Ben Dur has a build thread

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
I figured that it was probably long overdue for me to put up some pictures of my Golf.

a turn of events has expedited my plans to fit a larger turbo and pursue greater power.

the car
a 2000 golf GL TDI
complete with manual everything, crank windows, no sunroof, 2 doors etc
also bone stock including the snowscreen in the intake snorkel

Oct 2009 purchased the car used from the stealer

pictured here is my car and my dad.

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
when i purchased the car it had around 160k miles, id confirm that but it doesnt matter too much and thats how i remember it so thats the info you get:p

i spent the next few months driving to and from school and work, replacing various odds and ends. tires, shift boot, headlights etc, basically sorting out the loose ends.

it wasnt for over a year that i started modifying anything. along the way i have done at least a few things i regret mildly, but nothing unreleasable.

here it is staying clean

in this picture you can see to the far right that it is fitted with some annoying and irrelevant cone filter that no longer exists. it has been lost in a hondafire (i gave it away to a friend who had the inducer side of his turbo open to the environment when i reinstalled my stock airbox, only months before his car suffered a non-engine related fire all parties were unharmed)

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
somewhere along the way i traded up to some alloys wheels (a fine set of OEM 16" 'Montreal' which happen to be some of the lightest vw wheels available if memory serves they were around 16.5 before i "refinished" them

never try to polish painted OE wheels... you will hate yourself

aswell as completely r&r the suspension and throwing in some "Rokkor" coil overs, which in retrospect is money that should have just gone into a set of bilstien sports and good springs.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
and replaced the broken tails with these LED tail lights, which are borderline 'gaudy' in my opinion but they are THE brightest, most visible tail lights i have seen on any mk4 so i like them

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
now as decent as the paint looks in most of these images it had many flaws. the clear was chipping in places and the front bumper (which turns out was not OEM) was straight flaking off

so in my persuet of an OEM bumper, and knowing id need to paint it i ended up purchasing a jetta front end. all OEM. and began the long process of painting the car.

it was stripped to bare metal in most places in an effort to remove corrosion, which was not cancerous but existent in many places. mostly rock-chips along the roof and fenders that had spread beneath the paint:confused:

the prep and paint was performed by myself, which could mean it is "sub-par", however i believe otherwise. given the fact that the amount of work i performed would have meant a $2000 paintjob would be complete garbage. one shop quoted me $3000 for "repaint" without going into the precancer, i assume it would have been scuff and spray

my appologies for the cellphone picture, the DSLR has been loaned to a friend and photography student trying to decide on what to buy. i may never get it back, but that was the risk i took when i offered it to help.

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i pickedwhat i thought would be a darker barn red which turned out to be about as red as red gets

im ok with that

at night and wet

at night and dry (heres a good shot of the tail lights and plate lights)

glass out, jaming, and new windshield

could still use some more polish

leaving the "paint booth" for the last time... although not after getting painted

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
a recent explosion has given me reason to replace my turbocharger...
after some shuffling of money i put together the funds to upgrade to a VNT17/22

along with all of this

sbc 2 endurance with SMF

3" DP from Kerma... i must say this is a beautiful system almost to nice to bolt to the car.

Kerma OMI another beautiful piece

Godspeed SMIC another beautiful part, havnt read much on this side mount but im giving it a shot... the price is right as a replacement/mild upgrade as i was just too worried to install the shotgun blasted OE

did some work on this bad boy... cleaned it up and painted it (cleaning it was rediculous...)

and just for kicks
ACCESS DENIED

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Nice progression. I like that color, and you pull off the Jetta front end well.

Crazy paint job on the trans - it looks great! Is the block going to match?

Please keep this thread updated as parts are installed.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Wow I have never seen the Golf+Jetta front end. I think it looks awesome on that 2-door. Great build. I'm jealous of all of your new goodies.

I'd love to see more pics at a similar angle as your picture of the car in primer.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i believe its called a JEDI
:D
now i just need to spice "JETTA" and "TDI" badges

Last edited:

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
how do you like the OMI, i am still waiting to make that purchase. also curious how the 17/22 and 3" went? i am looking into all of that. also Clutch, Like it, Love it, Hate it? sorry for so many questions...Keep on with the great build!

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
the OMI, 1722, 3" turbo back, and clutch all work great!

the OMI was a slight pain to fit honestly. I could NOT fit it with my stock ASV, although my ASV had been disabled. It was a matter of punching out the flapper, removing the actuator, threading the holes, and plugging them with bolts. Its possible i gave up, but to me that was just an excuse for a slight upgrade.

as for the 3" DP, i can only comment on its fitment and sound. Im still running Malone stage 2, which doesnt even max out the VNT15. Further i do not have an EGT gauge or Boost gauge at the moment (on the list)... that being said the fitment was pretty straight forward, the quality was top notch, and the sound is excellent. only 1 DP nut gave me a hard time, and it went on just fine with a little yoga.

The clutch is absolutely a dream. i can tell it really grabs. At the same time, it is smooth and the pedal is honestly about the same as stock. The 20lb Flywheel does chatter slightly, which im perfectly fine with as i actually considered having it lightened before install. Its nothing obnoxious, just a slight whine. Took about 2 stoplights to be familiar with it. truely OEM PLUS.

Honestly the OMI, turbo, exhaust, and new lines was as straight forward as removing the old and installing the new. although the new lower intercooler pipe may have helped smooth that portion a tad.

all in all the car is quite smooth and comfortable, and possible a bit quicker than before.

sorry such a lengthy post.

Last edited:

Joshua

TDI
ALH
I loved this car when you came to pick up the jetta front end. Definitely liking where it's been taken! Getting your tune sorted for the new parts should net you a lot more power and economy (if you can keep your right foot tamed).

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Hey Josh! Yeah, I never did send you a new picture after i threw in the towel on the blue... Red (as long as its not oxidized and pink) is much easier to make "work."

getting all the money together to finish up these mods is the real killer.
Currently im saving for injectors, VCDS, a tune (a flash tuner as well?), and the gauges you warned me about nearly a year ago (the light bulb finally went off in my head:eek:)...
i have a list going somewhere around here of everything i'm planning(dreaming) to order. Unfortunately, the $prices$ add up quickly.

Im trying to get all that at the same time, to get the most out of the injectors and tune (while keeping everything safe).

Im planning on r520's from DrivBiWire and TDTuning 25psi tune. With a 10mm pump i dont think ill be fueling to heavily. With VCDS and gauges ill be better equipped to give the tuner some feedback (logs) and get a better tune.

Nothing ground breaking going on in my thread. Just hoping to optimize my setup. (the dime a dozen 17/22 setup that is)