Why do people disable DRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenargo

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen w/Nav, Sunroof, DSG
I see a fair number of mods to disable daytime running lights; why would you want to do this?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I see a fair number of mods to disable daytime running lights; why would you want to do this?
Ken, welcome aboard! Many elect to spare the hours on the bulbs so they are available for use when it's dark out ;)

Hundreds of threads on this identical topic...did you have a chance to look ??

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ken, perhaps you missed this:

US DOT rejects Daytime Running Lights

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

National Highway Traffic Safety

Administration

49 CFR Part 571

[Docket No. NHTSA–2001–8876]

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108; Lamp, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment

AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), DOT.

ACTION: Denial of petition for rulemaking.

SUMMARY: This document denies a petition for rulemaking submitted by General Motors on December 20, 2001. The petitioner requested that the agency amend the Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) on lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment to require the installation of daytime running lamps on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses that have a gross vehicle weight rating under 4,536 kilograms (10,000 lbs). NHTSA has reviewed the petition and performed an extensive analysis of real world crash data. Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rulemaking. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps.
Source document: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-15314.pdf

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
LED DRL's are the way to go. Cheap, you can still be seen, and they last forever.

kenargo

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen w/Nav, Sunroof, DSG
Thanks, I try searches but there is SOOO much information that is relivent and not that I found it quicker to ask. It's all about getting the correct search keywords and it wasn't happening for me on this topic.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The NHTSA can say what they want, but I've been in quite a few circumstances where my recognition of another vehicle's presence was delayed by the absence of DRLs. These weren't close-calls, but I would have had a fraction more time to evaluate the traffic situation around me had all vehicles been running DRLs. Grey/silver cars on grey overcast days or on foggy days could be a hazard. Perhaps the bigger issue is that so many driver's have no idea when it's appropriate to turn their headlights ON.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Switched my DRLs from the main headlights to the fog lights. Just didn't really like the looks of the xenons being on 24/7.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Again? I guess that's what happens when there is too much of a good thing: it becomes hard to search easily.

crn3

TDI
2005.5 Jetta & 2009 Touareg
I truly don't see the point in shortening the usable lifespan of my xenon headlights by having them on even in perfect weather, so I have disabled the DRLs in all my vehicles. Will not cause a single problem if you are vigilant in turning them on when conditions require.

sabtastic

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
1. Some people like control of when headlights are on.
Same reason why so many threads ask how to disable the ATA confirm when locking the doors. It is annoying sometimes to not have control over your vehicle.

2. depends on where you live.
where I live we have around 190 sunny days per year. places like seattle have around 50. Since it has been proven DRL do nothing for safety on bright sunny days some feel it is prudent to disable them.

3. they do not do enough in lower light conditions.
some feel that if lighting is poor enough to require DRL to be noticed, it is probably better to have all your lights on, that way you can been seen from behind/the sides as well. essentially this renders the DRL useless since you would be turning your lights on anyway.

hope that helps you out!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The Mk6 cars use a dedicated lamp for the DRLs so the "I want to save the lamps" line of thought isn't valid anymore :)

-J

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I changed mine because I wanted control. I turn on my lights when needed and like the option to run parking lights or parking and fogs without headlights with the Euro light switch.

DRLs are really good for those folks who never turn on their lights, even in rain, fog or dim light conditions. The only bad thing with them, they still don't have taillights.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I have also wondered why someone would want to turn off a safety feature. My JSW is dark blue and seems invisible to other drivers - except for the DRLs.

2009 JSW - stock.

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
As far as I can tell the purpose of DRLs is to make you more visible to other motorist ...so they can see you sooner, and still pull out in front of you, cutting you off and forcing you to slam on the brakes. There is still no cure for stupid.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
They either don't exist or I turn them off on all my cars. I do however end up turning on the headlights and driving around with them on most of the time in all but my Jeep.

I just like to be able to control which lights are on and when.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
There is still no cure for stupid.
Louisville Slugger.

