www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 13th, 2011, 20:20   #1
bako

TDI(s): passat wagon
Fuel Economy: 500 miles to a tank
Default 05 passat problems

having problems with the turbo overboosting when climbing a hill
bako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:30   #2
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

What codes are you getting on the VCDS?

It could be a number of things like a bad N75, stuck VNT, leaking vacuum lines, etc.

Old September 14th, 2011, 16:19   #3
bako

Default 05 passat wagon

have a problem when the car starts up a hill the check engine light comes on. scan it says turbo over boost then it goes into limp mode turn the key off reboot runs ok agian until you gas it hard anybody have any idel whats up

Last edited by bako; September 14th, 2011 at 16:24.
Old September 14th, 2011, 17:36   #4
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

No, but I have exactly the same symptoms.
If I drive for 15 seconds or so (100 yards the other way and turn around) before trying the hill, no problem.
If I use tip mode and hold gear until 3k rpm, no problem.
If I try to brake-stand (foot on the brake AND hard accelerator pedal application) for about 5 seconds, then drive normally in full auto, no problem.
If the car has already been driven that day, no problem.
If I use full auto and WOT, no problem.
Let me know if you find any solution.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by BKmetz; September 15th, 2011 at 18:54.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 20:30   #5
bako

The only code that came up was turbo over boost and the emission light comes on goes in to limp mode turn off restart runs ok.up a hill or hard acceleration it goes into limp mode.
Old September 14th, 2011, 20:43   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Are we sure it's not turbo underboost? Check vacuum lines and turbo hoses for leaks, etc.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 20:46   #7
bako

I try smoke test tomorrow
Old September 14th, 2011, 20:51   #8
bako

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Are we sure it's not turbo underboost? Check vacuum lines and turbo hoses for leaks, etc.
I will smoke test it tomorrow what vacuum line should I look at.
Old September 14th, 2011, 20:59   #9
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bako View Post
I will smoke test it tomorrow what vacuum line should I look at.
The N75 valve is located at the front of the engine, passenger side under the air box inlet. Check the hoses there and the one that goes up from there to the turbo actuator.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:39   #10
vwztips
Veteran Member

I have not had this problem on my Passat TDI but have had it with 1.8t's and it was definitely the N75 causing my non-chipped 1.8t to spike to chipped boost levels and then go into limp mode rather abruptly.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 18:43   #11
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Here's the start of this request:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=329908

Replacing my N75 did not change my cold start, moderate hill within 30 seconds of start limp mode.
If the car idles for about 45 seconds before I attempt the hill, of if I floor it through 1, 2, and 3rd gear going up, or I use manual tip mode and delay shift to 3000 rpm, there is no limp. No, the N75 is not my culprit.

other posts of my identical problem:
using "limp" as the key word:

post #5 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=limp

When I thought I had it fixed post #13 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=limp

Still 'fixed' in post 27 and 33 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=limp

and here in post #13: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=limp

using "tip" as the key word:

post 2 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=tip

post 25: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=tip

posts 18 and 22 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=tip

Some of those make it look like the problem is solved? Nope. It was gone for a few months then came back.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; September 15th, 2011 at 19:15.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 00:26   #12
tlbo

Default 'Limp mode' syndrome

I too have the 'limp mode' syndrome, except mine will accelerate slow, then accelerate as normal, left in Drive it will sometimes take longer to go through the gears, if done in gear mode, does fine in the acceleration, for a hill, change to the gear mode, and let it climb naturally may loose 2-5 mph's. If you push toooo hard then it will go into 'limp mode'.....no fun turn on 4-ways so will not get run over...... Did ask VW dealer about the issue......shop foreman, tech, and instructor has NO idea on what would cause the issue except, a $1500 ECM (Electronic Control Module), that being a 50/50 chance THAT MIGHT FIX IT............ At first got the car back it would act like it was being starved of fuel......sucking air......fuel filter.......it then asked me to STOP at that time I did, so I could try again. Now it start every time, except for today twice it baulked - not as long as the other times - but started....Of course I did try to convince VW (Park Cities/Boardwalk) that something else was the issue.... I work on PC's just trying to show them (VW) on thinking outside of only what the manual states........ So does anyone have a better thought about the 'limp mode' issue. I reside in the DFW area and someone has mentioned in a post about a good TDI mechanic in this area, does any one know? Currently I am chained, but will drive slow and have that DFW mech do the fixin'......
tlbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:23   #13
s4phillips
Veteran Member

Location: Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific Northwet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbo View Post
snip... So does anyone have a better thought about the 'limp mode' issue. I reside in the DFW area and someone has mentioned in a post about a good TDI mechanic in this area, does any one know? Currently I am chained, but will drive slow and have that DFW mech do the fixin'......
Look in this thread for DFW area shops that work on VW TDIs and have experience with BSM replacement/upgrade: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293773
You might also contact a member here that goes by jetta ,97 for diagnostic help. You can find many of his posts and reviews of his work in the Meetings/GTG/Regional Discussions ->South Central Regional States section. I have no personal experience with any shop as I have done everything myself except for one re-flash for one of the glow plug changes.

I have to think these limp mode events are caused by leaking vacuum hose or connections, a charge hose leak on the intake track, bad N75 valve, sticking vanes on the turbo, or perhaps the tandem pumps is not creating the proper vacuum when cold.
2003 DL1000K3
s4phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:00   #14
aja8888
Veteran Member

Ft Worth/DFW Guru's:

Jetta ,97
mtbr297
Alphasenior

All very good.