www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:07   #1
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Default 2013 Jetta

Ok, so now what are diesel lovers suppose to think?

Is VW taking a step to abandon us at the Altar?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...ta-hybrid.html

After the US market's reaction to the new Jetta and Passat, could diesel become an orphan?
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:21   #2
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Similar consumption on a cheaper (in North America) fuel - sign me up.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:30   #3
algaediesel

Fuel Economy: usually 1000+km/tank, driving hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTDI View Post
After the US market's reaction to the new Jetta and Passat, could diesel become an orphan?
I thought I had read that US Passat tdi sales were so brisk that they couldn't keep up?
algaediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 13:00   #4
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

VW is supposedly not able to keep up with diesel demand in everything but the Jetta Sedan. JSW are selling at 80% diesels.

It will be interesting to see if VW can pull off real world numbers with the hybrid that come close to the EPA numbers. I agree that this does not look good for the diesel engines. Except that the hybrids are typically one of the higher priced offerings in the line. So maybe there will be a choice of high mpg diesel of $25,000 and a high mpg hybrid for $30,000. Probably no options on the hybrid, fully loaded or nothing.

just rambling, perhaps this could also position VW to offer true into diesels as a way to differentiate them from the hybrid. Stripped to the bones with on upgrades. ??
Old January 9th, 2012, 13:22   #5
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Why, oh why, aren't we seeing TDI hybrids???? Put a 1.4L TDI in that instead of the gasser and get an additional 5MPG, at least!
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 16:54   #6
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
It will be interesting to see if VW can pull off real world numbers with the hybrid that come close to the EPA numbers. I agree that this does not look good for the diesel engines. Except that the hybrids are typically one of the higher priced offerings in the line. So maybe there will be a choice of high mpg diesel of $25,000 and a high mpg hybrid for $30,000. Probably no options on the hybrid, fully loaded or nothing.
VW is going to be using 7spd DSG tranny compared everyone else that use the CVT, i'm thinking that has something to do with the mpg, but it will also add a huge fun factor to this. (hopefully)

As for real world MPG, vw's have been lot better with thier mpg claims so hopefully this one will be close.

Funny thing is that they are using 15' wheels! i guess every bit helps! That will be the first thing that will be changed in my car
Old January 9th, 2012, 17:16   #7
pleopard
Veteran Member

-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
Old January 9th, 2012, 17:32   #8
rtking
Veteran Member

Not to derail the hybrid topic, but did anyone notice the headlights with the LED DRLs and projectors? I am buying a set of those as soon as they're available.

In terms of the hybrid Jetta itself - but hybrids provide their best mileage in town. On the highway, it's all combustion engine powering the vehicle. Having had an Altima Hybrid before, I can say that I never achieved the stated mileage because too many hyper-miling techniques and road variables prevented achieving the stated mpg. Conversely, the Jetta TDI surpasses the stated mpg rating.

Last edited by rtking; January 9th, 2012 at 17:41.
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 17:33   #9
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Not to derail the hybrid topic, but did anyone notice the headlights with the LED DRLs? I am buying a set of those as soon as they're available.
yep it comes with LED tails as well!

it will be funny, vw is going to sell more headlight+tails then hybrids!
Old January 9th, 2012, 17:43   #10
Westro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.3 MPG lifetime

Quote:
Why, oh why, aren't we seeing TDI hybrids????
Too exspensive for us every day penny pinchers.
And a stable of Diesels: Kubota, Case, Farmall, Polaris 4 wheeler, 12V/24V Cummins/7.3L Powerstroke trucks.
Westro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 17:56   #11
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

This a "feel good" model that will never take the place of a diesel option. This offering is just a "we can do this too", not a model to remove the diesel from the line up here or anywhere else......
Old January 9th, 2012, 18:16   #12
pleopard
Veteran Member

Quote:
This a "feel good" model that will never take the place of a diesel option. This offering is just a "we can do this too", not a model to remove the diesel from the line up here or anywhere else......
Agreed. It will likely be priced into a higher segment as well, similar to the Touareg Supercharged Hybrid. Although, I say that loosely, as the Touareg and Jetta platforms and markets are hardly comparable.
Old January 9th, 2012, 20:36   #13
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleopard View Post
-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
Excellent post. We are moving toward the day when cars will be very complex appliances and difficult to service. Many of the systems will be sealed and expensive to swap out. The days of people like me and many of the people on this board who drive their cars 15-30 years and do all the work themselves are numbered. I'm 56 and I'm afraid I might be the last generation.
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:41   #14
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
yep it comes with LED tails as well!

it will be funny, vw is going to sell more headlight+tails then hybrids!
I also read that HIDs will be included in a higher trim level, along with a power driver seat. Finally returning the option list. Still only the RNS-315 nav though. I love my HD Radio in my RNS-510 and would not want to step back to a radio wtihout it.
09 Jetta TDI: got the son-in-law in a VW now
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:46   #15
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Similar consumption on a cheaper (in North America) fuel - sign me up.
Me too.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote