www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 31st, 2011, 16:35   #1
CrayZRyde

Fuel Economy: 45-50
Default I Have a Question for You! Tuning Module and Bigger injectors ok???

I just installed a ECS Tuning lightweight flywheel stage 1 clutch kit at 160,000mi

I had put a Diesel Power Digi Z little tuning box on my car and literally laid my clutch to rest withing 5,000 miles. But yes, i knew it was going to happen, i was waiting to order a heavier clutch and needed a reason to do it anyway.

My question now is.. Is it safe with this Digi Z tuning box to upgrade to bigger injectors now that my clutch can hold the extra power? From what i understand this tuning box dosnt advance the timing or anything, just adds more fuel, no overboost change either. I have a EGT and Boost gauge.

Can anyone give me some helpful insight in my next step foreward with my power quest?

I have a 2003 1.9 with the Digi Z tuning box,ECS tuning Stage 1 clutch kit, lightweight flywheel (claims good for up to 275hp) no cat/ and a thrush turbo exhaust glasspack in place of the muffler. K&N air filter in place of paper.

I'm thinking injectors.. But dont want to do any harm to my engine. Can anyone give me advice
Old October 31st, 2011, 17:01   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Not familiar with the tuning box, a lot of folks around here "chip tune" (ECU reflash) their cars instead of using tuning boxes. Typically a reflash changes more parementers than a box, resulting in better performance.

Adding larger injector nozzles should be fine, but since you may not know how much fuel your tuning box is requesting, you may want to get an EGT gauge to monitor exhaust gas temps. And a boost gauge wouldn't hurt, either. If you have a stock turbo 18 PSI is about the limit, and they're prone to spike to higher PSI when you add fuel. A boost valve can help if that's the case.

Regarding damage and wear, I've had remarkably good luck with my wagon. I've been running 26 PSI for the last 100K, 18 for 120K before that. So far, so good.
Old November 1st, 2011, 14:57   #3
memphis tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5

I have run pp520s and a Van Aaken and a Bullydog box with the pp520s at different times, both combos worked fine. I just switched to a stg 3 custom tune, it is very smooth and runs well, but makes less power than the pp520/box combo, it also smokes less.
memphis tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 16:11   #4
glitdi
Veteran Member

Your tuning box works by disrupting the signal to the injectors to open then for longer.
The settings on the side of the box dictate how long they remain open for, the more fuel the more boost, the more power etc.. The key is adjusting the box or boxes correctly too much fuel and the car will over boost and cause limp mode etc. This is the big drawback to a disruptor box, if you continue to hit limp mode from over-boosting you can buy another expensive box that fools the boost reading and then you get to play with the settings on that one as well.
Or perhaps a tune?

OCD Member #4
glitdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 16:58   #5
memphis tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5

I never had a problem with overboost or limp in mode with either box and I ran each box over 50,000mi.

Just stating my personal experience, not saying either a box or tunning is better thats up to the buyer.

Last edited by memphis tdi; November 1st, 2011 at 17:04.
memphis tdi is offline   Reply With Quote