Hit & Run: Perpetrater Leaves Calling Card

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
My son is having a rough week. He lost his job on Monday and last night he discovered that some scumbag rear-ended, and most likely totaled, his '03 Honda Civic while it was parked at his apartment complex. No note was left either. Damage like this in a parking lot? Simply amazing and reckless. The force pushed his Honda up a small hill. From the picture he sent, it sure looks totaled:

While in inspecting the damage, he found the following item next to his car and it is not his!:):

The above pictured item was turned over to the police when they came to make a report.

This is all I know about this now, but I will report more as this story unfolds. Maybe justice will be served.

--Nate

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If you can, go to the DMV and trace the plates in case the cops forget about it.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The police estimate the car that hit my son's was traveling about 50 MPH!

The police visited the owner of the vehicle the license plate came from. The car is a 1999 Honda CRV. The owner gave the car to her 26 year old daughter (Margaret), who according to the police, is no stranger to the Fairfax County Court system. Margaret lives elsewhere, and the mother is not exactly sure (at least she told the police that). Before Margaret is arrested, the police said they need to see the car to verify the damage is in line with colliding with my son's car, and Margaret has to be located.

I logged onto the fairfax County General Disctrict Court case information web site and discovered that Margaret, since 2008, has three 25 MPH-over-the-speed-limit infractions, failure to obey a highway sign, and felony charges for forging perscriptions. She also has a hearing scheduled in early January for one of these cases, so I assume she will turn up.

Also, in Prince William County in October this year Margaret was arrested for a Class 5 fellony (heroin posession, use and distribution) and the hearing date is Feb 14th (Google revealed that one). Although denied bail in October, she is now out on bail, per a subsequent hearing. This whole hassle could have been avoided if she stayed in jail!

The good news is that woman who owns the the 1999 Honda (Margaret's mother) is insured through USAA. This is the same company my son has insurance through, so at least he will get something for his loss.

Here is a daylight picture of the damage my son's car sustained:

--Nate

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Sounds like the driver may have been under influence of something when they hit your son's car. At least they have same insurance companies......didn't you just do a bunch of work to this Civic? Show them receipts-might get a little more for your son.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. About a year and a half ago I did the 100,000 mile maintenance on his Honda--timing belt and tensioner and roller, water pump, complete tune up, including valve adjustment, spark plugs, filters and replaced all fluids, including the gear oil and new front brakes. All OEM dealer parts too. New tires and battery too.:(

--Nate

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
This thread just convinced me that all cars should have a mandatory license plate on the front bumper.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Man, a little wax will buff that out! ;) I am glad that front plate was there to be a witness to the crime. Now whether the justice system can put that person away or prohibit them form getting behind the wheel is another matter of course.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Idea !!

With the Technology that they have, airbags, etc. How about this:

As we can see, the license plate became detached, due to the impact. In this case, it was a matter of 'luck' that this happened.:D

The Car makers should build in a device that would DEPOSIT a vehicles Serial #onto the pavement when there is a Collision. Small plates with the Serial#'s would be located at various hidden spots throughout the Vehicle.

In addition, the serial# could be 'embossed' or 'branded' on the inside of various plastic parts that are so widely used in todays vehicles. Bumpers, etc.

eg. A bumper would have this Serial# in, say 10 spots, left to right, and up and down.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
.............The owner gave the car to her 26 year old daughter (Margaret), who according to the police, is no stranger to the Fairfax County Court system. Margaret lives elsewhere, and the mother is not exactly sure (at least she told the police that).
Where's the BS flag? Mom knows where she is & already likely knew all about the incident - I can hear the whining about "needing another car".

........The good news is that woman who owns the the 1999 Honda (Margaret's mother) is insured through USAA. This is the same company my son has insurance through, so at least he will get something for his loss.
Good, glad to hear he'll be taken care of (to an extent). Hope USAA drops her arse wiping enabling mother..............or at least jacks her rates through the roof. :)

Three 25+ in three years? Given 20 over is reckless I would doubt she even has a license.

Jail wouldn't/won't do a thing for Margaret - only solution for her is to clean out her ears with a lead q-tip :D

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Great idea Dieselfitter, but I'd be willing to bet that kind of attention to datail could add another $1500 to $2000 to the sticker price.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yea, I can't believe my son's luck on the license plate. Its the only part of the other car that was at the scene.

