www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:51   #1
DjEclipse

Default Rotella T6 Dealer said not to use it?

Hi all,

I just bought a 01 TDI and am wanting to do an oil change this weekend.

I checked the oil a few days ago and saw it was low, I read here that the Rotella T6 5W40 was a good synthetic oil to use so I bought some and topped up the oil. I have no clue what was in there before.

While I was at the dealer buying the oil filer, air and cabin filters I asked about the rotella oil T6. He said that I can't use the Rotella T6 oil as it does not meet the VW 505.00 specification for oil. and that I should use the Castrol 5w30 that they sell.

I don;t mind spending a little more for oil but I don't believe that the castrol 5W30 the dealer is selling is a god choice.

So is the Rotella t6 ok to use, and/ or is there a better oil I should be using.

Thanks.
DjEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:55   #2
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

i suggest you do some reading....hundreds of threads on this...
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:57   #3
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Oil Should I Use Thread
PART ONE: For engines that are NOT "pumpe-duse" or "common-rail". This is for the older-design mechanical rotary distributor pump engines.

You must use a synthetic engine oil, recommended viscosity 5w40 although 0w40 is also permissible (and in the case that the oil meets specifically one of the VW 505.xx standards then the viscosity does not matter, it could be different), AND in the fine print on the bottle that lists what standards that the oil conforms to, it must list either VW 505.00, ACEA B3, ACEA B4, API CJ-4, CI-4, API CH-4, or API CG-4. (Note: "Either" means ANY ONE OF, not necessarily all of them. For example, if it's VW 505.00 but doesn't list the others, that's fine, because VW 505.00 is "one" of the standards listed and you only need "one".) But do NOT assume that any synthetic oil will meet these standards. READ THE BOTTLE. For example, most versions of Mobil 1 do NOT meet these standards (they are meant for gasoline engines). Also, any oil that is suitable for a P-D is fine for a distributor-pump engine.
Your dealer is wrong. See above, or just look at your car's manual.

Your engine does not exclusively require 505.00. Used oil analysis show T6 5W-40 to be superior to Castrol 5W-30. Stay with T6.
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:00   #4
DjEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2143 View Post
Your dealer is wrong. See above, or just look at your car's manual.

Your engine does not exclusively require 505.00. Used oil analysis show T6 5W-40 to be superior to Castrol 5W-30. Stay with T6.
Thanks for the reply. I have done a lot of reading on oil (among other things), but after talking to the dealer I figured I would ask here.

So basically the dealer is now recommending sub par oil for these cars? Why would they change the oil recommendation? Do they have a deal with Castrol or something?
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:02   #5
davebugs

Imagine a clueless dealer?

I've used it for over 200k in my 01 Golf with OEM filters - you'll be fine.

I do change it every 5k since it's so cheap and good insurance.

Let the OCI bashing begin, but it works for me.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:06   #6
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have done a lot of reading on oil (among other things), but after talking to the dealer I figured I would ask here.

So basically the dealer is now recommending sub par oil for these cars? Why would they change the oil recommendation? Do they have a deal with Castrol or something?
They are recommending the oil that most dealer's sell AFAIK. It's a fine oil (my car used it for 80,000 during dealer service), just not as robust as T6. For them to say that you can't use T6 is what irks me, as it's untrue, as stated in your owner's manual. 0W/5W-40 is all I would run in a TDI anyway. Save money, run T6 10,000 mi OCI. Now that's what I call cheap insurance
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals

Last edited by eb2143; November 4th, 2011 at 09:11.
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:24   #7
oEo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

Here's a good list of CJ-4 5W40 oils to start with. There's also Euro oils which can be found on some of the vendors sites as well.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215098

2 0 0 4 I n d i g o B l u e G o l f R C 1 T D I C L U B A D D I C T I O N @ 1 3 0 k R u n n i n g W i t h T D T U O A

Last edited by oEo; November 4th, 2011 at 09:26.
oEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:28   #8
boertje
Veteran Member

My 01 bug always used some oil when I was running the dealer castrol 5w-40. Then I switched to Mobil one TDT and it started to use even more oil (quart per 8000). Then I tried the T6 and my oil consumption completely stopped.
My oil of choice is Shell T6 5w-40 in my entire fleet.
Auto to 5/6 spd manual swap with wiring instructions for MKIV. Click here.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:34   #9
davebugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boertje View Post
My 01 bug always used some oil when I was running the dealer castrol 5w-40. Then I switched to Mobil one TDT and it started to use even more oil (quart per 8000). Then I tried the T6 and my oil consumption completely stopped.
My oil of choice is Shell T6 5w-40 in my entire fleet.
Perhaps I shouldn't say this, because you know how it goes now it might cause me problems.

But in 215k miles (first 20k maintenance done by dealer though) I've never consumed any oil (except one time when oil pressure sender went bad). Still don't. Other than what dealer used it's had nothing but Rotella T fully synthetic. What I've been able to observe of my engine (like turbo replacement at 180k for a VNT17 where the intake wasn't even dirty enough to clean) it all looks great inside as well.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:36   #10
DjEclipse

Thanks again for the replies. I will use the T6 and disregard what the dealer said.

I will probably be changing the oil every 8000km's give or take a few, I am used to the 5000km changes for gas cars and 10,000miles between changes seems so long.

Cheers

Last edited by DjEclipse; November 4th, 2011 at 09:42.
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:57   #11
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Nah, DJ, the API truck oils are good to go 10k miles intervals without breaking a sweat, assuming a stock engine that's in good shape. At an 8k kms interval, the oil is just starting to show degradation on the ULSD fuel.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:59   #12
DjEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf View Post
Nah, DJ, the API truck oils are good to go 10k miles intervals without breaking a sweat, assuming a stock engine that's in good shape. At an 8k kms interval, the oil is just starting to show degradation on the ULSD fuel.
Really? That's 16,000km's At those intervals the difference in price between the oil is negligible really...
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:07   #13
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Actually, to determine what OCI you should be using we need to know what kind of driving are you doing? Mostly highway, mostly city, lots of starting and stopping? etc.

I do all highway, all the time... I do 15k OCI's with TDT.
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:17   #14
dieseldorf
top post dawg

That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Really? That's 16,000km's At those intervals the difference in price between the oil is negligible really...

And now you are beginning to see what you've been missing all these years.

The 16k kms interval has been in place for years. Nothing new there.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:24   #15
DjEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
Actually, to determine what OCI you should be using we need to know what kind of driving are you doing? Mostly highway, mostly city, lots of starting and stopping? etc.

I do all highway, all the time... I do 15k OCI's with TDT.
I would say my driving is 65% city, 35% highway, I m not in a major city so I don't do bumper to bumper traffic often. But I do not baby my vehicles, I tend to get the worst mileage out of every car I drive because I have a lead foot.