Heated mirrors not working on 06 Jetta TDI

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Does anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong with my heated mirrors? I looked in the owner's manual for a fuse or relay but no luck. All I see is auxiliary heating. It probably runs off another fuse that is not listed. The power mirrors do work, but I do suppose that the switch could still be bad. Any ideas or suggestions?

syntheticreality

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
I noticed that mine dont seem very heated for heated mirrors either. I figured they just werent heated, but i do have the cold weather package...

Mr. Glowplug

TDI
2009 Jetta Loyal Ed. DSG
I remember my wife and I burned the heated mirrors out on her 01 Beetle as we thought leaving the switch centered kept us from accidentally adjusting the mirrors. Leaving it centered meant they were on all of the time. As I recall, it even threw a code. Perhaps you could pop out the mirror and test with a test light?

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
the ones on my 03 were pretty good and you could cut them on and either defrost them or "burn" the dew off. Got really used to them and really liked the feature.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
I remember my wife and I burned the heated mirrors out on her 01 Beetle as we thought leaving the switch centered kept us from accidentally adjusting the mirrors. Leaving it centered meant they were on all of the time. As I recall, it even threw a code. Perhaps you could pop out the mirror and test with a test light?
Yeah I even have one better at work. I have a Power Probe that I could actually power up the mirror and see if it warms up. If you leave it centered, then press forward is what turns them on. I would guess you had a bad switch in your beetle.

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
If you have a voltmeter you can check, run the - to ground and check for voltage with the key in and the switch activated.if you have voltage, it's the mirrors that are bad. If not you will need to check for voltage at the switch. If voltage goes to the switch and not out of the switch it's the switch. If the switch doesn't have voltage it's either a fuse or wire.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Do they have a timer or relay? I know that the rear defrost turns off after it warms up or is this just "built in" to the resistors that make the heat?

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Been below 40 here many mornings so far this year. I want it fixed before it gets real bad.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Been below 40 here many mornings so far this year. I want it fixed before it gets real bad.
Check the position of the Heated Mirror Switch.
There is a L, and an R for the adjustment of the Left or Right Mirror.
That leaves a "O" setting for off, and "Squiggely" setting for Heat.
Normally you would want the "O" (off) setting for daily driving.
If you had the incorrect setting, then over time you coul possibly have damaged the Mirrors*.

*The Heating Cycle is roughly 10 Minutes, but if you had the switch in the incorrect position, the would equate to a 10 minute cycle of heat every time you drove the car. Although the Rear Window Defogger will time out, the Mirrors may not time out.
There is the J99 Heated Mirror Relay, which could be suspect.

Relay Arrangements on relay panel at Vehicle Electrical System Control Module under instrument Panel, left
B1 (left) B2/B3/B4 just to the right of B1... B2(J99) Sub Code SHZG Relay Type 449

Last edited:

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Check the position of the Heated Mirror Switch.
There is a L, and an R for the adjustment of the Left or Right Mirror.
That leaves a "O" setting for off, and "Squiggely" setting for Heat.
Normally you would want the "O" (off) setting for daily driving.
If you had the incorrect setting, then over time you coul possibly have damaged the Mirrors*.

*The Heating Cycle is roughly 10 Minutes, but if you had the switch in the incorrect position, the would equate to a 10 minute cycle of heat every time you drove the car. Although the Rear Window Defogger will time out, the Mirrors may not time out.
There is the J99 Heated Mirror Relay, which could be suspect.

Relay Arrangements on relay panel at Vehicle Electrical System Control Module under instrument Panel, left
B1 (left) B2/B3/B4 just to the right of B1... B2(J99) Sub Code SHZG Relay Type 449
Wow Tim. Thanks for the info. Apparently I have not been turning it on correctly. :eek:I remember setting the one on my Mark IV to the line between L and R and then pushing forward to cut them on. It is different in that you have to turn the knob all the way around and point it at the heat setting. Good info goes a long way! Thanks again!