www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 27th, 2011, 20:15   #1
mcfadyen72

Default door chime disable, how?

i JUST bought a 2000 golf tdi and it was fine driving it home, the next day the door chime starts going off??!! i actually found the link on how to pull off the door panel, but then i stopped when it got to the big steel plate for the window assembly, i chickened out.
anyway i have been searching everywhere on the web on how to fix the door sensor and everything else but after all that i still have questions.
1. where is the door latch sensor? i don't see anything
2. whats the cost of just buying a new door lock sensor and having vw install it?
3. where is this relay? i don't see any relays in the fuse box that is on the drivers side dash board.
4. why did my door locks stop working intermittently after i reassembled the door panel? i pulled the fuse and put it back in and it then works fine, for a bit.
AAAAARGH!!
mcfadyen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 20:20   #2
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

Good chance you have an intermittent door position switch.
Good chance it's the drivers door (because that typically gets most wear).

This thread will probably be of interest.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ght=switch+fix

Responding to #2- Good chance the dealer may refuse to install parts you purchased elsewhere. Also good chance the dealer cost could be relatively huge, and may take you more than one trip (more than one charge) to get it remedied.
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 20:36   #3
mcfadyen72

im thinking i just want to find the relay and pull it out, so i need to know where it is.
OR
whats the cost to have the dealer install a new vw part?
OR how can i just disable the power locks and run them manualy, with a long lock pull?
plus, that thread is pretty vague and has no pics, im not sure i want to go through with that honestly. sorry, just frustrated with my new pre-owned vw already
Old November 27th, 2011, 21:11   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

Gees! Do these things have a door chime? If so, mine hasn't worked from day one! Have I been blessed all these years?
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 21:18   #5
mcfadyen72

yes you have.
Old November 27th, 2011, 21:26   #6
Alchemist
Veteran Member

I can't give you a price for VW to install a new door latch assembly, but parts alone will be >$200. VW does not have the sensor, actually a switch, available separately so you must replace the entire door latch. On the MKIII cars, there was a relay on the panel below the dash, but on MKIV, it is built into the instrument cluster. There is another electrical panel, located under the dash on the firewall just in front of the clutch pedal. This is where the relays are located, but nothing that will let you silence the annoying ding. The cure is replace the latch or the switch on the latch.

Paul
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 21:32   #7
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

My old '87 Quantum had a chime that drove me nuts!.........damn thing worked good to the day I sent it to the junk yard!
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote