www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 1st, 2011, 16:04   #1
k_harley

Fuel Economy: Wicked good
Default DPF Emergency regeneration

So I have a 2009 Jetta CR that has a DPF light on.

I followed the instructions that ross-tech has to do an emergency regenration at idle with no luck.

I login to security acces with 12233 OK

When I try to enter 21295 into Coding II, it does not accept it

I can still go to basic settings and click on EGR, and it apears to do a re-gen for a minute or two, but the DPF light stays on.

Currently the car has a bad turbo actuator which was the reason the DPF problem came about. Was driven for 150 miles or so like this.

What I was able to do is throw another smart actuator on from a space turbo just to clear the code out at idle to rule out the problem of the bad actuator.....no difference.

Anyone else have luck with a re-gen?

I also called ross-tech, made sure my software was current, etc. etc. and they said the directions are a bit "generic" and couldnt really offer any better ideas.

Thanks!
Follow us on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/KMH-Mo...059254?fref=ts
k_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 16:22   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

in order to do a regen at idle, EGR needs to work so does the actuator, right air ratio and increased flow and yada yada yada, so if you're "tricking" the ECU that everythings fine, the DPF won't be fully regen.

As for the coding not sure, never forced one.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:20   #3
k_harley

I thought about this too, and I agree that the ecu wants to see the right conditions for the re-gen.

BUT.....how much exhuast temp does the turbo add at idle, or the 1300 rpm the forced re-gen happens at? Im thinking little to none. I wasnt watching the MAP sensor, but Id guess a working turbo only does like 1050mbar at 1300 rpms no load.
Follow us on facebook
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:20   #4
DanG144
Veteran Member

Your estimate seems about right.

On the earlier A5s (not Common Rail) I would see from 150 to 220 mbar increase at 1400 rpm at full boost over the minimum boost value. The minimum spec was an 80mbar difference.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 17:14   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

All i can go off is what people have said and what i've read from the self study. People have noticed at idle (1000rpms) their boost being higher when doing a regen. So the actuator/egrs must be doing something.

Can you read the ash load of the DPF? after a certain point you can't force it into a regen and if you've driven it a 2-300 miles after it needed a regen you might have porked it.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
Old November 3rd, 2011, 15:24   #6
maine09tdi

Just as an FYI, after fixing the turbo actuator (Thanks KMH) and driving the car like I stole it for 20 miles or so, the DPF cleared on it's own.

I had driven it probably ~300 miles with the light on before the turbo actuator was replaced but we couldn't see on VAG-COM the ash load. Those fields were blank, which was a little scary, but it all turned out good.

Thanks again to KMH for really getting creative and saving this owner a lot of cash over the dealer "Replace the whole turbo" philosophy. I definitely recommend them...
maine09tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 15:39   #7
k_harley

Cool, sometimes things do fix themselves....well with a little help....haha

I could NOT find much info on the forced re-gen and all the info I got from ross-tech on the topic were pretty unhelpfull. The instructions seemed good and made sense, but just did not match what was availble in the ecu on this particular car. Reminded me of the old days of 1Z engines and their really dumb ecu's.

Im going to guess that the '10 and up ecu's might be on track with what info is out there.

And yes, I did have to custom fabricate a smart actuator from a PD turbo for this car. NOT easy, but it paid off!
Follow us on facebook
Old November 3rd, 2011, 15:52   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

I have only ever done a manual regen on the CBEA while driving down the road, which is kind of a pain.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 16:05   #9
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_harley View Post
I thought about this too, and I agree that the ecu wants to see the right conditions for the re-gen.
It may require the car to be driven to create all the right conditions to force a manual regen to occur. You might be able to force a manual regen while road testing it like oilhammer did.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 16:11   #10
VarmintSlayer
Veteran Member

if i m not mistaken the egr need too work to regenerate the nox cat. My exhaust flapper has been out of commission for a long time, 2 years or so more or less.

Last edited by VarmintSlayer; November 3rd, 2011 at 16:14.
VarmintSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 18:06   #11
k_harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
It may require the car to be driven to create all the right conditions to force a manual regen to occur. You might be able to force a manual regen while road testing it like oilhammer did.

No, this was NOT an option. The output test for block 03 (EGR) was not available at crusing.
Follow us on facebook
Old November 4th, 2011, 13:40   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine09tdi View Post
Just as an FYI, after fixing the turbo actuator (Thanks KMH) and driving the car like I stole it for 20 miles or so, the DPF cleared on it's own.

I had driven it probably ~300 miles with the light on before the turbo actuator was replaced but we couldn't see on VAG-COM the ash load. Those fields were blank, which was a little scary, but it all turned out good.

Thanks again to KMH for really getting creative and saving this owner a lot of cash over the dealer "Replace the whole turbo" philosophy. I definitely recommend them...

there is a thread over in the emissions folder about gaining the DPF ash loads from VCDS.

Old November 4th, 2011, 14:55   #13
barshnik
Veteran Member

Had my DPF light come on recently for the first time ever - happened with 56k miles. It stayed on for a couple days of driving, then did what the user manual said (drive at least 15 minutes at >2000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear (mine is a DSG, so stayed in manual mode on the highway.) After exactly 15 minutes, the DPF warning went away, and I haven't seen it since (900 miles). Weird.

Like others with the '09, I don't seem to be able to see much good stuff in VCDS.
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 14:55   #14
barshnik
Veteran Member

Had my DPF light come on recently for the first time ever - happened with 56k miles. It stayed on for a couple days of driving, then did what the user manual said (drive at least 15 minutes at >2000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear (mine is a DSG, so stayed in manual mode on the highway.) After exactly 15 minutes, the DPF warning went away, and I haven't seen it since (900 miles). Weird.

Like others with the '09, I don't seem to be able to see much good stuff in VCDS.
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:39   #15
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 avrg, 46.5 best

VAGCOM has a few inputs for measuring DPF info. Maybe 5 or 6 that I know of. Everything from Oil Ash Volume, DPF Soot Load, Requested Regens, Temp Prior to DPF, etc.
Below is what I have for the Emergency Regen, BUT try making the car do it "naturally" by driving. 65 MPH, steady RPM's. Within about 15 miles or so the car will begin the regen process. Unless the DPF is really clogged or something else is wrong with the car.
To Activate a Regen
Select: 01 Engine
Coding-11
Enable regen by entering: 21295 ?????? CHECK WITH SOMEONE FIRST (is this for VW cars)
Measuring blocks 08
Select both groups at once- 070 and 075.
Go!
Regeneration should begin.
Start the driving cycle. 2nd person should be there to help/monitor the system data in VCDS.
THERE MIGHT BE NEWER INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS!!

If anyone has DPF data from VAGCOM, we are tracking it in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067

Approaching 69K miles without ever seeing the DPF light!