www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:23   #1
FletchMan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Default More Alternator Belt Info for MK2

I've done a lot of research trying to figure out just how to deal with an odd alternator belt problem. I couldn't find much out there anywhere so I thought I'd post this.

For whatever reason, the belt that says should fit the alternator (from the a/c compressor) is too big. Yes, it was the exact belt that came off it but once I try to reinstall the same size, it just won't tighten down enough. It could be that I tightened the compressor belt a little more so that made this belt a shorter run. Eventually, I just decided to buy the 7270 belt instead of the 7280 the book called for. It's an inch shorter and once I installed it, everything worked perfectly. I had plenty of room to tension it and my alternator seems happy.

The belt system on this is notoriously crappy so if this saves one person the headache I had, it's worth it.
FletchMan is offline   Reply With Quote