www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old November 16th, 2011, 11:37   #1
whiplash willy
Veteran Member

Default 39* Degree Outside Temp Warning

Does anyone know how to disable that annoying 39* Degree Outside Temp Warning that automatically comes up when it is below 40* F? (With Vag-Com)

I hate how it always pops up on the MFD screen, and switches the display from whatever it was on.

NCS & DSG Free Since 5/5/12!
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:03   #2
> Luke <
Veteran Member

And I await the answer, without the Vag-Com....if available..
As of 10/5/14: Latest 10 Fill-up Moving Average = 50.45 MPG. at 152,792 miles. Zero Oil usage. Only Chevron Fuel. I also carry a 6 gallon reserve container, used weekly: Thus allowing me to fill every Sunday 4/5/13>Total "fuel system" replaced due to primary fuel pump failure (metal shavings and all) Still very happy with my vehicle.
> Luke < is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:11   #3
pdt165
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Does anyone know how to disable that annoying 39* Degree Outside Temp Warning that automatically comes up when it is below 40* F? (With Vag-Com)

I hate how it always pops up on the MFD screen, and switches the display from whatever it was on.
What is the purpose of said warning?
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:23   #4
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
It is to warn you of the possibility of "black ice" formation. I have no idea why they chose 39 degrees to be the warning level.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I, too, would be interested to know if this can be turned off. I live somewhere 39 degrees is common (in the winter) but freezing is rare.
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:25   #5
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
Possible ice formation on roads. Yes I know, 40F is a little high for ice. I hate this feature on my 2011 Golf. It pops up at 4C with a little chime sound. I use it to dust off the long johns.
Old November 16th, 2011, 13:02   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

If it comes on in south Texas, then we know its winter!
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 13:11   #7
jbright
Veteran Member

Might be alerting us to the possibility of ice formation on bridges and overpasses, etc. which can ice up earlier than regular road surfaces (even if the air temperature is above freezing).

Last edited by jbright; November 16th, 2011 at 13:15.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 13:19   #8
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright View Post
Might be alerting us to the possibility of ice formation on bridges and overpasses, etc. which can ice up earlier than regular road surfaces (even if the air temperature is above freezing).
If the air temp drops from 45F down to 39F, no ice is going to form anywhere, bridge or otherwise. The bridge superstructure will only be as cold as ambient.

I'm sure someone will chime in with "supercooling", but that's not likely to happen either.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 13:51   #9
Engineers<3Diesel
Veteran Member

Ok I won't use the term supercooling. Ice can form on bridges even when the outside temp is above 32F. This is due to air flow under the bridge and pressure drops that can occur (change in pressure = change in temperature).

A good example of this is on my 70 air cooled VW beetle intake manifold. Even when it is 80 degrees outside, the pressure drop causes temps to lower and gas to drop out of suspension in the air. Also deemed a "frozen intake" they can get down to 40-50 degrees in the summer which is why tubes were put in later models to pull off exhaust gas and run it through tubes welded to the intake. This helped keep them warm and prevent the gas from "freezing".
Engineers<3Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 14:19   #10
MN_TDI12
Veteran Member

I was thinking about posting this exact same question. What I find annoy the most is that it take over your mini MFD but doesn't reset back to the info position that you had it on so you have to click back thru.
Old November 16th, 2011, 14:27   #11
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorDJQ View Post
If the air temp drops from 45F down to 39F, no ice is going to form anywhere, bridge or otherwise. The bridge superstructure will only be as cold as ambient.

I'm sure someone will chime in with "supercooling", but that's not likely to happen either.

Yeah but what about when the temp goes from 0F in the morning to 39F in the afternoon you still think there may be some ice on the roads?

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 15:22   #12
jbright
Veteran Member

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nat...uestion566.htm
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 18:05   #13
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Yeah but what about when the temp goes from 0F in the morning to 39F in the afternoon you still think there may be some ice on the roads?
That's a different story. If it's 0F when I wake up tomorrow and warms to the 30s, I'll be expecting ice. Unfortunately the MFA isn't smart enough to know when it makes sense to warn the driver or not. If I wake up tomorrow and it's 39F and stays 39F all day, I'm still not going to worry about ice on any of the many bridges I cross during the day.

I just think the warning is stupid. I don't mind the snow flake so much, but the chime is annoying. VWs chime for everything: low fuel, low windshield washer fluid. I know American society has been dumbed-down overt the last few generations--hence only 1 in 6 Americans being able to drive a manual transmission. Why not chime when humidity rises in the cabin and condensation is likely to form on the inside of the glass? Or when it's hot outside and you shouldn't leave your dog in the car with the windows up?

Last edited by MayorDJQ; November 16th, 2011 at 18:13.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 18:47   #14
elconquistador
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know American society has been dumbed-down overt the last few generations--hence only 1 in 6 Americans being able to drive a manual transmission.
LOL that's kind of a jump there, because most cars driven on the road today are Auto. There is a difference between "dumbed-down" and "ignorant" of something.
elconquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 19:38   #15
DuvalSt

Talking

Quote:
That's a different story. If it's 0F when I wake up tomorrow and warms to the 30s, I'll be expecting ice. Unfortunately the MFA isn't smart enough to know when it makes sense to warn the driver or not. If I wake up tomorrow and it's 39F and stays 39F all day, I'm still not going to worry about ice on any of the many bridges I cross during the day.

I just think the warning is stupid. I don't mind the snow flake so much, but the chime is annoying. VWs chime for everything: low fuel, low windshield washer fluid. I know American society has been dumbed-down overt the last few generations--hence only 1 in 6 Americans being able to drive a manual transmission. Why not chime when humidity rises in the cabin and condensation is likely to form on the inside of the glass? Or when it's hot outside and you shouldn't leave your dog in the car with the windows up?
I believe historically Volkswagen has sold and is still selling more manual transmissions than automatics. Probably the only manufacture (maybe other than BMW and Porsche) doing so. Of the 13 VW's I've owned, only 2 were automatics and that's because my new wife of 10 years claims she use to drive with 3 on the tree, but can't drive with 4 (or more) on the floor. Go figure. As for leaving the dog in the car when it's hot, break a window out first, then call the police. As for the chime, turn up the radio.
DuvalSt is offline   Reply With Quote