www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old January 14th, 2012, 14:44   #1
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy
Default Mini Rant.

Why do people not get it.....Just saying here (not intended to the individual texting me today...) I usually slow down dec and jan. The last 2 years not so much. I take this time to relax a bit and clean the shop as well as have some personal time for THINGS THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE EXPLAINED TO YOUR SORRY A****!!!

I though my phone message was pretty clear. We are closed till Feb unless you have a prior scheduled appointment. Please send and Email to my web page if you need contact or want to schedule for FEB! Yet, there are several dozen people that hang up and call back 2,3,4,5 times in a row to see if I'll pick up. When I do, and rightfully so raise cain on them they are still pretentious enough to STILL want an immediate appt!

Did your parents NOT raise you with some etiquette? Do you think you are that important? Do you think you can TELL me what to do and WHEN? Seriously......

Name and numbers have been taken and I see a ban list growing. I am NOT at ANYONES beck-and-call. In fact when the shop moves the scope of work is going to narrow to pretty much engines only. No interiors, suspension, no electrical work etc. I just don't have time for it anymore. Nor the patience for inconsiderate dolts....And there won't be a waiting area. Just a chair.

Thanks, Carry on. Rant off.

Last edited by jasonTDI; January 14th, 2012 at 14:45. Reason: spelling police
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 15:32   #2
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Enjoy your time off, it is precious.

I see a similar thing on the forums, newbies (and some not so new) DEMAND an answer to their very elementary questions. They even get mad when the real answer doesn't jibe with their warped view of the world.

People, YOU CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE HELP YOU. You may politely ask and that is it. A hissy fit just gets you on the ignore/idiot/troll/do not resuscitate list.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 15:35   #3
jasonTDI

Thanks Bill, as always a level headed view of things.
Old January 14th, 2012, 16:14   #4
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Jason-take your time off-it is well deserved(although time in summer would be better for you to get road time on your bike). I would keep a list of the #'s of the "pests" that pester you now-tell them if it's that important they can take it to the nearest dealer......
Old January 14th, 2012, 16:27   #5
jasonTDI

Trust me on that....You know, Bike miles went in this order over the past 5 years. 30K, 20K, 10K, 3K, 1.5K.....pathetic that last year was two 5 day rides off road that did 1300 miles. I actually had someone say to me "well you were gone twice last year!" Really? I should be gone 8 weeks a year considering the 70+ hour weeks I work.

You know, if it wasn't for the really GREAT customers that I have that make up for the turds I'd be doing something else.
Old January 14th, 2012, 16:40   #6
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☭☠

Appalling that people have an expectation that you (or any other mechanic) would be at their beck and call 24/7/365. I would have gone to an invitation-only shop years ago if people had put me through half the poop that I've heard about.

Savor your time off with your family and enjoy being at home once in a while - it's nice!
Old January 14th, 2012, 16:56   #7
jasonTDI

Thanks Ted,

Ironically....I'm at the shop. We are wrapping up a 240hp MK5 project. Of course its got a bad CTS and I'm out...fans run full tilt. We'll be disconnecting those for now.
Old January 14th, 2012, 16:58   #8
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Jason, I feel your pain. Or, at least used to.

Back in the day, I was working at an electronics store that sold, you guessed it, electronic components, and a mess of other stuff, while I was going to college. We served the general public, and a good mix of professional / industrial customers.

We literally got so tired of the boneheads that would come in, demanding we design a circuit for them. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain that this was a store, not a consulting firm. And, that I can point the to a design consultant. I had one in particular that picked up a 400hz military generator for $100, and could NOT (not would not) understand why this generator would not work. ANd, he wanteedd me to design a convertor for him!

Or, they would not know what they wanted, and get upset with us because we, quite literally, could not read their minds.

One of the other salesmen cornered me one day, telling me to stop telling my customers to deal with me only. I explained that I make no such request of my customers. They are doing that on their own. He insisted that I talk to them and make them stop. He wanted my sales. Not that we were on commission; we were not.

It was that experience that convinced me that I can't deal with the general public. Industrial / commercial is fine...they are professional. Bu the general public...NO!

Jason, keep a stiff upper lip, turn off the phone, enjoy your better customers, stop dealing with those that don't want to listen, and, last, but not least, enjoy your time off!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:03   #9
40X40
Experienced

A 240 HP MKV? When you get a chance, please list the mods/details. Hearing it from a GURU sure beats the hell out of some braggart who wins races even when his entry is the only one.....

I mean, it's not like you are busy or anything, you are closed!.... Kidding!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:13   #10
BleachedBora

I know the feeling too - calls at midnight or 3am sometimes....4x missed calls from same person, I'm backed up on two other calls; call them back and they ask if I carry oil filters. Lol! Either you laugh or cry...

Anyway, by and large it's a great group I work with too...except for the guy that did a $7800 chargeback and was able to get away with it.

Keep on keeping on!
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:19   #11
40X40
Experienced

Don't forget the 'tard that couldn't dial his phone.... and insisted he sent an Email that was never found.

Bill
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:28   #12
Zedbra
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
They even get mad when the real answer doesn't jibe with their warped view of the world.
i find this ironic coming from you - but it sounds good to say, now try to do it.

to the OP - voicemail is your friend.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:34   #13
jasonTDI

Ugh...I could never be in the parts biz for that reason. Well....That and I HATE packaging and shipping. Ask those that have bought parts from me...lol....sort of.

$7800....someone would be getting a "visit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
I know the feeling too - calls at midnight or 3am sometimes....4x missed calls from same person, I'm backed up on two other calls; call them back and they ask if I carry oil filters. Lol! Either you laugh or cry...

Anyway, by and large it's a great group I work with too...except for the guy that did a $7800 chargeback and was able to get away with it.

Keep on keeping on!
-BB
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:35   #14
jasonTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Don't forget the 'tard that couldn't dial his phone.... and insisted he sent an Email that was never found.

Bill
Nah! That never happens!
Old January 14th, 2012, 17:36   #15
jasonTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
i find this ironic coming from you - but it sounds good to say, now try to do it.

to the OP - voicemail is your friend.
Way to s*** in the thread.... Leave your beef with Bill in PM's.