My son says that according to the USAA agent he spoke to, the mother made a claim for damages to her car (or reported damage), stating both cars were in motion or being driven at the time of the accident. I am not sure if it was against her policy or my son's. I think hers, but there is still no car to inspect on her side! This is a really bizzarre story! The claim representative told my son if the other party's car is never found, that my son's insurance will cover damage to his car (not sure if his rates would go up) and he would have to attempt to collect any deficiency from the other party in court. I have already told my son I will file his motions (I know my way around the court due to pro se domestic relations (divorce) filings) if it comes to this.

My take is that given Margaret's severe legal infractions, she and her mother will deny, deny, deny at all costs because if Margaret admits to a Class 5 felony hit & run while on bail for a heroin use and distribution charge, she will be put away for a long, long time.

My concern is that the mother may call a salvage yard to come get and scrap her car to destroy the evidence.

I still think the police should question Margarett when she shows up for her drug conviction hearing in February.

Hopefully this will get settled and the car found. Its pretty obvious if the car can't be found, somebody has something to hide. I just wish the law and insurance company could see it this way.

--Nate

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yea, I can't believe my son's luck on the license plate. Its the only part of the other car that was at the scene.

My son says that according to the USAA agent he spoke to, the mother made a claim for damages to her car (or reported damage), stating both cars were in motion or being driven at the time of the accident. I am not sure if it was against her policy or my son's. I think hers, but there is still no car to inspect on her side! This is a really bizzarre story! The claim representative told my son if the other party's car is never found, that my son's insurance will cover damage to his car (not sure if his rates would go up) and he would have to attempt to collect any deficiency from the other party in court. I have already told my son I will file his motions (I know my way around the court due to pro se domestic relations (divorce) filings) if it comes to this.

My take is that given Margaret's severe legal infractions, she and her mother will deny, deny, deny at all costs because if Margaret admits to a Class 5 felony hit & run while on bail for a heroin use and distribution change, she will be put away for a long, long time.

My concern is that the mother may call a salvage yard to come get and scrap her car to destroy the evidence.

I still think the police should question Margarett when she shows up for her drug conviction hearing in February.

Hopefully this will get settled and the car found. Its pretty obvious if the car can't be found, somebody has something to hide. I just wish the law and insurance company could see it this way.

--Nate
Pester the police to stay involved. If the Mom takes action to cover up a felony, that exposes her to prosecution. She already is involved enough to make an insurance claim. And she no doubt has a way to contact/locate the driver. The police should give Mom a call...

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I think you have enough evidence to win any deductible not covered in small claims court.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
The police visited the owner of the vehicle the license plate came from. The car is a 1999 Honda CRV. The owner gave the car to her 26 year old daughter (Margaret)

The good news is that woman who owns the the 1999 Honda (Margaret's mother) is insured through USAA.
I am actually kinda shocked that the woman continued to insure a car that is out there being operated by the loser daughter. That puts mom at a huge risk and I would have thought mom would drop the insurance when she gave the car to the daughter, and also made a clean break by signing title over to the daughter so ownership is not with mom.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I am subscribing, but concerned that the right thing may not be what happens in this case.
I am willing to wager that nothing will happen in favor of the wronged party.

Mom (owner of the car) has said enough about who she loaned the car to and will clam up when asked anything else. Daughter (presumed driver of the car) will use her 5th Amendment right to not say jack. No one can put her driving the car when it was used to smash into the parked car. All the parties to the screw-up in this can say nothing and walk away relatively clean, and that is what will happen.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Except for the fact that her car was involved in this accident. The mother is committing insurance fraud. That is a felony. Her plate was at the scene and a simple paint test can show that paint was probably transferred from her car to yours. If you go to court you have a great chance. There are 2 felonies being committed here, hit and run and insurance fraud. The claim that she filed is evidence that she is admitting the car was in an accident. If this is taken to court, which I believe it should, you stand to gain here. If you play your cards right felony convictions can be placed on these clowns.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Except for the fact that her car was involved in this accident. The mother is committing insurance fraud. That is a felony. Her plate was at the scene and a simple paint test can show that paint was probably transferred from her car to yours.
I don't think that mom is denying the car was in an accident - she is just not able or willing to say who was driving. That's not fraud.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Hiding the car from police to avoid hit-and-run charges, and then submitting an insurance claim for auto damage... Does not sound too good.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
What the mother and daughter need is a police "interview". They have already said enough to incriminate themselves. I mean come on, the mother made a claim, suggesting that she already saw her daughter and the damage to her car, so telling police she could not be found is bs.

