W8 Wagon to 1.9TDI 6 Speed 4Motion

A

antigasser1

In the process of converting a 2003 W8 wagon to a 1.9TDI 6 speed 4motion. Got my hands on a complete 2003 1.9TDI 6 speed 4motion drivetrain that I plan to convert into the W8. Hope to have it in and running in a couple of weeks. Will post pics of the project shortly.

A

antigasser1

Damnit! I'm doing the same swap for a customer shortly! Mine was supposed to be the first haha!
Sorry to hear that, I've had the swap for a while now but couldn't find the right car to put it into. Here's a couple of pics of the car getting the implant.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Its all good man, just razzing ya! That's a super nice car; I'm doing a sedan. When you get to the software part, I have some info that will greatly help you :).

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Subscribed doesn't even capture it...I'll follow this more closely than a gaggle of buzzards on a $h*t wagon.:D:D:D:D

k_harley

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Here is my first B5 swap 99% complete. Its driveable, but still needs some work. Why not start with a MUCH more readily available and MUCH cheaper V6 4 motion?

This one will be fore sale shortly.

Last edited:
A

antigasser1

Got the W8 drivetrain out today, took about 4 hours with the rad support. It's unbelievable how packed in that motor is in there. Wiring shouldn't be a problem, got a complete running European PD130 swap still in a shell. Next thing is the dash that has to come out to swap in the pedal assembly. Here are some pics of the motor out & the actual donor swap.

k_harley

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Dude, just get out the sawsall and welder and forget pulling the motor!

How much did you get that clip for if you dont mind me asking?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ha ha...I'm looking at the crate in the floor board of your donor and thinking how you could resist the urge to drive it tail dragger style all over the yard and up and down the road shooting sparks!! :D

ECFG

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI, Vanagon Westphalia Syncro TD, 2004 Jetta Wagen TDI
Fantastic project Antigasser1. I'd like to do the same with my B5.5 Passat 4Motion - put a TDI in it. Did you source your 1.9l engine and tranny from Europe?? Could you share the engine and tranny codes with us? Thanks

A

antigasser1

Well, I had to take a few days off to spend with the family. Got the pedal assembly done from the automatic to standard. Went pretty easy, thought it would be a lot more complicated. Next week hope to have the swap in and running. Here's a few more pics of the donor car. BTW, paid $7500 for the swap, complete car except for the roof and doors. The engine code is AVF and once I pull the motor out will check on the code for the transmission.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Subscribed. antigasser one, this swap looks friggin' awesome. Thanks for writing it up. Very interesting.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Fantastic project Antigasser1. I'd like to do the same with my B5.5 Passat 4Motion - put a TDI in it. Did you source your 1.9l engine and tranny from Europe?? Could you share the engine and tranny codes with us? Thanks
Just use BHW passat bits and put a tdi 6th gear in your trans (if yours is a 6 spd). The ecu software for doing the auto delete from the tdi ecu will be available shortly from one of our tuners ;).

A

antigasser1

Finally got to do some more work on the project, stripped the donor and got everything done as far as the engine compartment goes. powertrain is ready to go in.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Subbed!
let me know if you want to sell that W8 motor! I need a new table piece for the office.

A

antigasser1

Finally the swap is in and it's running, everything works. Should be on the road next week, just got to put the bumper cover on and swap out the rear diff and hook up the exhaust. It turned out to be more complicated than I thought, mainly due to the fact going from an automatic to standard. Here's some more pics.

k_harley

TDI
Wow, that was fast!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
So all the pins in the body harness are the same between the TDI and W8 harnesses? If so, that will make life so much easier for me a month or so.

Congrats on getting her running!

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
might be kind of late to suggest this but if you convert to an AWP serpentine set up you can maintain the A/C on the driver side of the car!

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
So all the pins in the body harness are the same between the TDI and W8 harnesses? If so, that will make life so much easier for me a month or so.
If you use the Passat TDI european harness.

Using a FWD jetta/Golf harness will require modification.