www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:58   #1
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Default Under Hood Insulation Coming Loose FIX!?!?

I used closed cell, blue ridged insulation, cut in strips of various lengths. It is just wide enough to fit, held in by interference with the slot in the hood. I'll let you know how it works, but insulation hanging down not acceptable. ANY OTHER IDEAS? I was going to take it down and glue something ridged to the liner to make it stay better, but this is the Beta version, MkI attempt.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; January 2nd, 2012 at 12:21.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:32   #2
Samcar222
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-38 MPG town, 45-48 hw; {40 town, 51.6 hw w/ massive tailwind, 42.6/tank are records}

Interesting. Our JSW hasn't experienced this yet, but my MkV GLI has. I've wanted to remedy this, as it looks like an airflow sensor (going to the turbo) on my GLI has warn/burnt a hole in the fiber insulation :O
Samcar222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 15:04   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I cleaned all the old foam from the plastic engine cover and put a couple of layers of Dynamat. It is a soft sound absorbing material easy to cut to fit. I has worked well for me. It is often used for audio systems.
Old January 5th, 2012, 17:38   #4
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I just had both cars hood insulation replace under warranty.I had the same concern about air over the turbo.
Old May 27th, 2012, 22:23   #5
epc
Veteran Member

My Golf TDI after 65k miles has the same problem. The heat from the area between the firewall and the engine on the passenger side is making the mat floppy and unable to retain its shape, so the tab on the mat cannot stay inside the slot on the underside of the hood.

Any idea? I am thinking about yanking off the entire mat...
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:21   #6
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Try to get it replace under warranty a new one is around $100.They did change the design.If you take it off the may burn the paint on the hood.

The one thing that did work but it was a pain to get in with out scratching the paint.I used the metal spring end on a heavy duty clip the type that holds stack of papers together. I can post a picture if you need to.Come on over I can help you out.

Ps I had both replace under warranty.

Tom
Old May 29th, 2012, 00:34   #7
spyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 average, so far.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...hoodliner.html

I've looked into this for my Karmann Ghia, but I suppose it would work just as well for the TDI. May be worth a look if you don't wanna bother with the OEM option, under the circumstances.
2010 JSW TDI, Salsa Red, 6 Spd
H&R Rear sway, DG Short Shifter
spyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 18:17   #8
epc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
Try to get it replace under warranty a new one is around $100.They did change the design.If you take it off the may burn the paint on the hood.

The one thing that did work but it was a pain to get in with out scratching the paint.I used the metal spring end on a heavy duty clip the type that holds stack of papers together. I can post a picture if you need to.Come on over I can help you out.

Ps I had both replace under warranty.

Tom
I have over 65k miles. I highly doubt they will warranty the mat. Could you post the part number of the new mat they gave you?
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:21   #9
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc View Post
I have over 65k miles. I highly doubt they will warranty the mat. Could you post the part number of the new mat they gave you?

The part number 1k0-863-831-D Sound ABS.

Tom
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:36   #10
veedubfreak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 golf

My 04 GLI did this. I was able to take the clips out and expand them a bit more to hold it in, but it still had a few spots that liked to fall over the clips.
veedubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 16:05   #11
Scorpo900

TDI(s): Golf 2011 4D
Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

I'm working on designing a retainer bra for it. for real! A few strips of metal band from front to back and a cross member in the center all welded together. The bra will be supported in the same support ports of the factory mat with rubber or similar brackets. Not even have a design yet. Will post progress.
Scorpo900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 18:56   #12
Scorpo900

TDI(s): Golf 2011 4D
Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

Done. :-)
Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Scorpo900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 17:02   #13
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpo900 View Post

Done. :-)
Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Nice Scorpo900.... clean looking.....

Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:45   #14
gloaming
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 25-35mpg city and 45-55mpg highway.

Has anyone just tried some glue? Mine is coming loose as well on the drivers side and it looks like it was factory glued with some type of adhesive. I wonder if crazy glue or Aileens craft glue will work? Though the craft glue will probably just melt under any type of heat circumstance
gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 16:01   #15
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloaming View Post
Has anyone just tried some glue? Mine is coming loose as well on the drivers side and it looks like it was factory glued with some type of adhesive. I wonder if crazy glue or Aileens craft glue will work? Though the craft glue will probably just melt under any type of heat circumstance
The back is fuzzy soft fiber like house insulation. You can't glue it. It would just bull the fuzzy insulation off. You could glue some nylon posts to the metal hood and push through insulation. You then would slid some kind of snap onto the post. I have looked at the auto part stores and they have stuff that is close.