www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:24   #1
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!
Default After car is shut off, I have a groan/vibration coming from drivers floorboard....

Fellas,

As the title suggests, after the car is shut off, I have a groan/vibration coming from the drivers side footwell/fire wall area. I notice it when I shut the car off, and remain seated in the car for a little while gathering my stuff. It subsides after 10 seconds or so. Seems like it could be vacuum system related-perhaps a damaged check valve or damaged vac brake booster. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:05   #2
tyrone shoelaces

push down the brake pedal while engine is running, remember how hard it is to push down, shut off your car, wait for it to make the sound and subside, then try pressing the brake pedal again, is it harder to press down then while the engine is running? if so then it is most likely your booster or a line to it is leaking and not holding the vaccum in, it is a standard when manufacturing vehicles that the booster should be able to hold enough of a vaccum so that if your engine was to stall that you should be able to get three to four good braking events out of the vehicle with the engine off, and the boosters are supposed to hold a vaccum for X amount of minutes without losing the vaccum it has stored.

Tyrell
Old December 31st, 2011, 16:24   #3
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone shoelaces View Post
push down the brake pedal while engine is running, remember how hard it is to push down, shut off your car, wait for it to make the sound and subside, then try pressing the brake pedal again, is it harder to press down then while the engine is running? if so then it is most likely your booster or a line to it is leaking and not holding the vaccum in, it is a standard when manufacturing vehicles that the booster should be able to hold enough of a vaccum so that if your engine was to stall that you should be able to get three to four good braking events out of the vehicle with the engine off, and the boosters are supposed to hold a vaccum for X amount of minutes without losing the vaccum it has stored.

Tyrell

It seems as though I can pump the brake a good four or five times after the car is shut off, and I still have vacuum brake assist. After the vacuum bleeds off, the brake pedal once again gets hard as expected. I know my vacuum system regarding vacuum lines and all is good. I have in the past replaced all the lines, resealed the vacuum pump outlet nipple, and repaired/replaced larger lines going to the brake booster. Only question now is if the vacuum check valve is having issues and oscillating intermittently when the system bleeds down. I will have to monitor things over time to come to a conclusion on this. I will give updates as I get new info.

Old December 31st, 2011, 16:49   #4
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

does the groan- vibration change in pitch or intensity when you step on the brake pedal ?
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 17:11   #5
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorge View Post
does the groan- vibration change in pitch or intensity when you step on the brake pedal ?

Well, never though to check that when it was happening. That is a good idea, and one I hope to look into soon. Although it is somewhat intermittent and hard to catch.