www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 12th, 2012, 21:25   #1
jacksonvilleTDI

Fuel Economy: 46mpg nice city, 55 highway, 42 mixed driving to get there ASAP
Default bluetooth auto play problem

I noticed my phone battery is dying very quickly because every time i start the car the stereo starts streaming music from my phone(via Bluetooth).
I DO NOT have the auto play checkbox(in setup menu) checked and dont see other options to disable it.
Did anybody else have the same problem.
Is this a bug across the board or is it just my car.
I have tried 3 other phones with the same result.
Also tried checking the box and unchecking again but no fix.
jacksonvilleTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:23   #2
IceRaider360
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.7 L/100km

Not sure on this one, I have a 2011 Golf with the RCD-510 stereo and use a Galaxy Nexus S Android phone for bluetooth music streaming and haven't run into this problem hopefully someone will chime in on this.
IceRaider360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:59   #3
Past_VNE
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with both my husband's iPhone and with mine. I would LOVE to turn off this "feature" if possible. It's not just you, JAXTDI.

2012 Tornado Red/Cornsilk JSW 3-pedal, pano, no nav, 13,400 miles as of New Year's.
2001 Jetta TDI 5-spd, chip, turbo, injectors, VR6 brake conversion, Evo SS skid plate, 185k miles
2002 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4x4 --1988 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L, my first car....highly modded
Past_VNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 13:43   #4
chris@revotechnik

Does this on my 2012 as well both my iphone and focus S (wp7). On the iphone it was a pain since I"d get to work and sync the phone it would then delete all the podcasts that played in the background on my way to work. luckily it doesn't do that with the wp7 but it does keep playing and drains the battery.

The bluetooth auto play just means that when you get into the car and turn it on it will switch from whatever media source was playing to the bluetooth. If you have that off it doesn't change over but it still triggers play on the phone and will just play silently in your pocket.

Android phones have an option to actually manually turn off BT audio which is why people with those don't seem to have a problem. However I had a Sony with BT audio in my cherokee and it didn't autoplay my iphone like the JSW does.
Old January 18th, 2012, 19:35   #5
jacksonvilleTDI

Fuel Economy: 46mpg nice city, 55 highway, 42 mixed driving to get there ASAP

ok here is what i did on android go to BT settings, find your car that was paired, uncheck the BT Audio checkbox and it works.
I can still play everything but it does not start streaming music when you turn on your car.
Thanks
jacksonvilleTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:31   #6
geraldvol426

Fuel Economy: 38.69

I have the same BT problem on my 2012 Passat. Even after I change back to FM or SAT, the radio will just switch back to the iphone. It may do this every few minutes and repeat several (5-6) times VERY frustrating as the sound levels are different and can blkow out the speakers. Anyone have solutions. My dealer doesn't have an answer and Apple does not have a solutioni either.
geraldvol426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:40   #7
maxedtdi
Veteran Member

All 2012+ do this, 2009-2011 don't have this feature.
maxedtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:01   #8
goldgary

Count me in. Does it to my "non smart phone" I do not have any music on my phone, but I always have to cancel "no songs found" button on phone. It would be a real pain if I had music on phone.

I too am looking for an answer on this issue.

thanks, Gary
goldgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:17   #9
Sweeps
Veteran Member

I disconnected this feature through VCDS.

This solved the problem.
- MK4, MK5, MK6 Jetta TDI's in the past.
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:50   #10
mamock116
Veteran Member

+1 to having the same issue. So lame.
S3 shifter linkage, turbo resonance dampener removed, intake manifold flaps removed, BFI torque arm insert, Revo Stage1, Neuspeed sport cup kit, StopTech slotted rotors, TyrolSport shifter bracket bushings, TyrolSport brake caliper stiffening kit, Eurosport lower front stress bar, KMD rear upper stress bar.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:47   #11
Kebbat

TDI(s): 2012 JSW TDI

I'm also having this issue. Additionally, it is a real pain in the rear to get music to play from my iPhone using the MDI cable. It shows all of the contents of the iPod feature of the phone, but it often will not play them. And, when it finally does play a song, the song /album information is often incorrect.
Kebbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:16   #12
blueclaws

TDI(s): '21 Golf TDI

Peeps, I feel your pain. I hate that I have to manually press stop on my iPhone everytime I get into my car and turn on the ignition.

After talking with VW and Apple about this, I've found that the culprit is Apple. They suggested I make a formal request to have this "bluetooth autoplay" option as a disable-able parameter in our phones.

If you have a moment, go to the Apple feedback website and hopefully the next software release will fix this. God knows it will make me happy. Spread this to other threads and forums for this problem, and maybe we can crowdsource Apple to get this fixed!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Here is what I put down, for reference:

"Whenever my bluetooth-enabled car connects to my iPhone 4, even when the radio is off, my iPhone automatically plays the first available music source (iTunes or Pandora). No music is heard by me because the radio is off and the iphone is playing via the bluetooth. When I turn on the radio, I can hear that the phone has been playing the entire time the car's been despite no command to play music. This ends up being a big drain on my battery and data (pandora) if I don't go to my phone after turning on my car and hit stop on the playing music.

I suggest there be a parameter to turn off autoplay within the bluetooth system commands of my phone."
blueclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 23:15   #13
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

It would be nice for Apple to add a toggle - my money is that they won't do that. Not very user friendly to have more steps to go through when setting something up.

It is really something wrong with the software of the new HU's. When I uncheck the autoplay box on the HU it SHOULD NOT autoplay the music on my phone. For whatever reason the HU is sending some sort of signal to the phone to start playing music.

And to add - this drives me crazy too.
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:56   #14
Donkeyshins

Fuel Economy: 36.4

Same frickin' problem here with my Lumia 710 WP7 device. I'll talk to folks I know at Microsoft about whether this can be made configurable in some future release.

-D
Donkeyshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 16:12   #15
fgiraffe

Quote:
After talking with VW and Apple about this, I've found that the culprit is Apple
Not sure I buy that. Other cars with similar BT playback capability do NOT have the Autoplay problem with the iPPhone, so the blame cannot be all on Apple.
fgiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote