internally. From a split in the gasket from one of the coolant passages to the combustion chamber. When you start the car up after it has been sitting over night, does the radiator hoses get hard quick, in a short amount of time...like the system is under pressure? If so, that would be something that would raise a red flag.
Mods:Cat fuel filter w/ custom stainless steel braided fuel lines, Elbrus rims, Euro headlamp switch, fuel tank ventectomy, DieselGeek short throw shifter, Redline accessories custom shift boot, custom brake calipers from GoldLineCalipers.com.
03bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:40   #7
slam
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 at best, ***?

I had a head gasket leak. It was blowing all the coolant out of my coolant tank when I drove on the freeway. I don't know if you can have a coolant leak on the TDI and not blow all your coolant out.

White smoke can easily be fuel. Sniff it, you can tell if it's fuel. And if it was water it would probably evaporate fast; a persistent cloud of white is probably fuel.

I got this issue myself right now. New head gasket, new valve seats and seals. Timing is spot on, but other threads recommend using Vagcom/VCDS to check various temp sensors and stuff.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ght=hard+start

Where is the anti-shudder valve? Does the 1Z have one?
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:42   #8
dodgediesel
Veteran Member

The anti-shudder valve isn't on a 1Z, but on the ALH engine, it's up near where the EGR is on a 1Z.
oh-man67 - when it finally starts, does it continue to stumble/miss, or is it smooth as soon as it starts?
2007 Ford Focus - good car
dodgediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:49   #9
slam
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 at best, ***?

I don't know about his, but when mine starts, it runs great. Smooth as butter. After a couple of minutes the smoke clears up, too.
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:58   #10
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-man67 View Post
Somehow I dont have the clear line on any section of my fuel system. Must have had replacement lines installed. I thought that the ip held reserve fuel, at least enough to start the car but that may be my issue. As for coolant leak, maybe, the level hasnt dropped at all. I've been checking it since I did the water pump and timing belt just to make sure I didnt have a leak. Hasnt happened for a few days but probably will tomarrow. Thanks.
The thermo "T" fitting o-rings are the most common source of air in the fuel system. New o-rings and/or coat them with some petroleum jelly or I used some heavy bearing grease before inserting into filter canister.

TB has been replaced. Where is the timing on the VCDS timing check graph?? Up above the middle (at least) is better for cold starts-if there can be such a thing in Florida.

Headgasket leak-I don't think so.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 16:50   #11
oh-man67

Thanks for the insight. This is what I"ve noticed exactly. Maybe every third day of cold starts, it takes about 20 sec of cranking to actually start. It may fire a couple of times during this period but not run. Once it does start there is a cloud of white smoke that smells like oil or maybe fuel. It runs kinda rough for a few seconds kinda like its loaded up or like a gas engine after its flooded but after that it runs and drives fine. I have a vagcom and there are no codes and timing is where it should be. Also there is no excessive cooling system pressure and no lost of coolant or transfer of fluids ie oil in water or fuel in oil. Just drove it to orlando and back ( 400+ miles) with no issues and got 43 mpg (its an automatic) so I think overall its running well. Aside from the starting issue its great but I think my girlfried is starting to question the reliability and think it'll leave her srtanded like my 6.0 ford did. Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2012, 19:16   #12
jettawreck
Veteran Member

For some reason the air leaks can be rather intermittant. One day fires right off, the next time it cranks longer than it should. Any time it cranks longer than "normal" it seems there is a lot more smoke than usual because some fuel is being injected but not well.
mileage seems ok for an auto.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
Old January 23rd, 2012, 17:03   #13
oh-man67

cool, thanks. Think I'll install the new set of fuel lines to see if there are any bubbles, Too I was thinking about a lift pump or one of those external low psi diesel pumps. If the lack of fuel is my issue, this will correct it right?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:24   #14
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-man67 View Post
cool, thanks. Think I'll install the new set of fuel lines to see if there are any bubbles, Too I was thinking about a lift pump or one of those external low psi diesel pumps. If the lack of fuel is my issue, this will correct it right?
You shouldn't need a lift pump. Find and fix the problem, even if it goes to something a bit more complicated like an IP seal leak. Don't add another potential issue. On rare occasions the fuel sender unit has been known to develope cracks in the pick up tube. Check out the easy stuff first. Maybe pull a vacuum on the fuel line just before the IP and see if there is a air leak downstream.

Old January 29th, 2012, 14:36   #15
Neukom720

im having pretty much the same problem. new belt, new headgasket, the whole shabam ya know the drill. I had vw time the motor and it takes over 10 seconds to start after its been sitting overnight. Could it be injection pump timing? Could vw have set my pump a tooth off or something?
2008 Ford F-450 6.4 Powerstroke Spartan Tuned + Bolt On's
Neukom720 is offline   Reply With Quote