Canadian HPFP failure !!

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not to worry my southern friends. We too ,up here , have the same problem HPFP as you. My wifes 2010 Golf TDI with 132000kms on it decided to implode last friday. As you can see it is past its warranty. I am a diesel mechanic and I am used to seeing high pressure fuel pumps last for a million miles or more! Even at 132000kms , my pump is an early failure. I will battle VW Canada untill my dying breath so that NOBODY has to wonder when their beloved TDI is going to leave them stranded with a huge "life changing" amount of money to pay.

voldar

TDI
None
Your wife did 3 times the Equator in one year and some months ! WOW, and when did you say your wife went to the washroom ?

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
So sorry to read this. :( Best of luck with the repair and VW of Canada.
I now think about having a few grand handy before taking my TDI on a long trip for travel/lodging expenses just in case this happens. Drive more worry less...but be prepared. :eek:

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thanks for the input everyone. My wife uses the car for business so she is on the road all day.Thats why we bought a TDI! We have confirmed that it is the HPFP. I am staring at a very expensive parts list right now. The usual, tank to injectors all replaced. I am of the mind now that after seeing the poor design of the pump compared to heavy diesel pumps the majority of theses pumps will fail prematurely at some time. You might be the lucky ones that will never have a problem. But my opinion is the design will fail.

sway162

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Man, I am starting to regret my recent purchase. Sorry to hear about your wife's car. Can you elaborate on how the pump is poorly design? Is there anything we can do to prevent these pumps to not fail prematurely?

Last edited:

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hi sway, in my "professional" opinion as a diesel mechanic. You can take this with a grain of salt. After looking at a Caterpillar fuel pump. The metal if forged hardend steel. I suspect that the TDI pump is problematic because of too soft a metal in the cam and roller. Aswell if the piston is allowed to rotate that would be the end of that pump. I would really like to know what Bosch has done in the three different times they have "tweaked" the pump. We bought our car in Apr 2010 so our car may have the original designed pump in it.

sway162

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I see.....Thanks for that explanation. Did you use any additives?

Any idea when Bosch released their newest pump design?

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Man, I am starting to regret my recent purchase. Sorry to hear about your wife's car. Can you elaborate on how the pump is poorly design? Is there anything we can do to prevent these pumps to not fail prematurely?
More and more, I'm expecting to sell my car when the 7 year extended warranty is up.

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Everyone should look at the HPFP registry and realize there is a chance that even with a warranty , you can be on the hook for 8-9 thousand bucks! Look at the contaminated fuel excuse they use! They look to blame anyone but themselves first , then if that doesn't work they will come to the table and help you out. Some have had to threaten them with lawyers before getting VW to pay. I don't want to paint everyones situation with the same brush. There are situations where VW has backed up thier product. I just wish they would fix the problem instead of putting a problematic pump back in everyones car.
Do A Recall and put a well designed pump in everybodys beloved ride
The cost to VW would be approx $1500 instead they wait for our time bombs to go off and look at $10000 for them or us.
Initally it would be expensive for VW, but in the long run we could start gaining the trust back that we once had for VW........ sales increase........company profits rise...... hmmmm???

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'll second that! Protect youself at every turn. You just never know. I figured I would be the last guy that this woould happen to. Like HEY
I'm a fricking mechanic!! I take care of my vehicles as well as the VW senior tech would.

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I am wondering if this has anything to do with our failure. 3 weeks before our HPFP failed, my wife wife got a intermitant fuel guage. When she was stopped the fuel guage would read the level in the tank. As soon as she started driving, within minutes , the guage would go dead. It is my understanding that the float level sender is attached to the in tank lift pump. Would there corilation between these two issues. Were metal flakes messing up the fuel level sender? Has anyone had similar fuel guage problems?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
No point challenging VW in court, what is the point, who's going to win? This may have to be considered normal wear and tear item. The fuel pump even on fuel that meets Bosch lubricity specification doesn't mean the pump is going to last forever, right? Nothing last forever. It is probably mandatory to have the pump replaced when I hit 100,000km with newer version.

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I am wondering if this has anything to do with our failure. 3 weeks before our HPFP failed, my wife wife got a intermitant fuel guage. When she was stopped the fuel guage would read the level in the tank. As soon as she started driving, within minutes , the guage would go dead. It is my understanding that the float level sender is attached to the in tank lift pump. Would there corilation between these two issues. Were metal flakes messing up the fuel level sender? Has anyone had similar fuel guage problems?
You would have to examine the fuel sending unit to determine if metal particles interfered with the sending unit contacts. There have been a few members with irratic fuel gauge reading and they did not have any know correlation to hpfp failure.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No point challenging VW in court, what is the point, who's going to win? This may have to be considered normal wear and tear item. The fuel pump even on fuel that meets Bosch lubricity specification doesn't mean the pump is going to last forever, right? Nothing last forever.

So, if your hpfp sh_ts itself tomorrow and VW absolutely refuses to cover it under warranty. You're just going to walk away and say "oh well my pump must have met its useful life. Nothing last forever!"

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
dweisel, if the pump fails under warranty, VW has to fix it, that's why I bought extended warranty. But the OP's car has over 100,000km, warranty is long gone at that time.

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not a chance!! I want to 6-700000 kms before I say goodbye to my TDI. Getting a lawyer involved at this point is to make VW or Bosch accountable. I worry that it will still not solve the issue of the failing pump.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel, if the pump fails under warranty, VW has to fix it, that's why I bought extended warranty. But the OP's car has over 100,000km, warranty is long gone at that time.
And VW has been covering ALL hpfps here in the USA,whether they are out of warranty or not. But I guess that is because the NHSTA is breathing down their necks.

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Warrantys are supposed to help the owner get over the problems that may happen during assembly or poorly manufactured parts. A recall is inplace to protect consumers from bad design or engineering. I think that if your Toyota Corollas gas pedal sticks its warranty. If 1000 peoples Toyota Corolla gas pedal sticks its a recall. One shows bad assembly , one shows bad design. You think that VW would be looking a few years in the past and see what Toyota went through and realize the actual cost of not backing their product. Look a little further back and realize the bad Firestone tires in the 90's on Ford trucks causing rollovers. Costing the company dearly. Is the next one VW sales numbers going down because of Bosch pumps.