www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 17th, 2011, 08:09   #1
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Default How much $$$ to change glow plugs and harness 2002 Jetta?

Just want to know ball park $$ parts and labor to change out 4 glow plugs with new and a new harness on a 2002 Jetta.

1. Dealer
2. Guru

Thanks!
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:38   #2
kenmaira
Veteran Member

If everything is at it was, you're better off doing it yourself, the 02 has the 4 wire harness, which (if they cut off the plug) is gonna be annoying to fix, if not it's a plug and play deal. For glow plugs you're probably better off going to a local Auto parts store, they generally carry em for around 15 dollars a piece, the glow plug harness usually costs around 65$

Dealer, I would assume they charge around 200$ total, and as for guru I have no idea.

Good luck!

-Dave
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:17   #3
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

#2 will determine if you need new parts or not.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:59   #4
1854sailor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great!

Glow plugs are what I was Googling when I discovered these forums. Dealer wanted $500 to do the job on the Golf, and that was 2004. Found the how-to here, and did it myself for around $135.00.
Old September 17th, 2011, 13:03   #5
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

We've heard of dealerships charging as much as $800 for this...

4 Bosch / Beru ALH glow plugs from one of the online suppliers here: ~$45 - $50
4-wire ALH harness: ~$60 - $65

Should take between less than an hour (if you splice the harness) to about 90 - 120 minutes (if you run the wire back to the connector near the brake booster)... unless one of the glow plugs breaks or has stripped threads...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!

Last edited by ymz; September 17th, 2011 at 19:19.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 18:06   #6
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

On my 2002 Golf (should be the same as your Jetta) I installed the glow plug harness and then use cable cover over the 4 wires and routed it over to the plug in under the curved plastic cover by the master cylinder. The original wire is wrapped up with a number of other wires and I have seen a post where a member unwrapped the whole works but my method was fast and it worked.

Harness: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=606
glow plugs http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1077
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 20:05   #7
Dodoma
Veteran Member

I have done this job myself on my 2002 jetta TDI automatic. The cost came as follows: 4 Bosch glow plugs thru ebay $52, harness about same. If you were near me, I could have done for $50 for labor (my cost for tea, lunch, cleaning, rags, etc.) if you provide the glow plugs and harness and left the car for two days. But to be honest, replacing the harness is an easy work so I would encourage you to do yourself if you have time. Remove the battery and battery plate, remove air box, open the harness plastic cover. Starting from the glow plug side, carefully unwind the plastic insulation (tape). Use heat gun to "slightly melt" the insulation glue and unwrap it over a pencil. Once you reach the harness connection on the firewall, remove the old one and replace with the new one. Have harness wires (four) follow the curvatures of the other wires in the bundle. After that reuse the insulation that you unwound. The work is time consuming though but worth doing rather that cutting here and there that should not take more that 20 minutes but will not look good or professional. I was getting the check engine lite with the code for faulty glow plug. Only after replacing both my problem got solved.

One think to need in mind: Not to ruin the threads of glow plugs. Also be carful to remove the glow plugs if they have never been removed before. So use WD-40 so that it seems inside. Use right size socket and keep its axis in line with the axis of glow plug. Once the glow plugs are out, replace by hand tightining till it reaches the bottom of threads. That tighted it a little more.

Last edited by Dodoma; September 17th, 2011 at 20:20.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 18:40   #8
msiert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Record 703 miles

Just as easy as changing out spark plugs in an older car.

Don't even need to check which one is bad. Just take them all out and replace the ones that has black soot on them the good ones will have clean tips.

Just got done replacing a bad one last weeK......I feel theres no need to replace all of them if only one or two are bad.

Last edited by msiert; September 18th, 2011 at 18:55.
msiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 18:54   #9
davebugs

Easy job. Really.

I'd buy from any of the vendors here. My car took BERU and I just replaced the harness the second time. I put doelectric grease on the harness and glow plugs. I bought special high temp anti-seize for them too.

Got the heat shrink gizmo's to put over the connections.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 19:53   #10
2002MK4
Veteran Member

I just did this earlier [save the gp harness]. The plugs are a cheap [if aftermarket shop] and easy [just don't strip them] job you can do in 20 min.
2002MK4 is offline   Reply With Quote