www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 31st, 2011, 13:40   #1
neljoshua

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg hwy
Question Camshaft Sprocket Bolt Re-Torque?

About one month ago I did a TB change with tools and parts from metalmanparts.com (thanks a ton, btw!). I used the .pdf file here in the How-To section and torqued the bolt on the cam sprocket to 33 ft-lbs.

After reading an old posting today, however, I am starting to wonder if I should go in and re-torque it for peace of mind. I am not at all concerned that my timing is off or that anything else is wrong, but I do not want that sprocket to slip!!!

Here is the thread I was reading:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...et+bolt+torque

I will be more than happy to re-torque the bolt if it needs it, but I do not want to over-torque it, either.

Josh
neljoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 15:01   #2
dogdots

I torque alh cam pulleys to 40 ft lbs.
www.kansascitytdi.com

dogdots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 15:40   #3
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

The gist I got from stories of spun sprockets was that if it was going to slip it would do it sooner than later; this is one reason why the PDF has you bump the motor over and then check that everything remains in time at the end of the job. If the surfaces were cleaned I wouldn't worry about it. Although it's easy to get worried, on the other side of the coin is that Drivbiwire has successfully changed thousands of them at 33 ft lbs. I *think* Herm Pasker uses 33 ft-lbs if I remember correctly from the check sheet he included with an early TB change. And hey, even I've changed one and successfully used 33 ft-lbs.
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals

Last edited by eb2143; November 2nd, 2011 at 13:33.
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 14:40   #4
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: good/good/bad

I set my torque wrench to 35ft-lbs

The thread in that link is loaded with fail.
runonbeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:04   #5
neljoshua

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg hwy

Thanks for the info! I may torque it a little more during my next oil change, but I am not worried. I did not want to be in a situation where it is *supposed* to be 40 ft-lbs and I only did 33 ft-lbs.

Josh
neljoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 13:41   #6
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I think if you ensure that the inside of the cam sprocket is as clean as you can reasonably get it, and the nose of the camshaft equally as clean, the surfaces will mate well and not slip at the stated torque. Bare steel on bare steel pressed together - they get a little sticky.

In an online forum such as this, it is nearly impossible to tell if someone had one that slipped and it was not at all from dirt, grease, and/or oil on the mating surfaces, torque wrenches that are out of spec, or who knows what other detail the story teller didn't notice or couldn't determine.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 20:03   #7
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

Here is some additional reading for those who are scratching their heads on this one. As Powder Hound said, being clean is important and is stressed in the two links below.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=218960&page=2 scroll down to post #23 by Franko6.

Also, this link has a good write-up with reference to the above link.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...que-spec-1048/

The link in the initial post to this Thread is to a Post I made back over two years ago. I've since torqued several Camshafts at 40 lbs with no problems.
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote