www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 17th, 2011, 16:44   #1
MY1STVW

Default Leaking Diesel Fuel from bottom of fuel filter housing

Does anyone know why I'm leaking diesel fuel from the bottom of my fuel filter. I remove my belly pan and noticed fuel on the pan. Removed the top engine cover and felt the bottom of the fuel filter and it was wet. Is this the drain port on the bottom leaking??
2004 Passat GLS Wagon TDI Reflex Silver, Gray Leather w/wood, Cold Weather, ESP, 6-Disk CD Changer, Stainless Steel Glow Plug Recall, Balance Shaft Module Upgrade "Chain-less at last thank you Oilhammer for saving another Passat TDI"
MY1STVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 16:53   #2
DickSilver
Veteran Member

The drain port loosens by unscrewing it, so try tightening. It has normal right-hand threads, but it is the devil to get at when the filter is in the car. Don't get murderous while twisting it: it is just nylon or some other plastic.

If it still drips, buy a new filter & install. There is a how-to thread if you need it.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 17:51   #3
MY1STVW

Okay I found the leak with your help DickSilver. The center dimple in the white plastic cap on the bottom of the fuel filter housing is cracked. I tighten the white plastic cap just a bit with my fingers and had someone key on the ignition to energize the fuel pump and found the leak in the cap itself. Does this white cap come with a new filter or do I have to order a new cap?
2004 Passat GLS Wagon TDI Reflex Silver, Gray Leather w/wood, Cold Weather, ESP, 6-Disk CD Changer, Stainless Steel Glow Plug Recall, Balance Shaft Module Upgrade "Chain-less at last thank you Oilhammer for saving another Passat TDI"
MY1STVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 18:16   #4
owr084
Veteran Member

The "white cap" is the drain valve to remove water from the filter. To be honest, I have never needed to use it. A new filter has a new drain valve.
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:40   #5
abctdi
Veteran Member

New filter every 20k miles...
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra, premature cam wear? now driven only once or twice a week
2012 Kia Optima SX turbo, 274 hp, 269 ft-lb @ 1750-4500 rpm, corsa blue, new daily driver
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:52   #6
Honeydew
Veteran Member

This past weekend a local member told me about his recent experience with the same issue. He surmised he had previously tightened the drain to much because he took the drain off and found the sealing o-ring split. Since the filter was relatively new he replaced the o-ring which fixed the leaking drain.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 18:32   #7
auntulna
Veteran Member

This just happened to me too, last week. Dripping from the bottom even though the valve was tight. It was a Mehl, replaced it with a Hengst. Go Hengst!
auntulna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 18:51   #8
DickSilver
Veteran Member

I would be just as happy if there was an optional filter with NO drain valve. There is almost no water in our fuel anymore anyway. Changing the fuel filter every 40K (20K seems anal-retentive to me) has always been good enough; never opened any drain valve.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 20:33   #9
abctdi
Veteran Member

Why not double the maintenance period on every part then?
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra, premature cam wear? now driven only once or twice a week
2012 Kia Optima SX turbo, 274 hp, 269 ft-lb @ 1750-4500 rpm, corsa blue, new daily driver
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:51   #10
Alchemy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: More than most in the world...

Dirt is the issue.

I have had three instances where a dirty fuel filter has caused a stumbling problem, once it was so bad the car went into limp mode. Each time, changing the filter made the issue go away (Confirmed on the old filters each time that there was no water in the filter). I drive 25k miles per year and replace the filter every November before the cold weather hits and I always keep one on the shelf in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSilver View Post
I would be just as happy if there was an optional filter with NO drain valve. There is almost no water in our fuel anymore anyway. Changing the fuel filter every 40K (20K seems anal-retentive to me) has always been good enough; never opened any drain valve.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:05   #11
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

White drain valve has normal metric threads. Get a bolt that fits and an oring and replace it.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote