N47 diesel bmw 2002

ThomasJorgensen

TDI
1.6 tdi VW touran, 520d touring
Hello everyone, engine swap noob here

I'm in love with the n47 diesel engine + tranny combo in newer european bmws, and Ive got my heart set on stuffing one in an old 2002.

Mechanically I realize there is going to be a lot of custom fabrication involved, but that should not be a problem. What I would like some insight on is how hard it would be to get the ECU to function properly. Ideally I would like to keep the 2002 as original as possible, i.e. only swap the necessary systems for the engine to run. How hard is to hack a bmw ECU to "remove" unnecessary systems and sensors? As you can probably tell I know very little about ECUs.

The build would take place in portugal, which i know has some pretty talented "chiptuners", most of their jobs seem to be modern diesel bmws, they might be the right people for the job?

Thanks Guys I appreciate any enlightenment I can get, have been trying to do some research but haven't really been able to dig anything up.

maybe a VAG 2.0 tdi would be simpler ECU wise?

Last edited:

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
BMW 2002 diesel

I am also interested in converting a BMW 2002 to diesel. The N47 is a great motor and I would love to use it, especially to keep the manufacturer consistent. However, in the USA it is very difficult to get these motors and there is no support network. The VW community has a long history of proven knowledge regarding diesel, and also with VAG one can diagnose and adjust codes and ecu settings. For these reasons I have decided to put a ALH into a BMW 2002 (also because my daily driver is a 2000 Golf TDI with ALH and I love it!!).

I am currently in the "aquiring the necessary parts" phase of my project. I bought a 2001 jetta donor and have so far pulled the motor and am carefully going through the wiring harness. It's very intimidating, especially for me as I do not have a lot of electronic experience. Also, I have been reading, actually studying as many of these swap threads as I can find.

Here is my plan:
-1.9 ALH TDI
-Acme adapter plate
-Toyota W58 transmission with 22r bellhousing
-will try to keep VW AC
-final diff either 2.93 or 2.79 from e30 or e28 BMW's. 2002haus.com is currently in process of making a very nice plug and play rear subframe swap which will allow you to run a tall rear diff. Gearing will be very close to stock TDI!
-custom driveshaft mating toyota and BMW sections.
-motor mounts will try to use VW AHU mounts with custom brackets.
-no cruise control, no EGR, no immobilizer.
-probably not use power steering pump, however, maybe I can use pump to power assist brakes?? anyone know about this? The brake booster in the 2002 is LARGE and right where the ALH oil filter housing will be, I think...

Ahhh, I don't want to steal your thread....Please keep us updated if you are able to tune the N47. It's not too late for me to scrap my VW plans and jump ship back to BMW
!

gary 32

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
keep it strong and simple

I have a 13b Mazda rotary in mine.
I would skip the power brakes and steering.
You may need a cage to help handle chassis flex.
The biggest obstacle in my transplant was the 2002 steering box.

The weakest link in my drive train is the rear end I use a 3.64 LS from a 320i, both the ring and pinion loose chunks of metal below the teeth.

gary 32

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
thanks coutts

I spoke with Rob and some time next year he should have an e36 diff/e30 trailing arm, axles, brakes, etc. bolt in adjustable 2002 sub frame to solve my issues.

There are smaller diameter 2002 brake boosters.

Thanks again.

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Funny how the internet lumps us up. I was searching N47 swaps, looking for bellhousings and tuners. I found this thread. I'm a syncro van and bmw 2002 nut. I have two vans and one 1973 2002. I wasn't interested in the Diesel in the 02. But truly why not? I think the N47 would be perfect for the Syncro van. Please keep the thread alive. A good tuner is needed. There is some info out there on fitting a 320i manual steering rack into a 2002, and the TII brake booster is a bit smaller. If that helps. The TDICLUB is full of ingenuity, Thanks

irshmerc

TDI
3.0ltr D
Hi lads,
Reviving this very old tread, anybody out there have any experience with the N47 diesel engine and a 2002, any information fitting the diesel into a right hand drive 2002.
Any help much appreciated.
Good luck

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
I personally would not fit that engine into any vehicle. They have timing chain, oil pump and crankshaft issues. At work there sit's one of these engines that I am just fitting a new crankshaft to. The reason ? it spun a main bearing on the crankshaft main bearing journel and connecting rod. The original plan was to fit a second hand engine, which was sourced from the UK. As a precaution the sump was removed, engine had new timing chains on it, good start we thought, until we pulled the main bearing journal nearest the timing chain, you guessed it, it had spun. It was so bad that it had worn ridges into the block journal. So for me I would steer clear of that particular engine unless you have deep pockets.