www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:20   #16
Herm TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
OK, here's a newby question, why and how often does the DSG fluid need draining/changing?
Every 40,000 miles is the scheduled service interval for the DSG.
Why...This gear-box is not one you should consider the idea of "skipping" the service, this gear-box isn't cheap.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:32   #17
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
OK, here's a newby question, why and how often does the DSG fluid need draining/changing?
Why - also because you may want VW to not have a compelling reason to deny warranty service on your DSG should you have an issue during the 5/60 warranty period. But you can do whatever you want.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:20   #18
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Is the first DSG oil change covered under free maintenance?
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:26   #19
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Of course it's not .... The 40k is the first expensive service interval
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:49   #20
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
Of course it's not .... The 40k is the first expensive service interval
Last I checked, DIY the DSG service for about $120 and oil change, fuel, air, and cabin filters for another $100 in parts. IMHO, $220 is inexpensive, if you DIY.

One can then afford to buy a VCDS (and a few tools like sockets for the filter caps, Walmart funnel, and torx and allen bits) with the money saved over dealer charge by DIY.

Of course if you take it to the dealer, they will do a lot more for the 40k service than the above like: check coolant, brakes, battery, cv joints, exhaust, lights, wipers, sunroof, and a lot more for likely another 2 hours of labor charges for a total bill likely in excess of $600. Now that's getting up there.
Old January 4th, 2012, 14:31   #21
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

^^^bingo^^^
Old April 22nd, 2012, 17:36   #22
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best
Default Extended use on tranny fluid

Has anyone tested their tranny fluid after a DSG service? I'm curious to know if we can go longer than 40K. I'm looking at going 45K before I change it. When I did the first 40K service, the original tranny fluid I drained looked exactly the same as the new tranny fluid. Felt the same. I know this isn't scientific, but basically it looked the same. No contaminants or strange looking crud in it. With a sealed system, the amount of debris would be minimal. Unless the components of the transmission are grinding, the wear and tear on the transmission should be minimal. I honestly think we can go longer than 40K. Isn't the Audi with the same engine/tranny schedule for 50K?
If anyone has any info on "extended life" transmission fluid change, please share.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 18:09   #23
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Did your 2009 qualify for the DSG 100k mile extended warranty?

If so, why chance getting a potential DSG claim denied because you didn't follow the maintenance schedule. Control valves varnish up in the mechatronics unit and it needs replaced and VW denies claim because you didn't perform the maintenance on time.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:24   #24
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

The majority of 'debris' in the fluid would likely be from the clutches wearing....
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:30   #25
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best

Plus 3- think I will change at 80K to keep VW on my side until the 100K warranty is up.
Would the DSG last longer (less wear and tear) if you keep it in Auto vs. manual shifting?
Old August 16th, 2012, 19:14   #26
Dunno513
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5 lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm TDI View Post
I'v done a few of the DGS services. I have built a "Herm-O-filler" for the DSG service through the filter mounting. The Herm-O-Filler does the fill in less than 10 minutes.
I'm not sure if Herm sold his patent on the Herm-o-filler but I bought a $3 oil fill tube at Walmart and I swear it was designed for the TDI DSG to fill from the top side.

The end of the tube slides right inside the neck of the filter housing, the oil cap adapter fits the new VW bottles, and it has a nifty screw on/off valve to keep it neat. The only downside is you have to cut a small air slit in the bottom of the bottle once upside down.

They also sell a funnel with the same tube and end that would work well too.

To give you a time frame, I put a bottle on, pulled the lug nut caps off of each wheel, and by the time I got back around to the front, bottle was empty. Simply closed the valve, pulled it off the hose, put a new bottle on, reattached the hose and opened the valve, then cut a slit.
Dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:17   #27
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunno513 View Post
I'm not sure if Herm sold his patent on the Herm-o-filler but I bought a $3 oil fill tube at Walmart and I swear it was designed for the TDI DSG to fill from the top side.

The end of the tube slides right inside the neck of the filter housing, the oil cap adapter fits the new VW bottles, and it has a nifty screw on/off valve to keep it neat. The only downside is you have to cut a small air slit in the bottom of the bottle once upside down.

They also sell a funnel with the same tube and end that would work well too.

To give you a time frame, I put a bottle on, pulled the lug nut caps off of each wheel, and by the time I got back around to the front, bottle was empty. Simply closed the valve, pulled it off the hose, put a new bottle on, reattached the hose and opened the valve, then cut a slit.
I saw that at Walmart a few months back and may buy it to replace my Walmart funnel when I do my 80k DSG fluid change.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:00   #28
Rico567
Veteran Member

Should we buy the NMS Passat w/DSG (which seems inevitable, because VW insists on not making the 6MT available at the high-end trim SEL), I would under no circumstances consider anything but the top-fill method described, and I don't even own the car yet.

It can be done in a completely straightforward manner, and the only "special tools" required are 1) a container suitable for a fairly close measurement of the amount of oil drained, and 2) the Wal-Mart funnel described...which is also available on Amazon for less than $7 as the "Hopkins FloTool 10704 Spill Saver Measu-Funnel."

Benefits:

No nonsensical $200+ Rube Goldberg apparatus from VW for filling from underneath.

No requirement to hook car to VCDS "intensive care" computer monitoring to check the bejeebering transmission oil temperature. (Yes, yes, I know there are many good reasons to own the VCDS software, but this isn't one of them.)

No overflow mess and oil wastage (this, in my mind, makes the whole VW procedure wasteful of resources and therefore environmentally unsound- a FAIL for VW engineering).

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 14:06   #29
Dunno513
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5 lifetime

With my newly discovered (but I'm not the first) commercial production Herm-O-Filler this change now takes less than an hour start to finish.

I simply drain and dump in 5 l. This past change I drained out a hair under 4.75 l. and that was after I did a by the book VCDS and all fluid level check 25k miles ago. Last fill (30k ago) I put in 5 l. also

The reason I checked the fluid at that time was I had a vibration... but that ended up being my new wheels and tires that I put on the same day as the DSG service... Who would have thought dealership bought new take offs would have been out of balance.

When I did the fluid check, less than a pint came out and I'm not a gambling man... but I'm willing to bet the farm that .25 l. isn't going to hurt nuthin...

I drain the tranny with the front wheels on ramps so I may be getting more out than if the car was level.
Dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 03:41   #30
Blackbird235

Dear readers

My name is Amir, i'm a newbie member in tdiclub.com from Tunisia. I was searching for a guide to change my DSG 6speed oil because i reached 40,000M. I have a passat cc 2.0 tdi CR DSG 6 model 2010. I saw the discussion about dsg oil change then intended to write you to get some infos about the top fill method if you would.
My DSG 02E has a volume of 7,2 litr, i saw your post about filling 4.6 in all cases without warming the car ( is that true ? )
Would you confirm the oil volume to add and which will be drained from the 02E DSG because i hesitate about the amount of my car! I saw a post about someone who get 3.5L drained! I'm affraid to do it and get more than 4.5L, some other postes said that they drained 5.5 L. Would you please clarify these infos for me and how to diy by filling from filter house and please the details about warming or not the DSG! The time if warming! It Would be wise from you to get the hole checklist.

Thank you much
Cordially
Blackbird235 is offline   Reply With Quote