Fix Sloppy or Hard to Shift TDI 5-Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IDParts now has two solutions to fix 5-speed manual transmissions in MkIV Jetta TDI, Golf TDI or New Beetle TDI that have worn shifter assemblies and shift difficultly or have grinding problems.

The Shift Tower Repair Kit replaces the shift tower components, including the ball-bearing guide sleeve. The shift tower moved up and won but should not move side-to-side. Worn shift tower components will allow the tower to shift around and make the car difficult to shift into and out of gear.

The Gear Selector Repair Kit for MkIV manuals replaces the gear select lever on the top of the shift tower. This lever system uses nylon-bushing guides that are starting to wear through, once again knocking the shifter out of alignment. The new gear selector comes with two new bushings, a new guide channel and a new end clip.

Hard shifting can also be caused by old or incorrect manual transmission fluid. Refresh the fluid with new VW OEM G 070 fluid for better lubrication.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
How about the shifter bushings?

I would love to find somebody that carries the parts to replace the nylon bushing in the shifter itself.

The diagram from the dealer is so busy I can't make heads or tails of it.

Can't really deal with spending money to order parts that MIGHT be the ones I need.....

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
woah, potentially cool!

I have trouble downshifting my '03 ALH 5 speed (swap) from 4th to 3rd. I imagine something with the shifter as double clutching (I know how to), or going slow will not get it to go in, it's like something is in the way. However if I move the shifter over towards 2nd gear (but not actually into 2nd) then move the shifter up to third - it goes in gear fine.

Does that sound like one of the kits would help? (I am running the TT shifter).

*to clarify, the shifting was fine after the swap, then one day it just started to get hard to downshift; shift up fine, and all other gears, just going 4th down to 3rd, so it wasn't swap related. I also run a light flywheel, perhaps it exacerbate's the issue.

Ross

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
woah, potentially cool!

I have trouble downshifting my '03 ALH 5 speed (swap) from 4th to 3rd. I imagine something with the shifter as double clutching (I know how to), or going slow will not get it to go in, it's like something is in the way. However if I move the shifter over towards 2nd gear (but not actually into 2nd) then move the shifter up to third - it goes in gear fine.

Does that sound like one of the kits would help? (I am running the TT shifter).

*to clarify, the shifting was fine after the swap, then one day it just started to get hard to downshift; shift up fine, and all other gears, just going 4th down to 3rd, so it wasn't swap related. I also run a light flywheel, perhaps it exacerbate's the issue.

Ross
I have the exact same thing but going 5th to 4th. I have to go out of 5th, push toward 3rd and then pull down into 4th.

I wonder if this is the reason....

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
My 02 takes a lot more effort to shift in and our of gear than my sisters 01. Both just had the tranny fluid replaced with OEM G70. Is there any definite way to tell which components would be the problem?
The problem was apparent well before I changed the fluid. My fluid was much darker and her's looked practically new.

I have performed the shift linkage adjustment twice via the dieselgeek video and it hasn't helped.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE )

Thanks!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Hard shifting can be a difficult thing to track down. First thing to take care of is always the shifter alignment. rosskuhns issue sounds like alignment issue, I'd try to lock everything and reset the shifter cables first.

When doing the shifter cable alignment you can inspect the shift tower and lever. Check for side-to-side movement of the tower and see how much play there is in the nylon guide bushing on the lever. If any of those things seem loose in their spots they may be the cause of shifter mis-alignment.

Or, in FUB's case, have someone look at the tower when the car is being pushed out of 5th. If you see the "play" in the mechanism its the problem.

cevans

TDI
My 02 takes a lot more effort to shift in and our of gear than my sisters 01. Both just had the tranny fluid replaced with OEM G70. Is there any definite way to tell which components would be the problem?
The problem was apparent well before I changed the fluid. My fluid was much darker and her's looked practically new.

I have performed the shift linkage adjustment twice via the dieselgeek video and it hasn't helped.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE )

Thanks!
JC_1992 - move the shifter mechanism and change gears directly on the transmission, compare the two cars and see if you can replicate your shifting issue while working right on the transmission.

cevans

TDI
I would love to find somebody that carries the parts to replace the nylon bushing in the shifter itself.

The diagram from the dealer is so busy I can't make heads or tails of it.

