www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 20th, 2011, 17:27   #1
miketoth1979

Fuel Economy: 32/46/60.5 (towing, avg., best)
Default P0402, EGR Excessive Flow, and my solution

Last week, my engine check light on my '01 5sp Golf illuminated while I was driving, and when I scanned the car, the error code read "P0402 - EGR Excessive Flow" The performance of the car was strangely not affected at all. No limp mode. Plenty of power, as always.

This struck me as odd, so I did a bunch of research on this site. Turns out, the EGR doesn't directly measure its own airflow, but instead uses an indirect measurement based on what the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is reading, or some such nonsense. To get the P0402 code to show up, one of the following things was happening:

- The EGR was not opening/closing, maybe a leaky diaphragm in the EGR itself
- The EGR was not opening/closing because the N18 valve wasn't working
- The EGR was not opening/closing because of some other vacuum leak

OR

- The EGR really WAS opening and closing, but the stupid MAF sensor was measuring incorrectly, which was confusing the ECU when it didn't get the numbers it expected, which caused it to throw the engine code.

I checked for vacuum leaks but found none. N18 was working just fine. Since I have a bit of a weepy EGR, I wondered if this had anything to do with the problem...

Turns out, it doesn't, and it was just a dirty MAF sensor. I used some MAF sensor cleaner and gave it a thorough spraying (but NO scrubbing). Popped it back in the car, started it up, and no more engine code for the past several days and many miles. Glad I found that out before I spent any money on new valves, hoses, MAF sensors, etc!!

Moral of the story: code "P0402- EGR Excessive Flow" is bogus. If the EGR system really did have a vacuum leak, wouldn't the EGR be stuck closed? And that wouldn't be excessive flow at all...it would be no flow. So if you get this engine code, check your MAF, because it could be the culprit.
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock
miketoth1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:07   #2
copbait
Veteran Member

actually it is excessive flow at the maf not the egr, which is what happens when your egr is stuck closed, it is not pulling air for the cleaner because it is coming from the exhaust. But congrats on the cheap fix, I am never so lucky
copbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:12   #3
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

Yes, since the ECM is measuring EGR using the MAF, when the EGR is not flowing you read an excess amount of air, hence "excess flow". Nice that you can fix an issue by just cleaning the contacts.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:43   #4
cumminsfromthecold
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta 39-47, TDIYota 28-30, always on B20-B99.9
Default P0402, '02 TDI Jetta Wagon

Helpful post among all of those on the P0402. I'll resurrect this one.

I've got all of the same symptoms miketoth described - great performance, yet this code.

Car is 1 week new to me. I've ruled out N18 (12V got solenoid moving just fine), EGR is clean from previous owner, EGR diaphragm holds vacuum. There was an aftermarket boost gauge line installed that I removed and capped at the custom-made hole in the hard piping line between intercooler and intake. New vacuum lines installed where needed. The one thing I haven't done is focus on the MAF sensor.

When you say you cleaned the MAF, you mean you sprayed it's screen (electrical connection cleaner?) and/or the connection contacts? Could you elaborate? Thanks

Last edited by cumminsfromthecold; July 29th, 2014 at 10:23. Reason: clarity
cumminsfromthecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:24   #5
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoth1979 View Post
Moral of the story: code "P0402- EGR Excessive Flow" is bogus. If the EGR system really did have a vacuum leak, wouldn't the EGR be stuck closed? And that wouldn't be excessive flow at all...it would be no flow. So if you get this engine code, check your MAF, because it could be the culprit.
This is not true at all. I've encountered this code several times and everytime its been a bad diaphragm in the egr valve vacuum pod.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:30   #6
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Then why did cleaning the MAF fix the OP's problem?
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:32   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsfromthecold View Post
...When you say you cleaned the MAF, you mean you sprayed it's screen (electrical connection cleaner?) and/or the connection contacts? Could you elaborate? Thanks
Electrical connection cleaner would be OK for the contacts, but there is a separate MAF cleaner product that would be sprayed on the MAF sensor itself. No need to disassemble the device, just make sure the spray is directed at the sensor.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:40   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

...and it's a hot film sensor rather than the more traditional hot wire sensor (needs a different can of cleaner... ie NOT the one with the picture of a a hot wire sensor on it )... and many will say spray-cleaning a hot film sensor is a crap shoot right from the get-go.
2001 blue TDI Jetta, Malone Stage 3. Grrrr baby... very grrrrrrr!
1970 Bay Window bus... not so grrrrr
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 11:17   #9
CoolAirVw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Then why did cleaning the MAF fix the OP's problem?
Then why did it fix the ones I've had here? Mine we diagnosed with information gathering from the car. The valve doesn't open, the diaphragm was ruptured. The original poster never did any real info gathering. Did he pull the elbow pipe and see if the valve opened? Did he cycle the solenoid with vagcom to see if the solenoid applied vacuum to the EGR pod? Did he pump up the actuator and see if the diaphragm was ruptured. NO he just assumed it was a dirty maf and cleaned it. If he's right then fine, but I'll bet you have to clean the maf sensor at least a dozen times to fix a ruptured diaphragm.

Why did it fix his??? How should I know? (who cares)

Theory one. He posted that it was fixed then a few days later the code reoccured.
Theory two... His code was a fluke and clearing it would have been enough.,
Theory three... who cares.

But for every one reading this... certainly, clean your Maf sensor first, just dont be confused when the code keeps reoccurring. And if you have access to a mityvac then see if the diaphram is ruptured or maybe even make some of the checks I mentioned above.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Last edited by CoolAirVw; August 1st, 2014 at 04:08.
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:31   #10
Votblindub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 Jetta

I'm signing up for more info and going to try some maf cleaner. You never know *shrugs*, it's cheap and worth a shot, at least.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M

2003 Jetta wagon, fuelly sig pic coming soon
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:27   #11
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

So what happened?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:07   #12
Votblindub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 Jetta

Quote:
So what happened?
With mine?

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M

2003 Jetta wagon, fuelly sig pic coming soon
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:38   #13
CoolAirVw

Quote:
So what happened?
Send him a PM and ask him.

It would be nice if there was follow up.

Maybe,..,., been driving year and its worked the whole time. Car is fixed. No other work was done other than cleaning the maf.

or .... sorry I made this post as the code reoccurred 2 weeks after making the post. I eventually fixed it with a vacuum hose (or egr replacement).