Mileage To Date-How Many Months-Major Issues?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No need for a fuelly account... my brain is the hard drive!
That's neat, but it doesn't help others that may be looking to purchase a similar car or have one and would like to compare data.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
4000, since 11/20/12.. had to go back once to get the front license plate holder installed. Was a dealer trade and didn't come with one. lol Mine is opera red, had a 2005 samoan red, really a dark brown( vw seems to have trouble with red and passats) getting 40-41 hand figured (42-43 on display) with DSG.
Having had an 05,(which was totaled) I have a little different perspective. 05 made in Germany so I was looking for alot of quality issues. Have been pleasantly surprised with the car. Build date 10/12. My wife's only complaint is the bun warmers, on the 05 it also did your lower back which she enjoyed. When this car is broken in I see it getting better mileage than the 05.
I had to have the gear job that replaced the chain on the 05 and 2 headlights replaced, other than that no problems. Hope this car is as good
Can't wait to run out of warranty so Chris Fisher in Huntingdon, Pa can work on the car. If you ever need a tdi worked on in central pa see Chris.
also anyone afraid of this car because of adblu, get over it. I think they should put it on jettas and golfs.
Interesting info. What MPG did you get in the 05? My GF has one that has a personal best of 40, our 13 just pulled in 44 on the first tank. She hasn't complained on the seat heater and she uses it every time her butt hits the seat.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
No thanks to the Fuelly idea... I think there are enough participants; I don't want to spend the time I have entering data into a computer about my car's fuel economy... I have better things to do with my time.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
No thanks to the Fuelly idea... I think there are enough participants; I don't want to spend the time I have entering data into a computer about my car's fuel economy... I have better things to do with my time.
Like using the extra 30 seconds it takes to enter data into fuelly to surf this forum? ;)

Personally I could care less if you have an acct. I find it handy especially in year to year comparisons. It helps ME track down problems and take care of them before they become big issues. I go up and down the road alot and if I have something mechanical going on that's robbing MPG it hits my pocket book quickly, so I use it to help me avoid issues. I also keep the acct to help others decide if the car I am driving would work for them.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife's only complaint is the bun warmers, on the 05 it also did your lower back which she enjoyed.
I checked the heat seaters on the 13 Passat yesterday and our seat heaters definately heat the back of the seat, just like the 05 and 06. Trust me, if it did'nt the GF would be complaining! :)

You may want to look into yours.

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
I will look into the seat heater. Do other people's heater just do the rump?
my 05 got 34-37 around town and in the winter. On trips 42-43 if I kept my foot out of it.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Completed a 1200 mile round trip last week and averaged 37 and 38 mpg (calculated). Just turning 9k after two months. Guess I need to schedule my 10K service before my next trip. FYI, I pulled an oil sample @7K and sent it off to Blackstone for analysis. Results came back real good for factory oil. The additives were still good and no fuel dilution. Oh and the seat heaters in my '13 SEL heat the backs too...

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
I have 20,500 miles. I have had the car for 15 months.

Other than few rattles (still have one or two unresolved) no major engine or other mechanical issues. My car came with Continental tires and while they are not as good as the Michelin tires lot of people put on, they seem to be doing fine and holding up well. I have 7/32 tread on all four tires.
I almost spent the money on Michelin tires in the begining when I bought the car but than I came to my senses and decided to continue using oem tires.

I think all the dynamat I put on the car also made it possible to keep using those tires. My friend who rides in my car occasionally says my car feels like a "vault" compared to other Passats:D

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
I will look into the seat heater. Do other people's heater just do the rump?
my 05 got 34-37 around town and in the winter. On trips 42-43 if I kept my foot out of it.
Our '12 heats buns and lower back... The wife likes going for a drive when her back is bothering her. :D

Oh and 17,000+ miles with no issues.

MarkG

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, Metallic Gray/Black
27,000 miles, averaging 42.0 MPG mixed HW/City. No issues other than a rattle that has been tough to duplicate when I get service. Lots of compliments and I love the ride and comfort. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone.

I have seen a little drop in mpg with the winter diesel and the relatively cold temps here in TX.

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I purchased my Passat on 03/02/12 and I'm already at 33k averaging 42.4 MPG on the highway. No major issues yet, just getting my pockets ready for the 40k mile service.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...I think all the dynamat I put on the car also made it possible to keep using those tires. My friend who rides in my car occasionally says my car feels like a "vault" compared to other Passats:D...
Thread drift: Where did you add the dynamat? I've got a stack of it and I'm just itching to install it.
I completely dynamated our 01 Honda Odyssey (long gone): doors, entire floor, rear fenders. It made a huge difference. Because of the large body panels, etc. on the Passat, it would benefit from the dampening...

