www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:52   #46
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

How do you do a VE for a cylinder head itself?

What do you compare it to?
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:59   #47
JFettig

How? I'm not sure, I sure would be interested in learning.

What I'd use it for is calculating flow on compressor maps for sizing turbos.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:49   #48
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Well, lets see...

1) You could evaluate the VE of an engine, then port the head and re-evaluate the VE. You'd have to insure that cam timing was identical before/after though.

2) You could have a valve that seats on a tube the same diameter as the valve seat that is 20+ diameters long (for established flow). Evaluate the pressure drop vs flow at the same length as the runner in the actual head. The thought being that this would be the ideal port - no bends, no swirl, constant area, etc. This gets a bit messy though because you want swirl and the ports are not constant area and the flow is not steady state.

3) The typical that I've seen is a comparison to a stock head on a flow bench - % increase/decrease in flow/swirl/tumble over stock.

These are just a couple ideas off the top of my head...For it to be an efficiency, you need something to compare it to - what is 100%? Also, putting the RPM component in adds another few dimensions of complexity.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 23:56   #49
sam2007
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 hwy

I see people here keep asking about hogging out ports go check out motoman.com good information there, last time i checked the the 1.9 tdi's etc. are small bore 4 cylinder motors large ports are for large motors and top end HP. if you make these ports much larger you can loose power everywhere else

here is some information for porting the 1.9 alh > EXHAUST PORT as viewed mounted on the motor > the top only of the exit area of the exhaust port runner where it meets the manifold to about one inch in only remove about one mm or so there. 2 smooth the ridge in the bowl clean up under the seat where the bowl hog from the factory ended maintain a circle in the bowl go for the consistent radius 3 short side very slight rounding of the sharp edge.

intake port its a large runner and port don't enlarge it anywhere 1 clean up just under seat where the bowl hog from the factory ended> maintain a circle in the bowl go for the consistent radius. 2 short side very slight rounding of the sharp edge.
make that the end all of the porting its only a 4 cylinder > if you only care about hp. and top end only power open the exhaust port like above but more. i would avoid at all cost excessive rounding of the short side areas.all.

Last edited by sam2007; October 22nd, 2012 at 17:40.
sam2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:32   #50
MarkoP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 5.3L/100km

5-years old pictures, but still valid =)
Not actually molds of ported heads, but good view about what we are talking here about:

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:44   #51
JFettig

Marco, your contributions are much appreciated!

I'm assuming in your last pic that most of the bump in the swirl port on a PD must be left alone?
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:51   #52
MarkoP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
I'm assuming in your last pic that most of the bump in the swirl port on a PD must be left alone?
It depends what are the goals, but I have ad more luck with swirl than no swirl.
7-years ago I ported one with swirl removed and it made extremely smoky 295hp.. of course injectors and turbos are improved, but now days I can make same or more flow and more power without smoke and that's enough for most.

PD and VE intake ports are the same and they also flow the same.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:00   #53
JFettig

Marko - The bump I'm speaking of is the extra material in the PD bowl that allows clearance for the injector, its 5 oclock to the valve guide.

So you have removed swirl all together in a port? Thats interesting and good to know someone has done it
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:04   #54
MarkoP
Veteran Member

If you remove injector hump completely, you might end to injector hole, or at least really close.

We made some trials without swirl, but I made another head later for that engine with swirl.
Old September 21st, 2012, 13:39   #55
chapelhill
Veteran Member

Injector bump on pd. I rounded port to follow the natural curve as if the bump had never been there and then ground away at the point to see how much material was left. Unless you are going to go to bigger valves I don't think there was much risk of breaking through. I am sure I saw some pictures of a ported head somewhere where it looked like it had broken through. I think the cylinder is sealed by the copper washer and the fuel channels by the seals on the injector, so in theory it might no be an issue, but I don't know if there are other considerations.

I have some moulds of pre and post porting for my cylinder head but not much time, but since I am a DIY porter I have no idea if they are any good. I also have a mould of the area between inlet manifold and inlet port for about an inch each way. I will try to get it done in the next week or so.
Mercedes E280CDI for the wife!
chapelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 03:07   #56
gabrielT

www.gtengines.sk

Last edited by gabrielT; July 2nd, 2015 at 03:20.
gabrielT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 16:16   #57
GOFAST

TDI(s): vento afn

wow that looks really nice.
wish mine was like that.
how many hours of work did you spend on it ?
Old August 15th, 2015, 23:10   #58
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFAST View Post
wow that looks really nice.
wish mine was like that.
how many hours of work did you spend on it ?
it goes reasonably quick, long as you've got a coarse tooth die grinder burr that's made for aluminum
ETA: and enough air compressor to run it for a while, hah
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:49   #59
vwUMO
TDIClub Enthusiast

I just finished on my CJAA head and there doesn't appear to be many places to improve on stock other than casting/machine marks and polishing. I removed so little material, I thought I was on season 1 of Gold Rush . The effort feels like a waste of time but now I know what things look like in there. Time to get it buttoned back up and get this part of the project reassembled. This mod. Brought to you by red bull.
2013 jetta TDI 6MT 41k
vwUMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 16:51   #60
Sebster

TDI(s): Passat b5.5
Fuel Economy: Much as you feel in...

Just wondering why people touching inlets and changin geometry of them???
That not good idea, there is just nothing to do with inlets. They can be just smoothed what not changing any thing.
You can do exhaust for mearly 10mm bigger and deeper and thats all.
+ ofcourse polish it up.

Il upload picture if some one tell me how
Sebster is offline   Reply With Quote