Guess the Correct Answer In Order to Unsubscribe from Those Pesky ECS Tuning Emails

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
I got tired of those incessant emails from ECS Tuning featuring products for sale. Maybe you're bombarded with them, too. Are you???

Those emails wouldn't be so bad, except that as others have reported, ECS's customer service often leaves something to be desired. No need to re-hash that stuff here, however. Suffice it to say that I have grave doubts that I will be buying from them again because the 'German' tools I thought I was buying [TWICE!!!] had 'Made in Taiwan' labels on them. At least they could disclose that to me before I bought them. When I want Taiwanese, Chinese, or Malaysian tools -- or tools from some other country whose potential quality I know even less about -- I know where to get them. I don't need ECS's backhanded help to get there; I'm perfectly capable of going to Harbor Freight or Walmart or the local Vatozone myself.

So I cliked the unsubscribe link in the email, and to my surprise instead of getting a message like 'Thank you, our new best friend, you are now unsubscribed', I got a page with a number of boxes to check to completely unsubscribe -- AND -- get this -- a security question. A SECURITY QUESTION!!! Maybe there's a robot that goes around unsubscribing annoyed ECS customers, and that's got to be protected against.

But here's the even funnier thing -- that's right -- the question itself. How would you answer the following question:

The name of George is?

I can think of plenty of answers like 'irrelevant', or 'what the hell does that question mean', or 'why don't you and George both go f**k yourselves with a roto-rooter?', but needless to say, I had to wait for the next question when the page reloaded, as I couldn't get the correct answer to that first one. It's like going to the county fair; after you're done missing, you have to start the game again.

I suggest you all unsubscribe from the ECS Tuning emails and post your security question here. I'll bet almost everyone will find it therapeutic.

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
More answers if you're playing at home:

Washington
Clinton, as in Funkadelic
Sherman Hemsley -- now that would have been a good answer . . .
Orwell, as in the future has arrived
Harrison, Clooney, Boy, Lopez, et al -- as in maybe too easy
A noun
An appositive if punctuated correctly
An object if structured correctly: "Throw the roto-rooter to George, please".
Of the Jungle
Jorge as in Carlos' not so famous brother

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I've had this on my todo list for a while.

They send it to my generic email AND my Paypal email.

If I get to it tonight I'll post my experience.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
1 plus 6 is what?

Atleast mine had one answer.

Funny - I don't recall any "security" when I started getting their crap!

Now off to do the other email.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
"the number of body parts in the list foot, thumb,heart,shorts,stomach, and toe is?"

Please allow 24-48 hours......

My crap todo list is now shorter. And I was even somewhat amused.

Not as bad as a cell phone contreact or getting married. But definately harder to stop than start!

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
<SNIP> Not as bad as a cell phone contreact or getting married. But definately harder to stop than start!
Without dwelling on how I might have first hand information about this, those are both things you may eventually have to buy your way out of. I just might have the 'Been There, Bla Bla' 'T' shirt laying around here somewhere.

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
More Georges in the random order that I pulled them out of my a$$:

Thorogood, as in how does this guy have a career, much less a long one . . .
Burns, as in “say goodnight ECS’y. Goodnight ECS’y”.
Lucas
Foreman, as in ‘are the hamburgers ready yet, Honey’?
Jetson, as in he might as well be working the ECS customer service desk. Either way, the results are MEANT to be cartoon comedy . . .
Custer
Sand
Carlin
Gershwin
__ Bernard Shaw
Seurat (yeah, I tried to sleep through Art History, too)
Patton – missed him the first few times through the thought process. Epic CRS setting in here.

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Did you try to use George as your answer? :)
As DOK so piquantly pointed out to me when we were discussing this earlier (just before he said it was time for him to hang up and go hide from the stage crew so that he could nap on their dime), the right answer could easily have been 'George'. But as he so sagely also pointed out to me, for that sort of conclusion to be the first one to enter your mind, your I.Q. has to less than your age in whole integers. Regrettably, I'm disqualified here . . .

