www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:22   #1
XLexusTech

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40 on Jetta... JSW..TBD
Default EXTENDED Waranty for HPFP 2012

I have a 2012 never thought i would consider an extended Warranty but I am considering it. Can I do that with 5K miles on my car? Bought it about 2 months ago,
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:28   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

I believe you can do it with up to 10k miles, but check with your dealer to be sure. Also read all the fine print and make sure that it actually covers the HPFP. Also, remember that it is not really an extended warranty - it is an insurance policy and it is usually a money maker for VW and your dealer. Do a search here for "extended warranty" and you will find lots of discussions about the pros and cons.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:47   #3
ss~zoso~ss
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what others have done or their views on it, but it is deff a money maker for them.

Basically you're betting them (VW) that their product will break, and you're putting down 2 grand or so on that bet. Either way your loose.

But yes, there are obviously many pros as well (piece of mind)
Old November 25th, 2011, 20:13   #4
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

A. It is a service contract, not a warranty (an important legal difference in some states, I am told).
B. Make sure it actually covers what you want it to.
C. You can buy it at any time as long as you are still under the factory warranty.
D. See member 3193, who is a salesman and gives a discount to forum members.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=203380

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 20:36   #5
jbright
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.7 mpg average, 95% suburban

I just received a letter from my dealership offering to sell me "an extended service contract" as my original factory warranty is nearing expiration. They say "As vehicle repairs become more complex, the likelihood of unforeseen and costly repairs increases with the age of the vehicle." Ain't that the truth.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:14   #6
BrShootr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKVI JSW

You can have an extended service contract OR an extended warranty. One is for services like oil changes and others to be performed by the dealer, the other covers malfunctions with whatever systems covered. You can buy them at any time, even after the original warranty has expired, but the price goes up considerably at that point.

2013 Candy White JSW 6MT. Tinted windows, Classix 17" wheels. More mods to come....
BrShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:12   #7
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Don't bother. Huge waste of money. The chances of you having this problem are extremely small. And if you do have this problem, then you will see by reading the threads that VW is more willing to fix this problem no-questions-asked now than they were a year or so ago. Why pay big money for an extended warranty when VW would fix the problem themselves without the warranty?

Now take the money we just saved you and go buy yourself that big flat-screen TV you've been wanting.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:48   #8
Stallhorn

I ended up getting Geico MBI at a cheaper price for a longer period of time - 7 years/100k miles. Worth checking into.
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:53   #9
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

May I ask what you paid for the Geico MBI coverage? And what does MBI stand for?
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:13   #10
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

MBI is geicos mechanical breakdown insurance and it's usually less than 10 bucks a month , covers up to 7 years 100k ! I have this as well and it covers everything !
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:48   #11
Dariof
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: Whatever the Highest Number Was. That's It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallhorn View Post
I ended up getting Geico MBI at a cheaper price for a longer period of time - 7 years/100k miles. Worth checking into.
I did the same. Cost me around 60 dollars every 6 months. Less expensive than buying a dealer's warranty policy, but you have to have a Geico auto insurance policy insurance as well.

You also have to buy it within the first 15,000 miles on the odometer...so some may not qualify. As it turned out, the Geico auto insurance was less expensive than most others anyway, so it was a good deal.
2008 Mercedes GL 320 CDI (Diesel)

Last edited by Dariof; November 29th, 2011 at 06:52.
Dariof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:28   #12
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
The chances of you having this problem are extremely small.
I find this questionable since more than one person here has reported multiple failures—Dweisel, for instance.

I am not a statistician, but I assume that when such a small pool of respondents includes multiple examples of people with multiple failures, the failure rate can be considered higher than "extremely small".

There is also the issue of the high price tag of a fuel system replacement.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:31   #13
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
Basically you're betting them (VW) that their product will break, and you're putting down 2 grand or so on that bet.
Isn't VW betting also that the product will break by only giving it a rather short warranty period?

If VW feels the fuel system is so secure, why not provide something like a 200,000 mile warranty on it? Even 100,000 miles suggests more faith than the current warranty period.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:54   #14
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

IMO if vw feels this pump is a wear part they should give a interval for of replacement of the pump and if it does blow before that time period they should be liable for all the collateral damage it causes to the fuel system .... It's a piss poor design for any one part to cause this kind of expensive repair !
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:11   #15
BrShootr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKVI JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford_guy View Post
Isn't VW betting also that the product will break by only giving it a rather short warranty period?

If VW feels the fuel system is so secure, why not provide something like a 200,000 mile warranty on it? Even 100,000 miles suggests more faith than the current warranty period.
The issue is, do you think it is so likely to fail that you'll be one of the few ones which had that issue?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put an aftermarket HPFP if that's all you're concerned about?

2013 Candy White JSW 6MT. Tinted windows, Classix 17" wheels. More mods to come....
BrShootr is offline   Reply With Quote