www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:47   #1
FletchMan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Default Stupid Alternator Light....anyone have resistor diagram for instrument cluster?

So, I've been through all the paces for the alternator light. The alternator charges just fine once it kicks on (must be certain RPM) as there is a problem with the exciter wire / dash light combo. The blue exciter wire is 12v when I turn the key as long as I don't have it hooked up to the alternator. As soon as I connect it to the alternator, no measured voltage - just goes to 0v. So, everything would make me think it's the regulator. I replaced that - still the same result. Now I'm thinking there is a problem with the dash light and possibly the resistor. This thing should be going off as I know the battery voltage and alternator are equal and complete the circuit quite often. I then took apart the entire dash and removed the cluster. I couldn't tell what resistor should be measuring what and none look totally blown up. Anyone know what belongs to the alt light?
FletchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:26   #2
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

Just have to trace the circuit board to the red light. I think it is more of a diod though. With juice coming from the battery to the alt it goes through the key and the dash and excites the alt and also lights the red light up. Once the alt is excited and juice starts flowing out instead of in the light goes out as the volts coming out of the alt is higher then what the battery has so the current reverses. I also want to say there is a 3 prong deal on the circuit board on the dash that is common to burn out. I just can't remember if it works with the alt or not.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 15:07   #3
FletchMan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta

It turned out NOT to be the light at all. I just had 2 bad regulators and I'm pretty sure it's because I fried the second one - if not both. I did a lot of needless repair and removal but I guess it works now.

Funny thing is that when the car is idling without the lights or heater on, the light flickers. Not sure that means. It's not a big worry though.
FletchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:09   #4
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

Most do flicker a little. I think one of the poor man repair manuals it states to put a red nail polish on that light so it will mask that low idle glow. The alt needs a certain speed to produce and a diesel idles very slow anyways.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote