www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 21st, 2011, 17:42   #1
csandGOLF

Fuel Economy: ~40 MPG
Default 2011 Golf Vibration/shuddering issue. Advice needed.

Hi all, thanks for all of the great information on this forum. I'm having some problems with my 2011 Golf TDi 6 speed manual at 7,300 miles and just dropped it off for the dealer to check out. I'm looking for any feedback or advice people might have about the things I've been experiencing- and getting worse, over the past couple thousand miles:

* Issue 1

Shaking/bouncing oscillating or quivering sensation, abnormal

Clear feeling of an impact/thud/clunk and roughness when accelerating and also when letting off the accelerator, going into engine braking: 60 MPH accelerating and then letting off the accelerator in forth gear is worst example.

Worst at highway speeds, at first occurred only on the highway, feels like something is undampened, bouncing around. Felt through seat/cabin and a little bit in the steering wheel.

Worsened to all the time any speed (over 3 month span)

Pulsing vibration felt through the clutch pedal- worst in mid-travel- did not do this as noticeably when new- felt even at idle and in neutral.

Possibly?
Motor mount/transmission mount problem , Axle, cv joint, loose front subframe bolts?

Issue 2:

Occurred 1 time 12-19-11

Early morning 17 degrees in morning drive to work, then in 40s in afternoon. One drive home, car started normally- then when I accelerated into first gear, the car briefly lost power- noisy, violent engine stuttering- thought it would stall- floored it for a second or two to keep it going, then was fine the rest of the drive

Possibly?
intercooler icing issue?- TSB exists for winter intercooler kit.
Does this sound like intercooler icing? It turned over no problem.

Thank you very much for any input- expecting a call from the dealer tomorrow...

csandGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 18:02   #2
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csandGOLF View Post
Hi all, thanks for all of the great information on this forum. I'm having some problems with my 2011 Golf TDi 6 speed manual at 7,300 miles and just dropped it off for the dealer to check out. I'm looking for any feedback or advice people might have about the things I've been experiencing- and getting worse, over the past couple thousand miles:

* Issue 1

Shaking/bouncing oscillating or quivering sensation, abnormal

Clear feeling of an impact/thud/clunk and roughness when accelerating and also when letting off the accelerator, going into engine braking: 60 MPH accelerating and then letting off the accelerator in forth gear is worst example.

Worst at highway speeds, at first occurred only on the highway, feels like something is undampened, bouncing around. Felt through seat/cabin and a little bit in the steering wheel.

Worsened to all the time any speed (over 3 month span)

Pulsing vibration felt through the clutch pedal- worst in mid-travel- did not do this as noticeably when new- felt even at idle and in neutral.

Possibly?
Motor mount/transmission mount problem , Axle, cv joint, loose front subframe bolts?

Issue 2:

Occurred 1 time 12-19-11

Early morning 17 degrees in morning drive to work, then in 40s in afternoon. One drive home, car started normally- then when I accelerated into first gear, the car briefly lost power- noisy, violent engine stuttering- thought it would stall- floored it for a second or two to keep it going, then was fine the rest of the drive

Possibly?
intercooler icing issue?- TSB exists for winter intercooler kit.
Does this sound like intercooler icing? It turned over no problem.

Thank you very much for any input- expecting a call from the dealer tomorrow...

Issue 2. Same thing happened to me. So bad that at first I thought I'd blown a shift, and if you look out the mirror, lots of water vapour coming out the tailpipe. Engine swallows a slug of water, which is not good.

That's intercooler icing. The second time it happened, I had a hard start that evening as well after the car sat all day while at work.
05 Passat TDI
Toys: 79 Beech Sundowner, 12 Cervelo R3 Team Ultegra, '94 Marinoni Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 22:59   #3
Rauss
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Worst 38mpg \ Best 52mpg

Same thing happened to me this week. Water in IC not good for an engine.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:31   #4
bmble b

Fuel Economy: 40/45

Sounds a bit like gelled up fuel but given the intercooler issues and where you live I'd point to that. Try and drain the bottom hose of the intercooler and see if anything comes out.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 17:42   #5
csandGOLF

Update:

I just picked up the car from the dealer- as far as the vibration thing goes, they claim to not feel it- maybe it's just me. I took a ride with a mechanic with me and was unable to duplicate the problem- driving in traffic... I'll just monitor if it gets worse as time goes on.

As far as issue 2, they mentioned that they have heard of the intercooler icing problem, but were vague about whether they would be willing to implement the TSB on my car- apparently I need to have another occurrence before they will do it. At least they acknowledge it might be an issue and were extremely nice to speak with. For now, I'm going to try not to worry and just enjoy driving my car. It's still the best car I've ever owned- just don't want any problems with a brand new car.
Old December 24th, 2011, 00:00   #6
fastalan
Veteran Member

I park my TDI outside the garage and on rare occasion I too have the engine shuddering issue during a cold and damp morning start. I am not referring to the actual starting of the engine, but starting/rolling the car in 1st gear with a cold engine for the first time of the day. My engine has never had problem starting, not yet.

