Help with an Engine Code!! P2271

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
My 2010 Jetta TDI DSG gave me an engine light today.

Got about 11k on the car now, and I've had it for a year almost to the day.

Well O'Riley's scanned the code for me; P2271 "O2 sensor signal stuck rich - Bank 1 Sensor 2"

Had them reset the code and it hasn't come back on yet (10 miles later)

Wondering if this is a common thing / anomoly and if I should be worried, car ran fine with the light on as I went to the store. The closest dealer to me is like 100 miles away, so I'd rather not have to go there if I don't have to.

Your thoughts please!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
It will take more then 10 miles for everything to reset ... Never good to reset the computer before going in for warrenty work !!! The dealer service departmentS have enough trouble even when the codes are there :p

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
well with my experience with another vehicle, resetting these codes does no damage, they will just reappear if the O2 sensor faults again

im just a little pissed its happening after just 11k miles...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You know - there is a reason why new cars have warranties. There may be more codes stored than a standard ODBII scanner will see. If it comes back, I would take it to my dealer if I were you.

Have Fun!

Don

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
found this website that talked about it briefly:

http://www.vwproblems.com/tsbs/Jetta/2010/

here's what it said:

• Date Reported JUNE 02 2010
    • NHTSA Reference #10034731
    • TSB Reference #TB-24-10-02
    Description: VOLKSWAGEN: IMPROVED ECM SOFTWARE CALIBRATION TO STABILIZE 02 SENSOR DIAGNOSIS. 02 SENSOR DIAGNOSIS TOO SENSITIVE AND CONTAMINATION OF THE 02 SENSOR CAUSING MIL ON WITH DTCS P0136, P0139, P2271, P013B AND/OR P320C. *PE

Sounds like it may be a bug in the diognostic system and they fixed it with an ecu update?

I tried calling a dealer (150 miles away) yesterday to see if my car qualified for any ecu / dsg updates. As I know it does because of the post about the new DSG update. They never called back

The dealers down here near Mississippi suck, the people don't seem to care like they did up in Connecticut.

Any other thoughts comments on my little problem here? Anyone else had this code?

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
It'd be a lot easier to get the dealer to check it out if you didn't clear that code.

You just dropped almost $30k on a car with one of the most sophisticated engine management systems the US market has ever seen, and you went to O'Reilly for a free code check?

Just get a VCDS, it'll save you thousands over the life of your car, especially if your dealers are distant and non-responsive.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
well with my experience with another vehicle, resetting these codes does no damage, they will just reappear if the O2 sensor faults again

im just a little pissed its happening after just 11k miles...
Why pissed?

Take the car to a dealer ...drive 250 the other way if the dealer closest to you sux.

You are missing the software upgrade that most here on this board have had for some time.

p.s.
The only dealer that has touched my car is 225 miles away in Dallas, Texas. I have two local dealers here, but I feel they are just too small, not enough TDIs.

Last edited:

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
It'd be a lot easier to get the dealer to check it out if you didn't clear that code.

You just dropped almost $30k on a car with one of the most sophisticated engine management systems the US market has ever seen, and you went to O'Reilly for a free code check?

Just get a VCDS, it'll save you thousands over the life of your car, especially if your dealers are distant and non-responsive.
well obviously I won't drive to the dealer if the light is not on, i had it reset to see if it came on again, or if it was a one time fault as it seems these things can be.

Why would I not go to a local parts store for a code check? An OBDII code is an OBDII code, gonna give the same number and general description no matter who reads it. Sure VCDS will give more info, but I don't have one. Code reset is not irreversible.

Why pissed?

Take the car to a dealer ...drive 250 the other way if the dealer closest to you sux.

You are missing the software upgrade that most here on this board have had for some time.

p.s.
The only dealer that has touched my car is 225 miles away in Dallas, Texas. I have two local dealers here, but I feel they are just too small, not enough TDIs.

so there is likely a software update that is due for my car, aside from the new DSG one? I kinda figured, dam. Can't get a dam answer from these dealers, and my job doesn't permit taking a week day off, and the two closest dealers don't have the "VW guy" in on Saturdays.

I'm going to try and schedule an appt. for the day after Thanksgiving, hopefully the dealers are open.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
yea, i just read your thread, the dealer told me that the ecu update would take care of that code, so they updated my computer and reset the code.

I had the code reset a few weeks aga (as i mention in my other thread) and it came back on a week later. I drove 80 or so miles to the dealer with the light on and got great mileage and it ran fine 48mpg on the way there.

I don't think its too too big of an issue, but if you're near a dealer i'd go back. For me, im just going to hope it doesn't come back on again after this update!

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
well the ECU update did not take care of it; today the light came back on

P0136 X2 and P2271

both of which refer to O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2

Guess I'll have to drive with the light on for a while until I can bring it to the dealer AGAIN...

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
goin to the dealer tomorrow on the way back from the airport, since it's on the way home.

Gonna have to be firm with them about the fact that it keeps coming on and that the update did not alleviate the problem, and hopefully get them to replace the O2 sensor

We'll see if they actually can / will replace anything to fix the problem, wish me luck!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I also have this code occur from time to time. It resets itself off after a couple of days and then a week later it's back on. It's only been intermittent like this for a couple of months. It's running well and no other symptoms. Am I doing anything wrong by just driving it? Anything else I should do? I'm off warranty and avoid my local dlr. Next closest one is about 450 miles away. My indy syas just to keep a watch on it if it stops going back off on its own.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
So I wrote that at the end of April and it came on again at the end of July. Extrapolation would tell me this will happen about 4 times per year, or about every 3k miles. Nothing to worry about?

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
It ended up being a bad O2 sensor on my car, dealer replaced for free under warranty

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, sold.... 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI loved it, but had to sell it, replaced it with a low miled 2003 Jetta Sedan and just sold it when I got a 2009 Jetta, 2005 Dodge Cummins 6 speed, short bed, 4 door, 4wd , 2010 Jetta 6 speed, wifes car
guys,

just curious if this is a "recall" or is this something that I can expect to get held up for by the dealer. I put a new rear O2 sensor in last spring, gone about 5000 miles and light is back on . Checked it with VCDS and same thing as last time. either I have another bad O2 sensor and/or I need to have dealer do this. I bought the car used with 49k miles on it. 63000 now 2010 jetta tdi 6 speed. I have no idea if it has been done or not.

• Date Reported JUNE 02 2010
  • NHTSA Reference #10034731
  • TSB Reference #TB-24-10-02
Description: VOLKSWAGEN: IMPROVED ECM SOFTWARE CALIBRATION TO STABILIZE 02 SENSOR DIAGNOSIS. 02 SENSOR DIAGNOSIS TOO SENSITIVE AND CONTAMINATION OF THE 02 SENSOR CAUSING MIL ON WITH DTCS P0136, P0139, P2271, P013B AND/OR P320C. *PE

whitfield3

TDI
2010 jetta wagon TDI
where can i find the sensor bank 1/sensor 2 to fix my p2271 and p0136 codes

I think I would just replace my car has 78000 miles on it 2010 vw jetta wagon also where can I find a repair manual for my car tdi 2.0