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I got tired of those incessant emails from ECS Tuning featuring products for sale. Maybe you're bombarded with them, too. Are you???

Those emails wouldn't be so bad, except that as others have reported, ECS's customer service often leaves something to be desired. No need to re-hash that stuff here, however. Suffice it to say that I have grave doubts that I will be buying from them again because the 'German' tools I thought I was buying [TWICE!!!] had 'Made in Taiwan' labels on them. At least they could disclose that to me before I bought them. When I want Taiwanese, Chinese, or Malaysian tools -- or tools from some other country whose potential quality I know even less about -- I know where to get them. I don't need ECS's backhanded help to get there; I'm perfectly capable of going to Harbor Freight or Walmart or the local Vatozone myself.

So I cliked the unsubscribe link in the email, and to my surprise instead of getting a message like 'Thank you, our new best friend, you are now unsubscribed', I got a page with a number of boxes to check to completely unsubscribe -- AND -- get this -- a security question. A SECURITY QUESTION!!! Maybe there's a robot that goes around unsubscribing annoyed ECS customers, and that's got to be protected against.

But here's the even funnier thing -- that's right -- the question itself. How would you answer the following question:

The name of George is?

I can think of plenty of answers like 'irrelevant', or 'what the hell does that question mean', or 'why don't you and George both go f**k yourselves with a roto-rooter?', but needless to say, I had to wait for the next question when the page reloaded, as I couldn't get the correct answer to that first one. It's like going to the county fair; after you're done missing, you have to start the game again.

I suggest you all unsubscribe from the ECS Tuning emails and post your security question here. I'll bet almost everyone will find it therapeutic.
I just unsubscribed from those pesky emails.
My security question: If tomorrow is Friday, what day is today?

I answered "Thursday" and it worked.

People are actually making the security questions harder than they are. The correct answer to "The name of George is?"...is nothing more than "George." It's like asking "What's the name of the man named Smith?" Answer: Smith. The security questions while hilariously stupid and irrelevant appear to be aimed at preventing automated submissions.

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Today I unsubscribed from Expedia. Just one click and I was done: Thank you. You have successfully unsubscribed from the Expedia email list.

Life is good, although Expedia was certainly less entertaining that ECS.

Last edited:

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Shoot I just deleted them and they went away after maybe 5 too bad I missed out on the fun.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You could resubscribe. I wonder if they have security questions on that, too... ;)

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
This has to be the funniest thing I have read in a while, particularly since it's ridiculously paired with the email unsubscribe system.

The sad thing is I knew the answer immediately because I see these types of questions on my college exams regularly, and respond similarly...

Q:"What is hydrogen oxide?"
A:"hydrogen oxide"

Technically correct. My college education at work. :rolleyes:

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Couldn't decide between Weight Watchers, Trip Advisor, and Williams Sonoma for today's delete. One click and it's done:

Bon Voyage - we hate to see you go
Your e-mail address xxxx@yyyy.com has been unsubscribed from Member Update. You may still be subscribed to other messages from TripAdvisor.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Equifax: We are unable to process your request. Please call customer service blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Equifax: We are unable to process your request. Please call customer service blah blah blah. :rolleyes:
Equifax. Good luck. You might as well try to unsubscribe from Advo -- the company that mails all the supermarket flyers and other junk crap on Wednesdays -- it isn't going to happen.

I have a stamp that says: 'DECEASED -- Return To Sender' that I use when I have a company that is sending printed stuff that won't listen to written and verbal reason. It goes on their return literature or reply card, and if I can't send something back in their postage paid envelope, I'll put their return address on their unstamped envelope and mail it back without postage. Enough is enough.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Just for kicks I tried every thing from the obvious to the far fetched every time it said wrong answer then I noticed they were on facebook emailed the sales dept. told them that I would never buy another thing from them again and then go on facebook to explain why, haven’t got an email since.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
A high school frinds's dad got killed in an industrial accident the summer we graduated.