A) Only when I intentionally start in 1st gear at very very low rpm (1000-1200rpm range) would I experience this problem.

B) The engine shuddering has never occurred in reverse gear, only under forward gear.

C) If I plug in my block heater 2-3 hours before I drive the car for the first time in the cold and damp morning, I do not seem to recall any shuddering issue.

D) I do not seem to recall this problem during the warmer months, definately never during the summer. Every time this happens I remember the weather being wet, cold and uncomfortable.

E) The sympton only started to occur early this year, probably during the very early months of 2011.

F) I did try to loosen up the intercooler hose last month to check for junks but the weather was so cold and wet, the rubber pipe was hard like hell and there was no way lose it up. I'll get dealer to clean it next time during service.

G) I do not recall this problem during consecutive days of spirited driving. Recently I have been running snow tires with some horrible dry handling so my speed and engine rev have dropped down quite a lot.

The block heater was plug on this morning, it was wet and cold, no shuttering. I am going to record my cold start for the next 30 days under various conditions, hopefully we can find out some pattern.
fastalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:42   #7
ihatespeed

problem one sounds like a dual mass flywheel issue, I think it is more likely to manifest itself in slightly modified cars..
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:14   #8
xeno555
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespeed View Post
problem one sounds like a dual mass flywheel issue, I think it is more likely to manifest itself in slightly modified cars..
On a 6 speed manual?
xeno555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 20:56   #9
ihatespeed

yes, all vw manuals in the last decade or so have them, basically the flywheel is two parts that are damped against each other with springs and fluid.. I have a 6mt with the full exhaust and a stage two tune, under high load situations say accelerating at around 2000 rpm in 5th or 6th going up hill I get a shudder. best guess right now is I am at the hairy edge of the stock clutches torque capability and it is slipping / chattering..
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:24   #10
Type_TDi

TDI(s): 2010 Golf

Csandgolf,

Did you ever resolve problem #1?

Having similar issues and about the only thing that hasn't been checked it the clutch/flywheel.

Mine is a 2010 golf tdi 6mt with 27k miles.
Type_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:03   #11
csandGOLF

Hi Type_TDI,

Issue 2 is resolved, hopefully, since my dealer finally installed the cold weather intercooler kit last month.

As far as issue 2 is concerned, I do occasionally feel some slight vibrations and here and there, but I think it's primarily the crap roads I'm driving on most of the time to be honest... I have noticed that there seems to be some slack somewhere in the drivetrain (6M) because if you get on and off the gas quickly in certain gears and speeds (like 45 MPH in 3rd or 4th) I can feel a slight clunk. I think it's probably just soft motor mounts and I'm trying to stop worrying about it. I'm at about 16,000 miles now. I figure if it gets worse, I'll bug the dealer about it again.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:10   #12
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

I have 2012 golf, do i need the intercooler kit installed as a preventive measure or its been taken care of for the new cars? Build date 3/12
bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 14:13   #13
v1k1ng01
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespeed View Post
yes, all vw manuals in the last decade or so have them, basically the flywheel is two parts that are damped against each other with springs and fluid.. I have a 6mt with the full exhaust and a stage two tune, under high load situations say accelerating at around 2000 rpm in 5th or 6th going up hill I get a shudder. best guess right now is I am at the hairy edge of the stock clutches torque capability and it is slipping / chattering..
I have the same issues with shuddering with my 2011 TDI DSG. In lower gears at low rpm the car shudders like it doesn't know to drop gear or stay in.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 14:24   #14
bassman5066
Veteran Member

As for the vibration while accelerating and the 'what feels like clutch chatter', I've had that on my car since the day it was delivered with 5 miles on it. I've just come to terms with the fact that its a diesel, and you can't dampen every vibration it puts out. The dealer also confirmed that when I inquired about it.

Issue #2 definatly sounds like condensation in the IC, and from what I've heard the dealership tsb 'fix' for it dosn't really work and just adds a bunch of restrictions to your intake air path. I have not had any of the symptoms described for the intercooler icing, and I live in what is usually a cold climate(with the exception of the past winter that never was). I had the car up in NH for a week in 10 degree weather this year also.

Even with no symptoms, I will crack open the IC pipe and drain it every oil change from now on. Its just like cleaning the intake manifold when you do a timing belt, just a fact of owning a tdi.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 14:34   #15
NewLyme
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.41 mpg City/Hwy Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwM5power View Post
I have 2012 golf, do i need the intercooler kit installed as a preventive measure or its been taken care of for the new cars? Build date 3/12
I was just at the dealer Fri. 6/29 and asked the service tech the same question. He told me that a change was made in the mfg. of the intercooler and that I wouldn't need the kit. He said something about the outlet hose being mounted higher than the inlet now, if I remember right. My build date 11/11.
NewLyme is online now   Reply With Quote