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Foggy piece of chrome trim (replaced) and defective rear glass (also replaced) no mechanical issues to date with 9k on the ticker .

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
2013 Passat 9529 miles turbo broke on 1/20/13 Dealer had to get turbo from Germany got the car back on 1/29/13

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I'm @ 28,950 miles thus far... hit a deer. Gotta get new hood, plastic grille, internal plastic pieces in front of radiator...been driving it still for 4 days. No issues performance wise. Just gotta get the adjustor to come & see the car, get the body shop to order the parts, and wait... in the mean time, I'm driving it 'til then. Gotta love the fuel economy...!

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I am at 49,500 miles today in 14 months. No issues with the car other than the crummy Hankook tires which I just got rid of. I have averaged 41.3 mpgs while driving between 75 and 80 mps on average. When I drive most of the tank at 90+ mphs I drop down to 37 mpgs.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I am at 49,500 miles today in 14 months. No issues with the car other than the crummy Hankook tires which I just got rid of. I have averaged 41.3 mpgs while driving between 75 and 80 mps on average. When I drive most of the tank at 90+ mphs I drop down to 37 mpgs.
You must have a manual.

coastie

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, Blue - Retired 224,000mi
Picked up 12/27/11
First fuel up (8.19 gallons) 1/11/12.
CEL came on this past Friday (1/13) on the way home. Called dealer, 1st chance to look at it Tue. 1/17 8am. Dropped it off Monday night. This morning (Tue.) at 8:05am get a call from dealer.
Dealer: Mr. Wilson your car is ready!
Me: Already? What cause the CEL?
Dealer: Adblue sensor was sending out a low reading.
Me: Was the adblue low already? It's supposed to last 15k miles & the car only has 300 miles on it!
Dealer: No, the tech said it only took a very small amount, so he reset the CEL.
Me: Is it possible the sensor is bad?
Dealer: We don't know.
Me: You don't know? So you are just going to wait to see if it happens again then check it out?
Dealer: The tech didn't say anything about it.
Me: I will pick it up after work.
If this happens again I will start a new thread if one is not here yet.
I bought a 2103 Passat on Friday and I am having the exact same issue (yet to be confirmed by the dealer). CEL and AdBlue light came on yesterday at about 150mi. I suspect the reservoir never got a full fill or the sensor is bad. Headed to the dealer for service tomorrow. Did this problem ever reoccur?

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
<<You must have a manual>>

I have an automatic actually dsg. I had one typo previously - when I go over 80 mphs I drop down to around 38 mphs.

Ed

billc509

TDI
2013 Passat
2013 Passat with cloudy window trim

The plastic chrome trim will get cloudy looking from using automatic carwashes. Apparently the harsh detergent reacts with the "chrome" trim. The dealer replaced mine under warranty. Not happy, but I will start handwashing my car.
Does anyone know FOR SURE how to protect the trim? Obviously it would have to be reapplied often if using carwashes.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
billc509: Quite frankly, I'd be more worried about the paint/automatic carwashes. While the paint may be "state-of-the-art" in the application technology, there have been many complaints about its integrity...chipping easily.
That's just me, though. I'm 58, probably used a carwash fewer than 10 times...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
29,000 miles. Only issue is a very intermittent sunroof drain leak that the dealer is going to investigate at the 30,000 mile service.

I noticed yesterday that the Sirius antenna seems to be getting some UV damage from the sun - starting to look a little cloudy instead of shiny. There are a few paint blemishes, as well. I think Jason and I are going to have the whole car touched up, detailed, waxed, and then Opti Coated to protect the seemingly delicate paint for a long time to come.

So far it's a great car and these are very manageable minor issues. :cool:

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
29,000 miles. Only issue is a very intermittent sunroof drain leak that the dealer is going to investigate at the 30,000 mile service.

I noticed yesterday that the Sirius antenna seems to be getting some UV damage from the sun - starting to look a little cloudy instead of shiny. There are a few paint blemishes, as well. I think Jason and I are going to have the whole car touched up, detailed, waxed, and then Opti Coated to protect the seemingly delicate paint for a long time to come.

So far it's a great car and these are very manageable minor issues. :cool:
Opti-coat is awesome stuff! Have you kept wax on the Sirius antenna? Just curious if it is something to worry about for the long-term (the fading that is).

Thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
18,500 and lowcoolant warning this morning, debating to have them pressure test it and deal with a loaner and muiltiple trips to the dealer or just have them top it off.

I feel this is going to be more than just top it off once and never deal with it again.