He mother would keep getting junk mail in his name for manyyears and it bothered her.

So here is what she used to do and it worked. She'd rip it all up EXCEPT THE MAILING LABEL and stuff it all in the prepaid return envelope. The solicitor would get a desk of confetti and have the label to stop the new junk mail.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
A high school frinds's dad got killed in an industrial accident the summer we graduated.

He mother would keep getting junk mail in his name for manyyears and it bothered her.

So here is what she used to do and it worked. She'd rip it all up EXCEPT THE MAILING LABEL and stuff it all in the prepaid return envelope. The solicitor would get a desk of confetti and have the label to stop the new junk mail.
I do this all the time, and make sure to add lots of excess scrap paper so they have to pay more. I once mailed a brick to a car company in our state, but haven't heard back from them.

I still get lots of junk mail, so it doesn't work every time.

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
To get the paper junk to stop, I kept a word file for about 5 years that had the date, the company, and who I talked to or mailed or emailed to for removal. The flow eventually became a tiny trickle. But stopping the existing junk mail is just step one; there is still a bigger problem, and it is this:

Here's the set-up -- suppose you're a nice guy, and you've gone on Charity Navigator, etc., done your homework, and decided you ACTUALLY want to give a few bucks to the American Heart Association or the American Diabetes Association or some other charity or group of some sort. You see what's coming, right?

That's right -- your elderly aunt who doesn't need too much of anything needs a birthday present, and you don't want to look like the parsimonious a-hole you are ("tighter than a duck's arse" as the expression goes), so you figure you'll dontate a few bucks in her honor, and everybody will go home a winner. You'll look like a real humanoid of some sort, and your relatives will stop gossiping about you behind you back. Or at least the gossiping will be less barbed. Unfortunately this will turn out to be not just 'FAT CHANCE JUNIOR', but 'Sorry, you've only thought this half-way through'.

Woe is you!! Said commercial enterprise masquerading as a selfless band of saints on Earth immediately sells your information to a bunch of other feckless enterprises -- in fact, anyone who wants to buy (actually rent) the list from the mailing list company. If you don't diligently tend to the increasing amount of mail that you start to receive again, it will spiral out of control shortly and sharply.

Ask me how I know, or better yet, let me just give you a list of the worst ones (for me) to get to go away:

AARP -- various programs, offers, subsidiaries -- 11 requests.
American Diabetes Association -- 8 requests.
John Wayne Cancer Institute -- 5 requests.
Saint John's Health Center -- 6 requests.
Smithsonian Institution -- 7 requests.

You get the idea.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Calling Equifax now... Julie is their automated tel-tree wench. :rolleyes:

Now some other guy's voice is telling me some excited news about Equifax. Listening to the obnoxious phone tree, select three. I actually got a live person right away! After answering 5 security questions in order to properly identify myself, they opted me out of future mailings -- effective in 30 days.

We'll see what happens.

Left Coast Resident

Ub&#7869;r Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Calling Equifax now... Julie is their automated tel-tree wench. :rolleyes:

Now some other guy's voice is telling me some excited news about Equifax. Listening to the obnoxious phone tree, select three. I actually got a live person right away! After answering 5 security questions in order to properly identify myself, they opted me out of future mailings -- effective in 30 days.

We'll see what happens.
What kind of mailings do you get from Equifax? In any event, I'm very impressed!!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
More Georges in the random order that I pulled them out of my a$$:

Thorogood, as in how does this guy have a career, much less a long one . . .
Burns, as in “say goodnight ECS’y. Goodnight ECS’y”.
Lucas
Foreman, as in ‘are the hamburgers ready yet, Honey’?
Jetson, as in he might as well be working the ECS customer service desk. Either way, the results are MEANT to be cartoon comedy . . .
Custer
Sand
Carlin
Gershwin
__ Bernard Shaw
Seurat (yeah, I tried to sleep through Art History, too)
Patton – missed him the first few times through the thought process. Epic CRS setting in here.
Curious G