Glow plug harness instructions

RARNDT

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi.
Does anyone know where one can download a free guide or instructions on changing out a glow plug harness for a 2003 Jetta TDI?
Thanks.
You can send reply messages to rarndt@tuvam.com

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
You shouldn't need any instructions. You have two choices, either cut the old harness off and solder in the new harness, or remove the battery, batt tray, and other misc stuff to get at where the harness plugs in. Near the firewall I believe. I cut my old harness off and soldered the new one in. I didn't track it all the way back because as far as I could tell, the damage was in the section over the glow plugs.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Any DIY instructions for replacing a MK4 battery should get you most of the way there. Once the battery is out, you'll also need to remove the battery tray. The wire chase is about a 4" wide black plastic channel that runs below the tray, front to back. I believe the top snaps off/on.

To get to the battery hold down bracket, the cover on the back of driver's side headlight will need to come off. You also need to take off the bottom engine cover if, like me, you plan on dropping things down into the engine compartment.

All of the wires in the chase will be wrapped. Rather than unwrap all the tape, I just unplugged the old harness, cut off the old harness plug inside the chase, and the old harness wire where it left the wrapping, ran the new wire alongside, plugged it in, and put a couple turns of tape in the keep things from bouncing around and chaffing.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I did it this way: installed the new harness on the engine. Then I used standard automotive cable cover for the four wires and routed them over to the plastic channel and used cable ties to secure it along the way. Works just fine and easy to do. There is a DYI somewhere here where he shows how to unwrap the OEM wires to do the install the factory way.

Found it: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87616&highlight=glow+plug+harness+replacement

Last edited:

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Bad idea to solder it too. Never solder on a wire harness. Crimps only.

Why? I've had crimp connectors fail, never had a solder joint fail. Don't bathe it in solder, just enough, then heat shrink. Crimp connectors have always been the lazy way out in my book. Let us know when you have to go back and fix one of those crimp connectors. Enjoy!

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Bad idea to solder it too. Never solder on a wire harness. Crimps only.
Disagree - solder, double heatshrink and call it a day. Did so for the NB's glowplug harness and it has been perfect ever since. Even took the opportunity to bridge all four wires to eliminate the biannual P0380 glowplug code. You can't do that with crimps! :D

I understand that crimps are designed to be more removable and thus repairable, but as long as you know what you're doing with the soldering iron (i.e., have more than 3 braincells to rub together) it's just as easy to undo. And you retain the entire length of wire you started with.

My experience has been that in my cars with my wiring, tools & skills, solder joints are superior and last far longer, in fact have never had to redo (or undo) one.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Why? I've had crimp connectors fail, never had a solder joint fail. Don't bathe it in solder, just enough, then heat shrink. Crimp connectors have always been the lazy way out in my book. Let us know when you have to go back and fix one of those crimp connectors. Enjoy!
Do you realize that all factory connections are crimps? You will not find ANY solder on the factory wiring anywhere. That's for a reason, solder can wick up in the wire and vibration can cause it to break off INSIDE the insulation. I have seen this first hand several times. VW states NEVER to use solder on anywhere on the harness for this very reason.

If your crimps are failing, then you are not crimping them correctly. A properly done heat shrink butt crimp is just as strong, if not stronger than a solder joint and is the OEM way to do it.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Do you realize that all factory connections are crimps? You will not find ANY solder on the factory wiring anywhere. That's for a reason, solder can wick up in the wire and vibration can cause it to break off INSIDE the insulation. I have seen this first hand several times. VW states NEVER to use solder on anywhere on the harness for this very reason.

If your crimps are failing, then you are not crimping them correctly. A properly done heat shrink butt crimp is just as strong, if not stronger than a solder joint and is the OEM way to do it.
If solder is wicking up the wire, you are using too much solder. If you read and understood my post, you'd see that I stated not to use too much solder. I understand what you're saying about what VW does and why, but I still disagree. A propery soldered connection is reliable. Wouldn't high-end stereo shops start using crimp connectors exclusively if they were so great?

This isn't going anywhere.:rolleyes:

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
I would agree not to cut and solder. Much easier to use the four wire harness from on of the parts suppliers that has the connector on the end. The connector just plugs in to the other connectore in the wire loom. Minimal effort to install.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Brother and I actually did the cut method. He first attempted to trace the wires back but couldn't find the end and gave up. Is the attached link-will it work on a PD as well?

As far as solder. I have heard of the connections being more brittle. And have heard the crimps have issues as well (also a little more resistance). Personally if you can afford the cost there is some good crimps that use both the crimp action and while you are shrinking the shrink wrap part there is some solder in the middle that also melts (if done right). So you have a soldered, heat shrunk, crimped connection that offers the best of all the methods I think. About $1 a peice from fastenal and other places online. Not many carry them.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
In my 2002 the harness just plugs right in more or less under the airbox so you don't need to soldier anything and I am pretty sure the 2003 would be the same

