www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:20   #1
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Default 02M Installation

I just got the 02M kit and am trying to upgrade from 02J. In the past I had a transmission jack but I had to bench press the 02J back in due to the need to rotate etc even after removing output drivers. Now I see the 02M is heavier than the 02J. As I said I have a trans jack but it is not that good when needing to rotate tranmission into position and then it is just in the way. Does anybody have a good trick for getting the 02M into position?
2008 A6 BPP 267kmh also 283kmh 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 188BHP - 365 lbft, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo
eddie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:32   #2
VWDAVID
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf tdi
Fuel Economy: 900mpg

Pull the engine as forward as you can once the dog bone and rear trans mount are out. I bench the 02ms in the same way but they are alot heavier. Put the differential side up in the hole first is how I do them. It also helps to remove the axle flange next to the bell housing its makes life easier. Drain the fluid first so you dont take a bath in it.
VWDAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:56   #3
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip.
2008 A6 BPP 267kmh also 283kmh 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 188BHP - 365 lbft, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:31   #4
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Last time I did one, the car was on a 2 post lift at head height and it took three of us (two of them were the mechanics) to accurately pick-up and wobble the gearbox into place. I would hate to have to do something like that solo.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:39   #5
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Thanks! You are right. I think ideally you need 2 people to bench press the thing (at least my with my upper body strength :-)) and a third to pop the bolt in. Unfortunately there are no tdiclub folks around here and I still dont know the golf4.de guys too well.
Old October 31st, 2011, 14:06   #6
devonutopia
Veteran Member

ah yes, looking back I do think three people lifted it initially, then once at shoulder height the guy doing the main mechanical work took a role of wobbling and getting bolts in. From what I remember, it wasn't easy even for two of us to keep the 02M box supported. It weighs an absolute ton!
Old October 31st, 2011, 15:18   #7
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Ed, I've got it.

Build yourself a Herm-o-hanger for the transmission!

My first TB change I built myself a Herm-o-hanger for the motor because I only had one jack. It worked like a charm for holding the whole motor up, so I'm sure it would work for installing a transmission.

I can't find a picture of the herm-o-hanger, because Herm built it so long ago. But it's quite simple... just buy a 2x6 and a 4x4 crossbeam to make a engine hoist out of. Drill a hole where the transmission needs to be lifted and install all-thread, washers, and bolts. All you need to do to raise the transmission is tighten the bolt on top of your new hoist. The hoist rests securely on the part of the front fenders that bolt to the frame. So, it will take the weight rather safely.

Now install some kind of safe bolt and hook at the end of your all-thread that can hold the weight of the transmission and can turn without falling off the end of the thread. Tie some strong nylon straps around the bottom of your transmission, and start turning the nut at the top of the hoist you built to raise up the transmission.

Alternatively, I may have seen a metal engine hoist in your garage in NY? If you still have that, perhaps you can use it to help you get the transmission up into place?

Best,

Mike

manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 15:20   #8
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

AHA, Aaron (Growler) has a longitudinal herm-o-hanger that seems to work pretty well for him. Perhaps you can rig up something like this to help you out?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297043
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 19:42   #9
JBE

I used a method similar to what MT is describing, but with a Harbor Freight engine support. I dropped a chain from the support to one of the bolt holes on the top of the transmission, toward the rear. I used a floor jack under the trans to support most of the weight, and cranked up on the threaded hook on the engine support. This pulled the rear of the trans up so it was pointed vertically. With a combination of lifting with the chain and the jack it rotated right in to place, no bench pressing required. Piece of cake, didn't even need to remove the output flanges.
JBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 21:55   #10
KanPanic

TDI(s): 03 Golf

I did it by myself. I used a floor jack, a couple of ratcheting straps, and a harbor freight engine support beam. Hardest part was getting the old 01M into the back of my truck to ship out.

86 TLC BJ70 35's Geared OME'ed ARB'ed
KanPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 00:37   #11
devonutopia
Veteran Member

A handy tool which helped with lowering the 02M, but refitting needed people to lift it due to being a bit awkward.