Can't really deal with spending money to order parts that MIGHT be the ones I need.....
I'll do some searching and get back to you.

BlindViper

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3
I changed the bearing asnd it was very difficult. The bearing is very brittle and you can't use a puller to grab a edge. I tried cutting a relieve in the race to release it, didn't work. Ended up welding a nut very carefully to the inside and using that to drive it out.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Someone should really write up a how to on replacing that bushing. I tried and failed miserably, it is a real pain.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Is there a similar fix for the Mk3/B4 cars??

Cevans knows what car I need to fix. . .and soon

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are some other parts that fail on the earlier cars. I can help you trouble-shoot that, or the uber B4 expert, Mr. Nut, can.

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
What are you worried about Cody, I'll end up doing it.
LMAO. Yeah probably. Still curious though!

Here's the deal, you do the install, I do the write-up, win win for everyone!

I've got a few things I need to pay you a visit for.

BlindViper

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3
We tried heat but with the "lock" pin is plastic so its limited as to what you can use. Unless you know how to get the pin out.

edcpaul

TDI
2004 ttdi wagon
Just finished doing mine. Symptom was the shifter wouldn't go into 5th. Did cable alignment...still no go. Tried with just the shifter lever on the tranny and wouldn't go into 5th. So had to open up to find the blockage. Fished out a bunch of plastic a half a dozen little ballbearings with my magnet. Here's the weird part. I just cleaned it all out, put it all Bak together and it works great. I didn't actually replace anything. But shifts way better than before and all gears work. Anyone forsee a longterm problem with this or should I still order the bushing kit????

PS, this is my first tdi and just got it last Tuesday....hopefully this won't be a weekly thing to repair.

Thanks

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

There are some other parts that fail on the earlier cars. I can help you trouble-shoot that, or the uber B4 expert, Mr. Nut, can.
Brian, Check out the "relay lever" and the curved black plastic insert riveted to the metal arm. I think it's 02A 311 090K (or later).
Usually the plastic gets worn from the 1-2 and 3-4 movement and then as it thins out it has a harder time selecting 1 (or 5) and instead aligns with 3. If you hit 3rd when you want 5th, this is likely the issue on the CTN 5 speed.

Sorry, Just noticed that the post to which I replied was from February.

Last edited:

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Has anyone done a DIY for the bushing install? After looking at turbocharged798's thread, I am hesitant to try this on mine.. At this point it would be "preventative maintenance", as it's not broken yet..

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I did my bushing and relay lever about 3 weeks ago and the shifter is TIGHT, and the job wasn't bad at all I just didn't have the right tools to get the old bearing out. I ended up using a Dremel and cutting the length of the bearing sleeve, what a long drawn out process that was..

Here's a DIY on Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ng-amp-Bushing-Repair&p=78934588#post78934588

He had a genius idea of using a bolt as the extractor tool.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Yes, remove the terrible Mk3 linkage and install the linkage and shift tower from a Mk4 :)

Really. I replaced all the moving parts on the linkage in my 99.5 (same as a mk3) and it was still sloppy and horrible. The early linkage just isn't a good design.

-J

keithtdi

TDI
Bora
IDParts now has two solutions to fix 5-speed manual transmissions in MkIV Jetta TDI, Golf TDI or New Beetle TDI that have worn shifter assemblies and shift difficultly or have grinding problems.

The Shift Tower Repair Kit replaces the shift tower components, including the ball-bearing guide sleeve. The shift tower moved up and won but should not move side-to-side. Worn shift tower components will allow the tower to shift around and make the car difficult to shift into and out of gear.

The Gear Selector Repair Kit for MkIV manuals replaces the gear select lever on the top of the shift tower. This lever system uses nylon-bushing guides that are starting to wear through, once again knocking the shifter out of alignment. The new gear selector comes with two new bushings, a new guide channel and a new end clip.

Hard shifting can also be caused by old or incorrect manual transmission fluid. Refresh the fluid with new VW OEM G 070 fluid for better lubrication.

will this bearing fit a 99 model TDI? mine is 2000 but its early 2000 and my linkage ends are the pop on ball bearing type which i believe are 99 spec ones? and could i change to the new type as pictured above?

Status
Not open for further replies.