I ordered the harness & 4 plugs from IDI , changed everything at the same time put Stabilant contact enhancer on ALL electrical connections and it fixed all GP faults OR if you really like to work on cars you can play around changing one thing at a time but I figure if one GP is bad the others can't be far behind

don't chase the wire back by unwrapping the harness because that kind of thing can cause more problems than you fix, so when you figure out which plug is the GP harness and you got things working just cut the old plug off leaving the harness as is and use a piece of cable cover from the auto parts store to cover the new harness

rshelor

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Sportwagen (PD)
Why not just replace the whole harness?
Replacing the harness is not difficault.
You sound rich or else confused! Are you saying buy the whole wiring harness or a glow plug harness? The glow plug harness includes the glow plug connectors and four wires, but it does not include the connector to the relay. Everyone's talking about soldering to the connector. Perhaps you're confused, but a wiring harness would cost a lot of money. :)

rshelor

Veteran Member
TDI

A properly soldered wire isn't anymore brittle than is a crimped wire. I think VW, or any other automaker, doesn't solder because the economy of scale precludes the time and expense. Cheaper to have the supplier crimp and the assemblers plug than to strip, tin, solder, and wrap. I have never seen a wire break under insulation because of soldering. However, I've had lots of problems with crimped connectors oxidizing, breaking, etc. :eek:

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
You sound rich or else confused! Are you saying buy the whole wiring harness or a glow plug harness? The glow plug harness includes the glow plug connectors and four wires, but it does not include the connector to the relay. Everyone's talking about soldering to the connector. Perhaps you're confused, but a wiring harness would cost a lot of money. :)
Not sure what glowplug harness you are buying but the ones I have replaced (4 wire) plug right into a connector near the drivers side lower front windshield. If your are doing an ALH there is zero reason to crimp or solder anything, just run the whole harness under the battery holder where it routes up to the connector. You just remove the air filter box and battery w/cover. Then wrap the new harness with one of those coiled plastic wraps. I got a set of 4 Bosch ALH glow plugs and a new harness from idparts for $109.

rshelor

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure what glowplug harness you are buying but the ones I have replaced (4 wire) plug right into a connector near the drivers side lower front windshield. If your are doing an ALH there is zero reason to crimp or solder anything, just run the whole harness under the battery holder where it routes up to the connector. You just remove the air filter box and battery w/cover. Then wrap the new harness with one of those coiled plastic wraps. I got a set of 4 Bosch ALH glow plugs and a new harness from idparts for $109.
Hmm, well I wish I had what ever model you had that has the connector included, it evidently wasn't a BEW. I called to check if I got the right harness (I did; four bare wires) after reading your post and idparts says to cut and solder close to the harness because the connector is buried deep inside nowheresville..... I'll let you all know if and when the soldering causes the wires to break inside the insulation.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The ALH GP harness does come with the proper plug, but the later BEW harnesses do not have this feature. If I ever have to change the harness on my Golf I hope to be able to source the proper wire terminals so I can swap them into the harness after removing the original wires with the proper release tool which I have.

need4speed

Veteran Member
I think that the "do not solder because it will fracture" stuff sounds like voodoo nonsense. But I can't argue, because I did that, and my glow plugs are still blowing out on me. IMO - I'm pretty sure it's the damn connector-to-plug connection. You pull it loose, and look inside, and you can see the carbon from the sparking. The dialectric grease has mitigated the problem a bit.

One day, when re-doing this fix comes up higher on my priority-list than say, the fritzed airbag controller, or any one of the other dozen things on this basket-case of a car, I'll probably order a new harness and pull the engine (or remove the fender) so I can locate the magical hidden connector, and plug the harness in "the right way" without evil solder joints.

What I really rather wish I could do, was find an adaptation number in VAG-COM that says: "ignore Glow Plug Faults"; then dial-in some aluminum plugs in the glow-plug ports, and be done with this nonsense. I don't need them where I live, because I never need to start below freezing in California.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Why do you guys think we have so much problems with our door switches? Broken solder joints....on a PCB where they belong. You seriously think the same won't happen on a wire?

rshelor

Veteran Member
TDI
Why do you guys think we have so much problems with our door switches? Broken solder joints....on a PCB where they belong. You seriously think the same won't happen on a wire?
You are correct in that it is considered poor practice to splice a wire rather than maintain point to point continuity, but I find it rather ironic to heap any praise solder on PCBs. As an electronic technician in a former life, I can't tell you the number of cold, broken, etc. breaks on PC boards. Dirty switches and bad solder joints were what paid the bills.
I think you can solder up the wires and sleep easy. Germans have always been know for their lousy connectors and switches, and its my opinion that if you can bypass any of the them w/a well soldered joint you are ahead of the game. But I understand your opinion.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Disagree - solder, double heatshrink and call it a day. Did so for the NB's glowplug harness and it has been perfect ever since. Even took the opportunity to bridge all four wires to eliminate the biannual P0380 glowplug code. You can't do that with crimps! :D

I understand that crimps are designed to be more removable and thus repairable, but as long as you know what you're doing with the soldering iron (i.e., have more than 3 braincells to rub together) it's just as easy to undo. And you retain the entire length of wire you started with.

My experience has been that in my cars with my wiring, tools & skills, solder joints are superior and last far longer, in fact have never had to redo (or undo) one.

in my experience

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331992&highlight=MAF

crimp connectors carry more risk

rshelor

Veteran Member
TDI
In all fairness, there are some high current applications where soldering a wire is required.
I agree, if things overload then the solder melts and an arcing danger occurs. Can't say that I know, but solder has a slightly higher resistance than copper does which, I suppose, could localize a hot spot. I was thinking the glow plugs would be a high current device, but evidently not when looking at their wire size.