www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 5th, 2011, 13:51   #1
its_go_time

TDI(s): 05 jetta
Default Coolant heater

Getting ready to install a Zerostart 8000 on my '05 PD jetta. Question: why does the check valve need to be removed from the heater?
Thank you in anticipation.
its_go_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 14:51   #2
maxwellp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.25

The check valve works to make sure the coolant flows in one direction when it is heating. Where we place the heaters on these cars coolant flows in the opposite direction when the engine is running...So it can't have a check valve.

http://www.frostheater.com/frostheater.htm

Last edited by maxwellp; December 5th, 2011 at 14:56.
maxwellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 17:56   #3
its_go_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellp View Post
The check valve works to make sure the coolant flows in one direction when it is heating. Where we place the heaters on these cars coolant flows in the opposite direction when the engine is running...So it can't have a check valve.

That's what I've been reading. But, what I don't understand is why the two hoses can't just be reversed so the heater is moving the coolant in the same direction as it naturally moves...Is that a dumb question? Where do the two hoses going into the oil cooler go? If I reversed the hoses, would it try and move the coolant against the thermostat instead of into the engine?? I don't get it...
Old December 6th, 2011, 14:18   #4
its_go_time

I found a coolant flow diagram for the ALH motor. I hope it's similar if not identical to the BEW?? In it, it appears that the oil cooler is part of the bypass circuit for when the thermostat is closed. It seems to me that you could connect a heater in either direction, and the engine is still gonna get warmed. So...why don't ppl just leave the check valve in place, and hook the heater up so its moving coolant in the same direction as the pump. It seems to me that it would be more efficient with the one way valve in place?

Old December 6th, 2011, 16:31   #5
david_594
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.7/48.2/40.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_go_time View Post
That's what I've been reading. But, what I don't understand is why the two hoses can't just be reversed so the heater is moving the coolant in the same direction as it naturally moves...Is that a dumb question? Where do the two hoses going into the oil cooler go? If I reversed the hoses, would it try and move the coolant against the thermostat instead of into the engine?? I don't get it...
The issue is the coolant moves via convection since there is no pump in the zerostart. So if you reverse the two hoses the heated coolant will still be trying to move in the same direction.
Old December 7th, 2011, 14:56   #6
its_go_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_594 View Post
The issue is the coolant moves via convection since there is no pump in the zerostart. So if you reverse the two hoses the heated coolant will still be trying to move in the same direction.

If I reverse the two hoses, the coolant will be convecting in the opposite direction, no? Doesn't matter, I guess. This is where everyone puts them. They put them in opposite normal flow, and remove the check ball. It seems to work for ppl, so that's what I will do. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
Does anyone know what the height difference is between the water pump and the side of the head where the coolant comes out. Zerostart requires the coolant to be pulled into it from a low area on the block and the heated fluid put back up high. That might explain why we need to mount it backwards?
Old December 7th, 2011, 17:22   #7
maxwellp
Veteran Member

The heated coolant will always go up, opposite normal flow. So running it goes one way. Plugged in it goes the other. that's why you remove the check valve.
Old December 7th, 2011, 17:40   #8
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

Does the frost heater have a checkball which requires removal before installation? Thinking of getting one.
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 17:53   #9
maxwellp
Veteran Member

I would check with frostheater but my guess is that if you buy their kit you would just put it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorge View Post
Does the frost heater have a checkball which requires removal before installation? Thinking of getting one.
Old December 7th, 2011, 18:58   #10
its_go_time

OK, so I removed the check valve in preparation for installation this w/e. Its at the bottom, on the inlet fitting. Comes out really easy. I just screwed a 5/16-18 machine screw into the black plastic body and pulled it out by hand. 10secs, max.

Old December 10th, 2011, 13:02   #11
its_go_time

I've noticed that most ppl mount these heaters under the battery. The 1500W unit is quite large, so mounting it here seems like quite a tight fit. The power steering line uses up a lot of room in this area. Has anyone mounted their heater inside the front fascia, ahead of the left wheel? There's a crapload of room here. What would be the downsides of placing the heater here??
Old December 10th, 2011, 13:36   #12
david_594
Veteran Member

There shouldn't be any real issue mounting it there. Thats where the webasto gets mounted. My only concern would be making sure its not making contact with anything that could melt(like the fender liner).

Typically people use a different style zerostart heater that mounts much more easily below the battery.
Old December 10th, 2011, 14:47   #13
WAKeele
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough to never go back to gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellp View Post
I would check with frostheater but my guess is that if you buy their kit you would just put it on.

With my FrostHeater, my instructions said to just remove the old lines and in with theirs. But that's for a MKIV ALH.
2002 Jetta TDI--286,XXX miles--manual (Sachs G60/VR6 clutch & flywheel)--Dieselgeek Panzer Skidplate, Ventectomy, FrostHeater, Bilstein TC Sport struts, Bosio Sprint 520 injector nozzles, Unitronic Stage 1+ Performance Software
WAKeele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 19:43   #14
its_go_time

I put the car on stands and pulled out the wheel liner. I like this spot the best. Its the lowest you can go while still being enclosed, and there's a ton of room here. The only hitch is having to run the intake line through the plastic engine cover. The output from the heater would be no prob as it would just loop over the frame rail back to the engine. I'll have to make a bracket of sorts to keep it from floppin around as well.

Old December 10th, 2011, 21:26   #15
david_594
Veteran Member

Find the mk4 webasto install instructions. They will give you some ideas on how best to mount it in that area along with ideas for routing the coolant lines.