'Hammer Mod' without VAG COM ?

antgti

TDI
mk3 golf TDI
Hi guys , i've got a set of nozzles for my 1z which im hoping to fit in a couple of weeks time (0.216's) , however i don't have VAG-com and dont know anyone local who does... if i fit nozzles and it makes my idle go funny what other options do i have ?
is it possible to do the 'hammer mod' without a VAGCOM, or is there somewhere i can buy a cheap (ish) copy of VAGCOM?

Thanks
Ant

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Don't do it- you may as well blind fold youself first. The adjustment range is so miniscule that there is no way to know where you've set it. You need to have that cable do do any meaningful adjustment. Cmon... cough up the duckets so you can do this right!

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Not that I would promote this, you should look around to find someone with VAG-COM that you can borrow, but I think if you are able to start the car after the nozzle swap, you can do the hammer mod tapping it away from the TB side of the engine until the idle degrades (at this point the IQ will be below 2.2, mine was .8). Then slowly tap it back toward the TB until the idle smooths. Again, this adjustment isn't any kind of guarantee. Having never done this before, as I was trying to reduce my IQ, one (too hard apparently) tap took me from IQ of 6 to .8... So when you are tapping back toward the TB, go gently. Then, still find someone with Vag-Com and get it checked properly.

BTW, you need a special bit to loosen the "tamper proof" bolt on the IP. Can order from dieselgeek.com or likely from metalnerd.com

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
And why are you installIng new nozzles without having them calibrated and tested? Never would I install something as important as a nozzle or injector without having them calibrated and tested.

I stress that you go somewhere or ship them out to be done.

Also NEVER attempt the hammer mod with no vagcom. I beg you to not treat your car like that.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I'd advise you to get a Vag-Com, or someone who has one, before you start tapping your IP. That's more accurat and faster to do.

But of course you can do the hammer mod without vag-com, you should be aware of that the movement from one extreme to the other is really really small. Go too lean and the car wont start. You have to decide if you're capable of this or not, you have to undestand how the IP works and know what to do with the information you get from the car afterward, was it enough, did I go too far etc...I did it myself a week ago and it took a couple of tries before the car ran as good as I wanted, without shuddering, but OTOH I'm used to set timing by ear on the old VW IDI's.

You have to mark the current position of the pump deck, I scribed a thin line along the curve, you'll know what I mean when you see it. The curved line is perfect for this, you'll see the movement much better than with a straight line on the side of the IP, trust me on this.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Buy yourself a chinese cable on ebay and run the freeware version of vagcom. You can watch your IQ without needing to upgrade.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Installing nozzles without calibrating them= FAIL
Doing the hammer mod without VCDS=FAIL
Recommending buying a pirated china VCDS cable= FAIL

Lots of fail in this thread.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You're plenty fail yourself. I'm a proponent of callibrated nozzles, but it doesn't automatically equal a "fail". An aftermarket cable is not "pirated". Ross-tech RECOMMENDS you buy their cable since it has the license. Ross-tech PROVIDED the shareware version. That's been the case, until Ross-tech says otherwise. Get it straight.

antgti

TDI
mk3 golf TDI
Okay thanks guys , i have found a friend has vag com anyway , so if it needs doing ill borrow that :)

cheers

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
For best performance and economy, you really want to set it properly with vag-com. Intersting to experiment, but with the goal of Economy - Longevity - Performance...do it once and do it right.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

How is the cable pirated?

I have the authentic VCDS myself, but I don't see how the cable is pirated. Also, hasn't RossTech released a version of VCDS that works with a generic (non-Ross Tech) cable?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I didn't know you can see the IQ on the freeware, I need to fix the laptop and check what I ended up with!
I was doing this just the other day. Yes, you can see IQ with the freeware VAG COM and an eBay cable. Nothing "pirated" about it.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335741

I'm looking to update my ETKA.
Does anyone have a source for this application ?

TIA
Herman
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebugs
I'm looking for my first copy...

Even an old copy for MKIV's is about all I'd use.

turbocharged798 said:
Me too. I hate going to the stealer as they have no clue how to use it or how to find anything useful.
Funny, I thought you were against pirated software? ETKA that only a VW employee should have, and you want a copy? There be a large log in your eye.

roll

eyes

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm sure I'll get roasted for this but yes you can do the hammer mod without vag com...just a few light taps on the banjo return nut toward the timing belt side until the engine smooths out....you don't even have to loosen the screws (yes it will move even with light tapping) I've done this several times...so let the prep H flaming begin:rolleyes: .... and BTW I always use vag-com for the hammer mod....I'm just aware that after doing it countless times that it is possible without

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335741

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebugs
I'm looking for my first copy...

Even an old copy for MKIV's is about all I'd use.

Funny, I thought you were against pirated software? ETKA that only a VW employee should have, and you want a copy? There be a large log in your eye.

roll

eyes
Boohoo, I just got

:(

In all seriousness, its not like I am not buying $100s of parts from VW. At the very least they could give me ETKA to assist me in giving more money to them. :rolleyes:

antgti

TDI
mk3 golf TDI
dunno what ive started here guys:eek:

ill borrow my friends Vag com and do it right ... where can i find detailed info about the 'hammer mod'?

is there anywhere i can obtain a copy of vag com please ?