www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 19:09   #1
WelderTeacher

Angry 05 Passat Trans code 0741

About a month ago I purchased a used 2005 Passat with 106,000 miles. Within 200 miles I had the fault code 0741 come up twice. The dealer took it to local VW/Audi Tech and had him check the codes and service the tranny. Well here we are a few weeks later and the code has appeared again. The dealership is reluctant to deal with me on this and is suggesting it be serviced again, am I looking at a new trans or a torque converter?

Thanks
WelderTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 20:51   #2
s4phillips
Veteran Member

Location: Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific Northwet

If it hasn't been driven a lot with a bad torque converter, you probably just need a new torque converter.
2003 DL1000K3
s4phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 22:09   #3
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Wow, another one...this is getting all too common.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:00   #4
afarfalla
Veteran Member

I believe your TC is toast, a few other things you may want to consider...have these been changed or performed...BS module, alt pulley, glo plug mod, brake light switch, timing belt, water pump, tensioners, what oil was used at oil changes (505.1)?, how is the cam...what did I miss? Did you check this site before you bought it? If you didn't it could get expensive
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:01   #5
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Converters are available from your dealer or Erickson in CT. Honestly it is hit or miss with Erickson. However the price is 1/2 of what you would spend on OEM. You will also need to drop the pan again and replace the fluid and filter (this is a precaution). Honestly, you will probably eventually need a whole unit anyway.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:03   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
I believe your TC is toast, a few other things you may want to consider...have these been changed or performed...BS module, alt pulley, glo plug mod, brake light switch, timing belt, water pump, tensioners, what oil was used at oil changes (505.1)?, how is the cam...what did I miss? Did you check this site before you bought it? If you didn't it could get expensive
Motor mounts, plenum chamber re-seal, sunroof drain fix, ground cable by turbo hose tie off, etc.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52   #7
MacVWTDI

My wife's B5 with 180K is throwing the 0741 code also.
It just recently started actually showing symptoms of TC failure though I think.
Doesn't always lock up in reverse - revs and then jumps into reverse hard;
Rough downshifting at times.
She stopped at a light this morning and went to go again and it balked completely.
Am I looking at a full tranny rebuild?
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:34   #8
thundershorts
Veteran Member

could be a trans failure, but low fluid will show same symptoms. however unless trans is topped up immediately, damage will occur. Drum and clutch D will affect reverse as you describe.