www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 20:26   #1
AlmondFarmer

TDI(s): 99 NB
Thumbs up Real World MPG with DSG

I am about to buy a Passat and am trying to decide between a manual and auto. I was dead set on getting the manual having had mostly manuals in the past. I recently drove the DSG and was VERY impressed. Am I making a huge mistake by going with Automatic? What is the "ACTUAL" mpg with the DSG?
AlmondFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 20:30   #2
osesu96
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.2 / 45.8 / 43.2

The best I've done with my wife's 2006 Jetta with DSG is 48mpg, 99.99% highway. Around town, I'm getting upper 30's.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:15   #3
gergg
Veteran Member

I'd get the 6M, had a dsg Golf and it was fine, but I think the 6M will give you better mpg's and lower overall cost.
gergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:37   #4
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

Numbers from real world driving show at least a 20-30 % impact on fuel economy with the DSG, more on city and mixed loops. Also the extra maintenance costs involved in owning a DSG car are significantly more over the life of a car than a manual trans version. I have laid out in other posts in other strings the difference in cost over the life of a car, it goes into the thousands in extra costs over the life of your ownership...........which to me defeats the purpose of going to trouble of buying a diesel in the first place.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:21   #5
04Wagon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58.62/46.8/38.9 Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
Numbers from real world driving show at least a 20-30 % impact on fuel economy with the DSG, more on city and mixed loops. Also the extra maintenance costs involved in owning a DSG car are significantly more over the life of a car than a manual trans version. I have laid out in other posts in other strings the difference in cost over the life of a car, it goes into the thousands in extra costs over the life of your ownership...........which to me defeats the purpose of going to trouble of buying a diesel in the first place.
Just thinking, would there actually be that much of a spread for the everyday driver (like me)? This is what I would personally consider, I would knock 10% off of the manual millage as most owners driving the Passat in Manual would have done so to max out the MPG (hypermilers if I may) which I would not do. Next if the car will ever be “tuned” I would think at least 1 maybe 2 clutches in the lifetime of the car ($2500.00 or so?) so there goes much of the savings of the manual over the DSG.
Personally I would be buying the car as it gets great mileage the way I normally drive and is also fun to drive; I would drive at the same rate of speed etc. no matter what car I buy.

Somewhere I read DGS millage as high 4X US so for the most part if you are not hypermiling that would be within a few % of the manual models I think.

I don’t see a thread comparing mileage yet between the stick and DSG, but that would shed some light on the subject.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 13:40   #6
skinnyb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Slightly north of 40 MPG

I have DSG and the mileage is great in my case. I came from a CR Jetta 6m and the mileage is better in my case. I wouldn't let mileage get in the way of deciding which trans to get. If you like DSG get it, I thought I would regret it but I haven't. So far it has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skinnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 14:22   #7
TDICT
Veteran Member

My highway mileage is 46-48 at 70 mph with my 2012 TDI SEL DGS and my tank average has never dropped below 40mpg in the 4,000 miles I have driven the Passat. I don't understand the attraction of the 6 mt over the DGS. The Passat is not a sports car that would benefit from the stick tranny. The DGS is a joy to drive and if you feel macho and want to be in control of your gear you can still do it. I can see where someone can't afford the $1,200 or so cost upcharge (no sure what it really is but I think thats what is was for my 2009 JSW TDI). Big deal you have to change the oil every 40k miles, clutches don't last for ever especially is you do a lot of city driving. Buy what you like but I think the DGS is the way to go.
TDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 14:26   #8
TDICT
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are saying the DGS would burn 30-40% more fuel with a DGS over a 6MT. This is total BS. Not sure where you got these numbers from but they make no sense.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 14:40   #9
gergg
Veteran Member

My guess is the 6M will save approx 10% mpg's which is right in line with the EPA ratings........ I actually enjoy driving the 6M most of the time, I did wish I had a dsg the other day when I was stuck in bumper to bumper highway traffic for 10 miles
Old November 23rd, 2011, 16:40   #10
TDICT
Veteran Member

10% improvement means you are getting over 50 mpg at a constant 70 mph..The EPA has missed the mark on all the VW CR diesels. Driving a manual in a Porsche 911 through the twistes is fun, been there done that, but in day to day traffic....No my idea of sport.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 16:56   #11
gergg
Veteran Member

Quote:
10% improvement means you are getting over 50 mpg at a constant 70 mph..The EPA has missed the mark on all the VW CR diesels. Driving a manual in a Porsche 911 through the twistes is fun, been there done that, but in day to day traffic....No my idea of sport.
Relax, I like the DSG too. I think you will lose the argument that it gets as good of mileage as a 6M, but may win the argument that it is more convenient .......whether it is 3,5,7,10% the 6M will improve mpg's, I was just making a WAG at 10% based on my experience with both transmissions.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 16:57   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

I spent a weekend with a Passat SEL with DSG, and was, like the OP, very impressed. However, I'd go for the manual. It's not a sports car thing, as the Passat certainly isn't a sports car. For me it's more about what I'm comfortable with, and I prefer to shift myself. If you want some points of reference look at Fuelly ratings for '10 and later Golf TDIs, both with DSG and Manual transmissions. You'll see at least a 10% difference in the numbers. I'm not saying the Passat is going to do exactly the same, but it seems likely.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:19   #13
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICT View Post
You are saying the DGS would burn 30-40% more fuel with a DGS over a 6MT. This is total BS. Not sure where you got these numbers from but they make no sense.
On city and mixed that number of 30-40 % is more than easily achievable in a manual over any DSG. Around 30 to the low 30s is not uncommon in a DSG in these circumstances while over similar loop in exactly the same car you can exceed 40 mpgs in a manual version. That is compared to the average DSG driver that just puts the thing in D and goes. On the highway the difference is likely a little less but there is still a difference.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:32   #14
TDICT
Veteran Member

Quote:
On city and mixed that number of 30-40 % is more than easily achievable in a manual over any DSG. Around 30 to the low 30s is not uncommon in a DSG in these circumstances while over similar loop in exactly the same car you can exceed 40 mpgs in a manual version. That is compared to the average DSG driver that just puts the thing in D and goes. On the highway the difference is likely a little less but there is still a difference.
This still makes no sense. There is no more internal loss in a DGS and a manual because they are both basically manual transmissions. Are you are telling me a standard driver can achieve better mileage because they control the gear they are in? If this is your belief than the DGS driver, if inclined, can do the same thing.
There is a slight highway mileage advantage to the manual car because they have a different final drive ratio. That may be only 2 or 3%
Your logic may have held some water years ago comparing a torque converter automatic to a manual shift but even then there was never a 30-40% difference.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:19   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Maybe it doesn't make sense. So why does Fuelly show numbers are consistently lower for TDIs with DSGs than manuals (at least 10%). And why do we see threads here about poor fuel economy with DSGs, but not with manual transmissions, like this one?