Cant understand why headlights on with wipers isn't oem on all cars (with an option to over ride for those special occasions but defaults back upon restart). Here in NY it's mandatory but rarely enforced. It makes a big difference.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I drive a Mk5 VW, so the same bulb is used for DRLs and headlights. I also live in a town full of idiot (and drunk) drivers. Often I see people driving around after dark with no lights on. When my DRLs were enabled - those people could not tell when I flashed my headlights at them. It is hard to notice when the headlights only go from 80% to 100% brightness. Once I disabled my DRLs - now they notice when I flash my headlights at them to remind them to turn on their headlights. Longer headlight bulb life is just a side benefit.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I changed mine because I wanted control. I turn on my lights when needed and like the option to run parking lights or parking and fogs without headlights with the Euro light switch.

DRLs are really good for those folks who never turn on their lights, even in rain, fog or dim light conditions. The only bad thing with them, they still don't have taillights.
What he said. I'd prefer to turn on lights when I feel I need them and have my tail lights on as well.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Louisville Slugger.

Cant understand why headlights on with wipers isn't oem on all cars (with an option to over ride for those special occasions but defaults back upon restart). Here in NY it's mandatory but rarely enforced. It makes a big difference.

Peoples headlights flashing on and off would be really annoying. As people used them for a quick swipe here and there.

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
My 2 cents.
Living in Canada we must have DRLs, it's been law since the '90s. DRLs really make cars stand out.

Vehicles without DRLs are much harder to see, especially when they are approaching you on a 2 way highway. The combined delta of 220+km/hr and no DRls makes it much harder to decern just where that other car is positioned.

LED DRLs are just as good as other DRLs.
When you get some jerk with his highbeams on during the day it's almost as bad as when they have them on a night, it still blinds you.

The hardest colours to see are darker colours and light grey, those grey cars just plain dissapear.

To each their own, but I feel safer with my DRLs turned on and much prefer then other drivers also have their DRLs enabled.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We all have our opinions and theories on this topic - - that's wonderful. NHTSA couldn't find any tangible benefit of their use in the United States.

NHTSA said:
Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rulemaking. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps.
Just be glad you're not in Canada where you are not permitted to turn them off. I like that freedom of choice :)

WEC4104

TDI
-
Sure seems to me that driver's with DRL are more likely to forget to turn their "real" headlights on in the city. They see some light reflecting off the back of the car in front of them and assume their own headlights are on. If there is a lot of street light illumination, they never notice to turn their own lights on. Wonder how many accidents that has caused?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think I can see a car with DRLs a little better, but maybe not so much when everyone has thier lights on. If there is one with the lights on, I notice it. If they all have their lights on, well then it seems to become a little bit meaningless. Honestly, I kind of liked keeping it for motorcycles, which are clearly a little harder to see with their narrow front cross section.

In rain, fog, dim light, at the times of day with long shadows, and at night, of course lights on is great! Otherwise, I really think I can see cars coming at me in full daylight.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Vehicles without DRLs are much harder to see, especially when they are approaching you on a 2 way highway. The combined delta of 220+km/hr and no DRls makes it much harder to decern just where that other car is positioned.

I agree that DRLs work/are useful so my questioning of this has nothing to do with a disagreement there but more reality.

In this example what exactly are DRLs doing for you?

If this is a road where the limit is 110km/h it will most likely have a divider would it not?

If it does not have a divider what does the presence of a vehicle in the opposing lane really have to do with anything are you busting a left hand turn at 110km/h?

Or are you trying to make sure its an appropriate time to pass out behind the wheel and cross over into oncoming traffic?

I just have a hard time imagining a situation where seeing another car with this combined approach speed would be important in the real world.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
More importantly, why are new cars coming with DRLs and not with Deer Whistles!

Neither has been proven to be more or less effective than not having them, and neither is less effective than the other at reducing crashes. Deer Whistles are an important safety feature that have all of the scientific backing of a DRL, and yet in the USA they are not mandatory.

Maybe when Canada makes Deer Whistles required by law Americans will wake up and see the importance of them.

Deer Whistles save lives JUST LIKE DRLs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.