www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 13th, 2011, 15:17   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Vekke, thanks for putting this thread and all of the videos together. It is all great information and I've enjoyed it.

Subscribed!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:34   #17
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm2232 View Post
so what i'm being told is that it is more efficient to push the accelerator to the floor and rev the engine up? i was always told that gradual accelerations, shifting at 1800-2100 will yield the best MPG's. I feel that in testing, if i drive more conservatively, i get better mileage. should i raise my IQ to reduce smoke under heavy acceleration? i just can't believe that faster acceleration and higher RPM's will not hurt fuel economy.
Yup, holds true even on a 747.

You burn less fuel to get to altitude at full climb power than at a reduced climb power setting. (We have three settings to choose from).

Full climb power reduces the time to climb, getting you to altitude faster and reducing the total fuel consumption. Also just like a TDI a jet engine has a near identical efficiency
map (lean burn engine just like a diesel).

The drawback is that the engines run at a higher power setting which can account for some reduction in service life (could be a factor on a $18M engine times 4), not that this is ever a concern on a stock or modified TDI engine.

For a TDI you want to get up to speed quickly and reduce the time spent in the less efficient rpm/load ranges.

Nice compilation!

Last edited by Drivbiwire; November 19th, 2011 at 05:36.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:20   #18
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Wonderful thread! I have been thinking of making similar videos for a while now, but you beat me to it!! Thank you!
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:37   #19
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Enjoyed your vid's. Made perfect sense. We can all benefit from applying these techniques. All we have to do is want to. I for one have been using some of these techniques ever sense I purchased my Golf TDI. I've gone from being a gas hog to a diesel miser. And actually having fun doing it.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:09   #20
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I think this thread should be a sticky.

Old November 19th, 2011, 07:13   #21
manual_tranny

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I think this thread should be a sticky.
X2!! Needs to be at the top of the list!!
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:42   #22
biglipps66

It all makes sense but boy am I afraid to try it for even 1 tank of fuel lol. I think my next fill up Ill try and floor it to get to speed and see what happens
biglipps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:45   #23
manual_tranny

Keep in mind that actually putting the pedal to the floor is not the best way to get good efficiency. For many of us, that would mean spinning our tires... not the most efficient way to drive.

50%-80% throttle will get most of us into the efficient range we're looking for without wasting fuel lighting up our tires.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:48   #24
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Exactly. 50-80% should be sufficient to get you up to speed quickly without blowing smoke, spinning tires, or generally being obnoxious. The point is, don't be afraid to load the engine up and use a good amount of turbo boost. The quicker you get up to speed, the quicker you can start coasting and using P&G techniques.

Old November 19th, 2011, 08:26   #25
biglipps66

2 very good posts thanks fellas.

I actually noticed this on both of my first big fill ups come to think of it. The first one I averaged 38.6 with my foot in the throttle quite a bit. The second I averaged 40.4, babied it a lot more and had an additional 110 miles of travel though as well. Ill definitely try this out.

EDIT:
How does this work with having to accelerate only 100-200 feet before a turn? 50-80% still and coast in gear or just go slow through a couple gears without much load?

Last edited by biglipps66; November 19th, 2011 at 09:27.
biglipps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:49   #26
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

For those who do not know or doubt how this is possible, understand that accelerating swiftly to the desired steady-state speed and posted limits does not mean driving the car in general aggressively like you stole it. On the direct contrary, you get to speed while upshifting as early as reasonably possible and looking well ahead and planning your moves, getting off the go-pedal well before stops and keeping forward momentum up where possible. I've heard a useful analogy just for illustrative purposes and it goes something like, "it's not the use of the accelerator pedal that wastes energy, but the use of the brakes."

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:03   #27
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
Keep in mind that actually putting the pedal to the floor is not the best way to get good efficiency. For many of us, that would mean spinning our tires... not the most efficient way to drive.

50%-80% throttle will get most of us into the efficient range we're looking for without wasting fuel lighting up our tires.
Quote:
Exactly. 50-80% should be sufficient to get you up to speed quickly without blowing smoke, spinning tires, or generally being obnoxious. The point is, don't be afraid to load the engine up and use a good amount of turbo boost. The quicker you get up to speed, the quicker you can start coasting and using P&G techniques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
For those who do not know or doubt how this is possible, understand that accelerating swiftly to the desired steady-state speed and posted limits does not mean driving the car in general aggressively like you stole it. On the direct contrary, you get to speed while upshifting as early as reasonably possible and looking well ahead and planning your moves, getting off the go-pedal well before stops and keeping forward momentum up where possible. I've heard a useful analogy just for illustrative purposes and it goes something like, "it's not the use of the accelerator pedal that wastes energy, but the use of the brakes."
Yes, this is what I believe the OP means. Also think this should be a sticky.
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:44   #28
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister
"it's not the use of the accelerator pedal that wastes energy, but the use of the brakes."
Exactly!

Vekke's City Driving Techniques video is superb. Pay close attention as he describes his thought process while driving. To me, this verbal walk-through is the best part of the video. http://www.youtube.com/user/TunekoLt.../1/THkVciVpmxs

Old November 19th, 2011, 17:37   #29
rtn1911

Fuel Economy: Better than my Cummins

Quote:
Exactly!

Vekke's City Driving Techniques video is superb. Pay close attention as he describes his thought process while driving. To me, this verbal walk-through is the best part of the video. http://www.youtube.com/user/TunekoLt.../1/THkVciVpmxs
Agreed! The videos are great.
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:16   #30
Vekke
Veteran Member

I try to get the camera more stable ground, now it shakes little bit. Note that those are first takes on each run and some routes like in that city driving video I dont know the timing of the lights from memory.

In that finnish video is talked also about the slipping tires. you can minimize that by lining up in the intersection so that you dont have to turn your steering wheel so much when you leave it. That means more torgue can be applied to forwand movement without slipping wheels . Little slip is good for fastest acceleration but only very little, basicly you cannot control it unless you have LSD gearbox and even so its very difficult. Its best not slip at all for your tires sake.

Tomorrow will try to shoot next city driving video with more traffic. Also roads already start to be on ice so that tire slipping might be real problem tomorrow. Talking while driving is pretty easy because I know what I should and will do but trying to teach drive somebody from helpdrivers side is 5 times more difficult. You dont know what he does and his driving skills etc...