Does the lite version of VCDS tell you which glow plug's bad?

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
Here's the code from VCDS-lite:

1 Fault Found:
17054 - Glow Plug Module 1; Glow Plug Circuit: Electrical Malfunction
P0670 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I didn't get more specific code telling me what exactly went wrong. Is it because I used a lite version (unregistered) or this code is the best the OBD can tell me? Thanks!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Glow Plug Circuit
That is as specific as it gets. SOMEthing in the circuit isn't right. Now go find wingnuts sticky on glow plugs 101, grab your multimeter and dig in,

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
Thanks. I have the following readings:

GP#1: 0.6 ohm
GP#2: 0.6 ohm
GP#3: 0.9 ohm
GP#4: 0.2 ohm

I think GP#3 and #4 (round tip, so it's hard to steady the multimeter on it) are different than GP#1 and #2 (flat tip), and #3 and #4 look newer. Probably bc the previous owner only changed #3 and #4 but now #3 goes bad since its ohm is too far from #4. Anyways, the next to do is replacing all I guess?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I have the following readings:

GP#1: 0.6 ohm
GP#2: 0.6 ohm
GP#3: 0.9 ohm
GP#4: 0.2 ohm

I think GP#3 and #4 (round tip, so it's hard to steady the multimeter on it) are different than GP#1 and #2 (flat tip), and #3 and #4 look newer. Probably bc the previous owner only changed #3 and #4 but now #3 goes bad since itughohm is too far from #4. Anyways, the next to do is replacing all I guess?
Thems are good numbers. Start looking at your glow plug control module. i'm not sure how to test that though.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
Thems are good numbers. Start looking at your glow plug control module. i'm not sure how to test that though.
I think someone said a difference of 0.5 ohm is good enough to trigger the CEL. So I'm more inclined to doubt the #3 and #4 glow plugs.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Pull them out, put them back in, retest. It would be better to be sure than to replace unneeded parts.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
Pull them out, put them back in, retest. It would be better to be sure than to replace unneeded parts.
Can I pull them out and measure the resistance between the two ends? Or that I have to measure the resistance when they are back in the engine? Oftimes I found the biggest contributor to inconsistent measure is finding a good ground.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, measure from the tip to the threads. Reinstalling them will just show if there was resistance in the threads.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
I turned out to replace #4 of 0.2 ohm with a new glow plug. It measured 0.8 ohm after installation. so all glow plugs are within 0.6~0.9 range. The CEL hasn't been on in the past week. Thanks for the suggestion!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Glad that fixed it. I am a fan of replacing all 4 glow plugs at a time as they all see the same amount of on time so the Mean Time To Failure will be be in a relatively tight time range. And then it is my empirical study that indicates that while resistance is a good screening mechanism for replacing glow plugs, testing them out of the car may show a glow plug that has high internal corrosion and does not heat up properly.

Yes I am an engineer/statistician.