What do the dash lights mean?

degree_tdi

TDI
00 TDI
I tried searching but could not find this.

I was test driving a 2006 Jetta TDI (5 spd manual) and there is a green dash light in the shape of a light that is on...while driving and stopped. Seller claims that it may be because of an unidentified bulb failure...I was wondering if anyone else could confirm this or tell me what this is for?

I was also wondering if the 06 Jetta's (this one has leather, sunroof, everything) had rain sensing wipers and if they have automatic lights or if it is always controller by that switch inside?

Anyone have a diagram of the dash lights and there meanings?

Cheers

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I believe that is the bulb out light. (A bulb may actually not be completely out to trigger the light, BTW.)

There's a page in the manual that shows all the indicator lights and what they mean.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Are you sure it's not the cruise control light? The bulb-out light on my car is orange.
My cruise light is green and says "CRUISE", so I don't think that's it.

Although my full MFD does say "Bulb malfunction" when the bulb out light is on, and yeah you are right - mine is orange.

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would add that the OP is in Canada and as such, the dash lights are most likely pictures rather than words. I would expect a bulb-out light to be amber rather than green. My guess, it means the DRLs are on and working. My Jetta has DRL in green when the headlights are off and the daytime running lights are on so a picture of a light bulb in green makes sense for you up North.

As for the rain sensing wipers...possibly on the top of the line. Not sure what Canada had for trim levels but my Pkg 1 has the leatherette seating with a sunroof. If your seats have small holes in the fabric, then its leatherette...at least that's what I've read. I think a Pkg 2 may have auto headlights and rain sensing wipers...but I'm not sure.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
I tried searching but could not find this.

I was test driving a 2006 Jetta TDI (5 spd manual) and there is a green dash light in the shape of a light that is on...while driving and stopped. Seller claims that it may be because of an unidentified bulb failure...I was wondering if anyone else could confirm this or tell me what this is for?

I was also wondering if the 06 Jetta's (this one has leather, sunroof, everything) had rain sensing wipers and if they have automatic lights or if it is always controller by that switch inside?

Anyone have a diagram of the dash lights and there meanings?

Cheers
it's a day time running light (DRL) indicator...

degree_tdi

TDI
00 TDI
So if it is the DRL indicator, is it always on when the DRL are on? What's the point of this?

The owner said it's probably a bulb failure which means that it hasn't always been on....could this be a problem?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...uhhh...if the "owner" doesn't know what it is, I'd find another owner/seller...

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
The DRL light probably hasn't always been on; when one switches the headlights on, the DRL light goes out (one must assume that the headlights have been on at least once). If the seller doesn't know that, he knows little about the car...

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
turn your lights on, knob on the left.. one click to the right. your dash lights and climate controls will light up red and blue and the green light icon will go out. its for your daytime running lights and i dont know what the purpose is, its stupid to me.

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
The DRL light probably hasn't always been on; when one switches the headlights on, the DRL light goes out (one must assume that the headlights have been on at least once). If the seller doesn't know that, he knows little about the car...
lol sorry for that.. we were posting at the same time, well u had me beat by 3 mins. guess im a slow typer lol