If the mother made an insurance claim, then she either needs to provide to the insurance company the identity of the driver that was involved in the accident, or she needs to claim that the car was stolen. The later would be insurance fraud.

The mother's story has SO much potential for inconsistency it's amazing.

PDJetta keep us posted!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will keep you all posted. I am telling all of this through my son, so details may not be spot on.

I called him again yesterday to get clarification on the mother contacting USAA and my son indicated the mother simply reported that her car was involved in an accident, probably to cover herself, since my son is filing a claim and reported all the details and the information from the police concerning who's license plate was found next to his bashed in car. I believe its up to USAA to determine who's policy will cover damages.

My son will get the insured value, possibly less a deductable, possibly not, if its on his policy and his rates may not go up. I'm not that concerned about a $500 or so loss. I can give him the money.

What really irks me is the possibility that some low-life can get away with this and still drive and possibly do worse to someone else next time. They positively would have gotten off if their license plate did not fall off at the scene. It just is not fair, but I guess we see this all the time in the court system. If both the mother and daughter deny and hide the car, there is no way to prosecute them. Its hard to conceive that their is scum like this that can get off scott free. Now I see why people like to take the law into their own hands when crap like this happens and the legal system lets us down. A great example of the failed legal system is the OJ Simpson case. Remember that one? I can still hear Johnney Cochran saying, "If the glove does not fit, you must aquit".

--Nate

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, you'll lose somehow in the end, because the offending party (a drug addicted waste of flesh) will somehow continue to live. Shame she could not have died in the car at the scene. :mad:

I had a dealing like this once with some asshat that hit me and ran while I was driving a customer's Jetta :eek:. I chased him while on the phone with 911, got the number, and when he began driving 80+ the wrong way down a 35 MPH 4 lane I told them I was done.

Cops went to the house, found the damaged truck, but neither the owner of said truck or the owner's son (who was most likely driving) admitted anything. Since I could not ID the d-bag's face, there was nothing the police would do. Screwed up system. :rolleyes:

This world is full of crazy idiots, that should be Darwined out of existence. Sadly, we have to share the planet with them.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is some story, Oilhammer. Wow!

I think most of us in life at some point have a run-in with scum like this. I've had three uninsureds hit my cars. One fled and was never found.

Take a look at the police chase videos that are on TV. There is no shortage of this insanity.

--Nate

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well at least your son's car would be fit for the 24 hours of Lemons :rolleyes:

Hope everything works out. My neighbor's SVX got creamed as it was parked on the street in front of her house. Pushed the bumper almost up to the back seat. I don't think they found out who did it.

-J

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am willing to wager that nothing will happen in favor of the wronged party.

Mom (owner of the car) has said enough about who she loaned the car to and will clam up when asked anything else. Daughter (presumed driver of the car) will use her 5th Amendment right to not say jack. No one can put her driving the car when it was used to smash into the parked car. All the parties to the screw-up in this can say nothing and walk away relatively clean, and that is what will happen.
I too think this is absolutely what will happen. But for some satisfaction, I have asked my son to make sure the insurance company knows about all the past convictions the daughter has (i.e. send in printouts of her court convictions that appear on the County court web site)) and although there is no proof the daughter was/is driving the car, perhaps USAA will wise up and drop mom and daughter. Mom may have told USAA that daughter has the car. For additional satisfaction my son may sue for any perceived defeciency and add a little barganing room. The more hassle for the other party, the better, for acting like this. Maybe they will have to pay for a attorney.

--Nate

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Hiding the car from police to avoid hit-and-run charges, and then submitting an insurance claim for auto damage... Does not sound too good.
I don't know whether she is hiding the car from police, the story is getting a bit hard for me to follow as the OP has said it is coming 2nd hand from his son.

Submitting an insurance claim isn't fraud unless she says something specifically known to be not true. Mom can file a claim for damages without having to state who the driver of the vehicle was and that's up to the insurance company to pay. I am getting the feeling she already told someone (maybe insurance adjuster) that the daughter was driving, so that might be a rope to hang them.