www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 6th, 2011, 14:07   #1
dzldoctor

Default Trunk will not open

The trunk will not release on the 02 jetta. I can hear the actuator move,but the trunk wont open. Dont open with the key or the fob. What to do? I can hear it move with the key also,but won't open.
dzldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 15:11   #2
akafred
Veteran Member

probably have to drop the rear seats down and climb in there..
akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 15:18   #3
Strykeviper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '01 33-39; '00 40-53

Theres a plastic piece that the actuator pushes to release the trunk. Most likely it has broken, which is very common.

There are some places that sell kits to fix it for around $40. I fixed it on both of my jettas with JB Weld

'00 Jetta TDI, 157k, Atlas skid plate, 3 Pedal Mod, DG short shifter
'01 Jetta TDI, auto, 151k, Atlas skid plate
Strykeviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 16:49   #4
sambagis

Yep, agreed the plastic piece has broken and you will have to climb in through the back seats. Bring a Philips head screw driver and a flashlight with you. There are 10 or 12 screws holding the backing of the trunk plate on around the outside edge, hard to see. Take those out and you should be able to access the mechanism that holds the trunk shut. Open the trunk and do your fixes from the outside looking in . Have had to do this myself on two cars. Good luck
sambagis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 20:32   #5
Strykeviper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '01 33-39; '00 40-53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
Theres a plastic piece that the actuator pushes to release the trunk. Most likely it has broken, which is very common.

There are some places that sell kits to fix it for around $40. I fixed it on both of my jettas with JB Weld
I went to open the trunk on my 2000 and it broke again, FML...

'00 Jetta TDI, 157k, Atlas skid plate, 3 Pedal Mod, DG short shifter
'01 Jetta TDI, auto, 151k, Atlas skid plate
Strykeviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:32   #6
verylongdrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf,2001
Fuel Economy: 43/46/50

My recent experience in this may not matter much, depending on how similar the Jetta and Golf lock mechanisms are. (The Golf mechanism is akin to trying to push a door open by pushing against 3 people standing loosely shoulder to shoulder, with the middle one normally turned slightly askew but temporarily straightened by the electrical actuator. If he doesn't quite turn straight, your shove doesn't reach the door.)
Look at pictures first, and if it's not similar, never mind this.

I've never had anything break on my Golf, but it jammed up for the second time recently.
At first, it would sometimes refuse to open, but after another drive or so (or just waiting for the actuator to reset, and trying again) it often would.
Eventually it stopped workign altogether, and even more eventually, I started to look into it.
I climbed into the trunk, and sprayed some cheap electrical contact cleaner (the least messy creeping cleaner or lubricant I have) with the little red tube between trunk molding and lid molding, trying to aim it upward towards the inner lock mechanism.
I forget if any of it got up in there or if it was merely the cleaning of the latch that let the marginal mechanism move a little easier, but it opned immediately, and it was very obvious that gummed-up or lacking lubrication in the parts moved by the actuator and nearby were the problem.
I cleaned and lubricated both that and the latch, and identified the point of the linkage nearest the latch that will open the trunk for sure, if one just pushes it hard enough.

Then I measured out the location of that spot on the trunk lid trim panel, and drilled a finger-sized hole into the panel. Next time it sticks, all I have to do (if the single working folding seat release doesn't pack in by then) is climb in and stick my finger through the hole and push sideways.

I've been meaning to post the precise measurement for that hole (a few inches from the bottom, and slightly to the driver's side), since even when it's too late and the lid is utterly stuck, this surgery from inside the trunk is easy (easier with a Forstner or other large drill bit, but OK with a smaller bit and a knife) and works regardless of specific defect.

Something similar might work on the Jetta.
verylongdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:38   #7
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

be sure you give the trunk lid a good push and jiggle, they can seal pretty snug when not opened for a while
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:29   #8
dzldoctor

Yep again you guys are right on. Crawled through the back seats and removed cover. The little linkage/plastic lever broke. Where to purchase a new one?
Old October 7th, 2011, 13:07   #9
dzldoctor

Found the kit JETTATRUNK.com
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:36   #10
ChrisT

Gotta love a permanent fix for LESS money than the part from the dealer that will break again! Many thanks!
ChrisT is offline   Reply With Quote