www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 30th, 2011, 16:58   #1
n9lhm

Default door switch location

2002 Jetta, dome light only comes on intermittently when driver's door is opened, and never when passenger door is opened, and door ajar warning does not illuminate. When either back door is opened, dome light comes on and door ajar is displayed on the dash. Where is the door open sense switch for the front doors located? Any suggestions on how to access it easiest? Or does anyone have any experience with this symptom being something else? (I did see the thread about broken wires in the flex boot in the door jamb)

Brian
n9lhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 18:56   #2
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Search yea the "$3 door fix" thread... it's about a hundred pages long and has great pictures, discussion, etc.
2001 blue TDI Jetta, Malone Stage 3. Grrrr baby... very grrrrrrr!
1970 Bay Window bus... not so grrrrr
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:01   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9lhm View Post
... Where is the door open sense switch for the front doors located? Any suggestions on how to access it easiest? ...
The referenced thread is very good. It should point you to a couple of threads on this problem (on vwvortex, no less), with lots of discussion on different sets of symptoms and what to do to fix them.

In short, the switches you need are in a latch mechanism buried inside the door. There's 4 switches, but the upside is that most of the time, it is bad solder joints rather than switches going bad, that cause most of the problems encountered.

Good luck, and hopefully you won't have to buy anything unless you don't already have a soldering iron.

Cheers,

PH
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 13:18   #4
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
but the upside is that most of the time, it is bad solder joints rather than switches going bad, that cause most of the problems encountered.
I dunno Eric, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of failures are the switch itself. The little plastic nub that the door cam rotates against is basically a miniature version of the Whac-A-Mole game and it just can't hold up in the long term.

But you're right there is a solder joint problem on the circuit board in the lock module, but I only hear it being an issue infrequently compared to the switch.

If the OP doesn't feel like reading a mountain, here's a printable HOW_TO I put together, mostly with existing information:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=379

PS: Salisbury! Good to see the wheel bearing tools moving closer for the next time one goes!!
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 13:06   #5
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

True that the switch itself can fail. I am not going to claim I know about all the failures and how many are due to switch failures or just solder joints. There are 4 switches inside the module, and hopefully visual examination will tell whether a switch is dead or that intermittent problem is a flaky solder fracture. Mine so far have all been solder fractures.

Yeah, I'm probably 10 miles closer to New London than previously. But while I can work where the cars are parked now, I still don't have a garage, so ...

Good thing coming from that direction (north) is that a GPS will work. They don't have my address correctly mapped, so if you are coming from the south, you will be led onto a virtually impassable road. Sometimes new technology isn't quite everything it is supposed to be!
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:47   #6
n9lhm

Thanks for the replies, I do electronic repair for a living so replacing the switch is not a problem. Just curious -- what actuates the switch mechanically? Something has to sense whether the door is touching the door jamb or not -- it's not a door lock sensor, per se..........
n9lhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:14   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

There's levers and other moving parts in the latch/lock mechanism that actuate the switches. You are correct in that the switch itself isn't hitting the door jamb. Some engineer had to think about that mechanism for a while.