www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 30th, 2011, 12:12   #1
marshalldanielp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39.13 on first tank
Default New wheel bearing play?

Got the new bearing in. Then put the hub on. Prior to replacing axle bolt and control arm the hub seemed to have quite a bit of play, it wobbled. Axle nut and control arm replaced hub was tight and noise went away. Is this play normal?

Thanks,
Dan
marshalldanielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:17   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Yes totally, there's two bearings in the one shell and when you crank up the centre bolt it clamps the centres together which tightens the whole thing up.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 18:29   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Yeah, the axle nut clamps the bearing together with the CV joint on the inside and the nut on the outside. That's why the manual says not to put weight on the axle without the axle nut being properly tightened - if the bearing was loose and had the full weight of the car on it, it might peen the races in untoward places and ruin the bearing.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 19:21   #4
marshalldanielp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39.13 on first tank

Thanks guys. Appreciate it I was a little nervous. It was on my bil car and it was late last night so we just put it back together and it tighend up. Started mine tonight and those bearings are a pita. I got the driver side out and the new bearing in, cut the race off the hub. I think they are the original bearings, 212k and they are trashed. Back to work on it tomorrow. Thanks again.
marshalldanielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 19:27   #5
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

The bearings are ok but easier to deal with if you have some welders gauntlets and a really big hammer lol Best to press them in though even a big vice can do it if nothing else.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 22:39   #6
chewyboy

TDI(s): '00 NB TDI

Actually be careful with the whole "they should have some play" theory. Like i dummy i went with timkin a while back thinking they were still made in the us. They were not. Pressed them in, put them on the car torqued them down and grabbed the tire at 12/6. it had about 3/4" of play. Went over everything i did it was pressed in correctly. Removed the hub put it on the arbor press and put the full force of it down on the bearing as it should either blow it out or lock it up tight. neither happened, it was still flopping around horribly. Finally pulled the 2 out i did, took them back got replacements, refunds were no go, and since i was not going to do that again i took the timkins i got and decided to try something out with the new ones. I had a shaft i could put in the bearing while i pressed it in. again back to the press, pressed along the outer race when goning in the hub, pressed on the inner race when going into the outer hub. the new ones were just as bad, and i will never buy timkins again. pressed them out when i got the fag's, pressed the fags in and have not had any trouble since.

cliffs: sometimes you do get bad bearings and they flop around after being pressed in.
chewyboy is offline   Reply With Quote