Old November 1st, 2011, 03:37   #12
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Thanks VWDAVID, MT, JBE, hunter, KanPanic and Devon for your responses. I think JBE's comments hit the bulls eye. Others also alluded to this approach. I have the harbor freight beam and various jacks. I have always had the HB beam across engine bay on clutch jobs, so no prob there. I think the key as JBE pointed out is the combo of the jack and the chain from above. I had thought of the suspending from top method and the jack method, but they wont work on their own. The combo is needed to get the additional degrees of freedom i.e. the rotate rear vertically through the opening and then rotate back down to get in position. JBE's experience of not even removing flanges is remarkable, given every guru says you need to remove them, although I prob will remove them just in case (at least the pass side one). thanks! ~ed

Last edited by eddie_1; November 1st, 2011 at 04:37.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:28   #13
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

I use a motorcycle or low pro transmission jack to put 02m's in. Remove the drive flanges. The key is to stand it straight up on end as others have said. Once it's up in the "hole", turn it 90* and one or two people should be able to jiggle it onto the motor. Works like a charm every time. No heavy benching, minimal french, and quick.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 13:50   #14
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Well I got the job done. I got 3000rpm at 180kmh in 6th on the Autobahn today. :-)

Was a pretty brutal job though to do alone, at least for me. Managed to drop the diff output flange on my face and needed stitches in eye brow area. :-)

Thanks for all the tips, especially Boetje. He gives detailed instructions that are spot on. This forum has phenomenal people. Thanks to Ryan for getting the 02M DRW to the common man and for his advice too.

I ended up using the tranny jack and a simple winch from above. Winch suspended from Harbor Freight Engine Support. Basically I had the tranny strapped in regular horizontal orientation and winched up slowly, until just below subframe. At that point used the jack and some elbow grease to rotate and get it over subframe. After that the thing begins to fall into place as you winch some more. Just remember to put the pass side diff flange back in the last stages so that it will meet the drive axle head to head. For driver side i left flange in but had to remove control arm and sway bar link to put in the other axle.

I used the old clutch line, bent it around the tranny mount and used bolt stud on mount to make an Al strap holder. For the Power steering there is bolt receiver on the side of the tran near side skirt to secure another holder. Used a stand off there. Then used the old holder below starter motor. Both together hold power steering line pretty good. Once I bent the clutch line around the mount it pretty much lines up with the clutch slave entrance without rubbing anything else.

Dieselgeek has a video procedure for calibrating the shifter cables.

Well I was relieved to get everything done and test drive it to see it is doing what it was supposed to. lol.

The only thing I notice is the shifting is a bit rougher/notchy than the 02J. You sort of feel as if the the synchro rings going in. I put in 2.4 litre of the g 052 171 a2 fluid. Not sure if this shifting is normal or I have the wrong amount of fluid. Can too much be bad too? I noticed the shifter weight and shift distance on top of tranny is smaller, maybe that makes it more work?

The car feels a bit different with additional weight. 02M defintely gives different character to car for sure.

Last edited by eddie_1; February 25th, 2013 at 01:47.
Old November 28th, 2011, 16:32   #15
boertje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_1 View Post
Well I got the job done. I got 3000rpm at 180kmh in 6th on the Autobahn today. :-)

Was a pretty brutal job though to do alone, at least for me. Managed to drop the diff output flange on my face and needed stitches in eye brow area. :-)

Thanks for all the tips, especially Boertje. He gives detailed instructions that are spot on. This forum has phenomenal people. Thanks to Ryan for getting the 02M DRW to the common man and for his advice too.

I ended up using the tranny jack and a simple winch from above. Winch suspended from Harbor Freight Engine Support. Basically I had the tranny strapped in regular horizontal orientation and winched up slowly, until just below subframe. At that point used the jack and some elbow grease to rotate and get it over subframe. After that the thing begins to fall into place as you winch some more. Just remember to put the pass side diff flange back in the last stages so that it will meet the drive axle head to head. For driver side i left flange in but had to remove control arm and sway bar link to put in the other axle.

I used the old clutch line, bent it around the tranny mount and used bolt stud on mount to make an Al strap holder. For the Power steering there is bolt receiver on the side of the tran near side skirt to secure another holder. Used a stand off there. Then used the old holder below starter motor. Both together hold power steering line pretty good. Once I bent the clutch line around the mount it pretty much lines up with the clutch slave entrance without rubbing anything else.
Exactly!

Dieselgeek has a video procedure for calibrating the shifter cables.

Well I was relieved to get everything done and test drive it to see it is doing what it was supposed to. lol.

The only thing I notice is the shifting is a bit rougher/notchy than the 02J. You sort of feel as if the the synchro rings going in. I put in 2.4 litre of the g 052 171 a2 fluid. Not sure if this shifting is normal or I have the wrong amount of fluid. Can too much be bad too? I noticed the shifter weight and shift distance on top of tranny is smaller, maybe that makes it more work?

I think I put in a little more than you did since my car was on jack stands. I don't think you have too much.
I found the shifting better than the 5 speed that I had in my bug.

The car feels a bit different with additional weight. 02M defintely gives different character to car for sure.
Eddie
Glad you got it finished. What, no pics of the stitches?
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote