www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:32   #1
GodStang

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta
Default 2012 DSG tricks for better mpg?

I hate to start another one of these as it seems to be asked a million times but in all my research everything seems to be the older models and manuals. I have a DSG 2012 Jetta TDI. Wife said it has to be an auto and she controls the sex in the family so ya we got an auto so please do not say swap to manual cause that is not happening. My tire pressure is at ~90% of max psi on tire side wall. I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas.

So that leaves me with my question. Has anyone started modding the newer cars to gain better gas milage and I so what have you done and what gains have you seen? What of the old TDI tricks work on the new TDIs?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:49   #2
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSkippy View Post
Wife said it has to be an auto and she controls the sex in the family so ya we got an auto so please do not say swap to manual cause that is not happening.
Not funny. Rude. This makes you look bad not her and is not necessary here. Really have some class or at least Klass.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:10   #3
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Quote:
I shift into neutral when going down steep hills...
I believe VW has stated this is not good for the DSG.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:14   #4
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Also, you're not doing the engine any good by pussy footing around trying to save fuel.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:22   #5
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

You got 39.3 on your FIRST TANK with a DSG and you're complaining about the mileage?

The mileage will slowly get better as the engine breaks in and as you learn to drive the car.

Stop putting it in neutral going down the hills, any extra wear and tear that might cause the DSG will quickly negate the hundreths of mpg's you - might - be picking up from doing it.

Don't baby the car off the assembly line, it needs to see some revs and boost to get everything settled in nicely.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:48   #6
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Quote:
I hate to start another one of these as it seems to be asked a million times but in all my research everything seems to be the older models and manuals. I have a DSG 2012 Jetta TDI. Wife said it has to be an auto and she controls the sex in the family so ya we got an auto so please do not say swap to manual cause that is not happening. My tire pressure is at ~90% of max psi on tire side wall. I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas.

So that leaves me with my question. Has anyone started modding the newer cars to gain better gas milage and I so what have you done and what gains have you seen? What of the old TDI tricks work on the new TDIs?
rotflmao!!!!!

THE DSG is still a good choice. It actually is faster in most cases, and can come very very close or do as good in mpgs...

up shift quickly and keep rpm down. try to keep rpms under 2800. go with michelin tires, get 20,000 miles on it to loosen it up.

Most mods give some power but usually use more fuel. All the easy stuff has been done by the manufactures... driving sensably is the best thing you can do... and the car will always get fantastic mpg at 50 vrs 75 mph.
According to statistics, every human has one testicle and one large breast.
98% of Lawyers give the rest a bad name.
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:52   #7
GodStang

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta

Was not complaining about the mileage. Just trying to learn and was wondering after driving technique what are good things to do. Thanks for those with good advice on improving my driving. This is my first turbo and first desiel.

Last edited by GodStang; November 2nd, 2011 at 08:59.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:35   #8
emdeeaitch
Veteran Member

Quote:
... I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas...
Because diesels breath differently than gas engines, this may be having the opposite effect. Whereas gas engines have a strong engine brake effect, diesels have more of a "compressed air spring" effect that allows them to coast a long way while "engine braking" as compared to gas motors. This compressed air effect is why to seriously engine brake with a diesel you need to add an actual "jake brake," which is not going to happen on a passenger vehicle.

To my point, I have found that with any TDI, be it manual or DSG, the MPG goes through the roof when engine braking up to a stop or turn. Just leave it in an appropriate gear and let it roll.

It may (and I say may because I don't have to tools to measure it other than the fuel computer) take more fuel to keep the engine running at idle than will be consumed to coast in gear.

For a good explanation of the mechanics behind what I'm saying, read the wikipedia article on diesel engine.
2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Replacement Vehicle on 7/1/2009, sold 10/27/11), 2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Lemon! Turbo failure on 5/7/2009), 2006.5 Jetta TDI Pkg1 5M 17s Reflex Silver (sold 5/6/2009), 2005 Jetta TDI GLS Leather 5M Reflex Silver (collision, sold 2006), 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6M Platinum Grey (sold 2004), 1996 Jetta GLX VR6 5M Candy White (sold 2003)

Last edited by emdeeaitch; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:38.
emdeeaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:42   #9
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

I've found, and verified, you will save more fuel by coasting in neutral in spots where you do not need to slow down, and using the engine braking to cut fuel where you do need to control your speed.

Engine "braking" is still braking, and you are wasting your momentum.

Also, I'm curious as I do not have a DSG, how does coasting in neutral increase wear in that transmission? I've been coasting in neutral for a while now with my O1M with no noticeable degradation, and significantly improved fuel mileage.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:46   #10
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Well, I'd agree with the other people in the thread - since the car is new, you should be focussing on running in your engine rather than MPG initially. Be gentle while the engine is still cold, but once it is hot then work your way through the rev range, including visits to 3500 rpm. The intention of this is to get the piston rings sealing properly, so that the car does not drink oil later in it's life.

Once the engine has freed up (10k - 20k), then that's the point you can think about MPG.

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:48   #11
emdeeaitch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I've found, and verified, you will save more fuel by coasting in neutral in spots where you do not need to slow down, and using the engine braking to cut fuel where you do need to control your speed.

Engine "braking" is still braking, and you are wasting your momentum.
I'm obviously talking about situations in which you need to regulate speed or do wish to slow down. The OP said "steep hill." That means either riding the brake (which is bad) or choosing an appropriate gear. Going into neutral and riding the brake is a pretty awful choice, especially if the hill is long.
2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Replacement Vehicle on 7/1/2009, sold 10/27/11), 2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Lemon! Turbo failure on 5/7/2009), 2006.5 Jetta TDI Pkg1 5M 17s Reflex Silver (sold 5/6/2009), 2005 Jetta TDI GLS Leather 5M Reflex Silver (collision, sold 2006), 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6M Platinum Grey (sold 2004), 1996 Jetta GLX VR6 5M Candy White (sold 2003)
emdeeaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:22   #12
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdeeaitch View Post
I'm obviously talking about situations in which you need to regulate speed or do wish to slow down. The OP said "steep hill." That means either riding the brake (which is bad) or choosing an appropriate gear. Going into neutral and riding the brake is a pretty awful choice, especially if the hill is long.
Quite right.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:41   #13
JettaTDiPA
Veteran Member

Quote:

Most of us with new engine, etc. are lucky to get 31-34 mpg on the first tank or two. I'm am just starting to get 38mpg at 5k miles. Mine is also a DSG. Right out of the box they are not going to even get the EPA estimate.
I am not a transmission expert, I would suggest avoid putting the car in and out of neutral while in motion. Does some research on this site- you will find "coasting" in gear burns precious little fuel.
JettaTDiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 13:16   #14
mohawk69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Not funny. Rude. This makes you look bad not her and is not necessary here. Really have some class or at least Klass.

Is funny. Isn't rude. Some are just WAY WAY WAY to thin skinned. BTW, this is true everywhere except CA. Maybe even WA now. I hope it's not spreading because someone has to be in charge.
mohawk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 13:50   #15
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

Yup. Is funny, and true...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote