www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 12th, 2011, 19:35   #1
JorJetta

Default Letting my TDI idle

I read on here that it isnt recommended to let my TDI idle for long periods of time (which i wouldnt want to do anyway because it makes a weird sound when its idleing), But I read that to my boyfriend who is a diesel junkie and he says he doesnt understand what oil consumption while idleing has to do with the clogging the catalytic converter. Can someone explain that to me please?
JorJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:01   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Drive more, worry less... that's what I say.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:13   #3
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Oil consumption during idling is caused by oil passing the seals in the turbo. So now there is oil in the intake system being burned in the engine causing excessive ash that can clog the catalytic converter.

Have the BF take you to a nice dinner for doubting you.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:29   #4
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
Oil consumption during idling is caused by oil passing the seals in the turbo. So now there is oil in the intake system being burned in the engine causing excessive ash that can clog the catalytic converter.

Have the BF take you to a nice dinner for doubting you.

+1.

Tell him you want this:

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/me...u_seasonal.asp

Enjoy!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:48   #5
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Yum!!
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:12   #6
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??
Default my 0.02 jut my 0.02, others will have different 0.02...

This is a fairly polarizing topic that comes up regularly.
my 0.02, and I respect that others may have different 0.02-
=
Although I don't have specific examples of why, I tend to agree it's probably not good to allow the TDI to idle for extended periods of time. The above replies explain that. Others will say that's garbage, idle for as long as you want.
=
I am a fan of NOT shutting the engine off immediately when you stop- allow it to idle for 30 seconds or so, maybe a bit longer on a hot day. Why? Because it has a turbocharger. Part of the turbocharger sits in the exhaust stream, and gets very hot when the engine is working to produce power. (the engine produces relatively little excess heat while idling). The turbo has spinning parts, which are lubricated by oil fed from the engine. There is a pressurized oil line that goes from the engine to the turbo, and a little drain line that takes the oil out of the turbo and back into the engine oil pan. In addition to lubricating the turbo, the engine oil helps to cool the turbo bearings. So what you're doing when you idle for 30 seconds or so (bit longer on hot days), is allowing some time for the turbo to cool down, so that when shut off, the hot turbo doesn't cook the oil that happens to be left in it at the time. That's one of the reasons these cars call for using synthetic oil- because synthetic is capable of handling slightly higher temperatures than conventional oil without "coking". When I first bought my 02 jetta (new), this was recommended to me by a friend who had been a technical salesman for a big diesel engine manufacturer. I'm just coming up on 300K miles on original turbo. I have seen reports from others about high miles with no problems, and they don't "idle down".
=
Still, I agree with the above- your BF should buy you the dinner of your choice.
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]

Last edited by Corsair; September 13th, 2011 at 05:16.
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:21   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

We've gone around this block at least a dozen times already. Idling isn't going to destroy your engine. Idling isn't the ideal condition for your engine to operate at for long periods of time. Decide for yourself how important idling is to you and do what you want with your car.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:29   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Also, there are two separate topics being discussed here.

First is the question of idling after driving for a "turbo cool-down." Turbo life is determined by a number of factors, one of which is "cool-down," and arguably has little impact on turbo life in the typical TDI's life cycle.

The second topic - which this thread is about - is about idling for extended periods... example: waiting for your kids in the pick-up line at school and idling the engine for air conditioning on a hot day. Again, discussed ad nauseum with a wide variety of answers. Long story short: do what makes you comfortable, your car isn't going to spontaneously combust.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:35   #9
SnieselDiesel

TDI(s): Looking....

Now, in semi's, we would typically let them idle all night long. And drive for weeks at a time. What is the difference?

What would be a 'safe' idle time for these cars?
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:47   #10
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Corsair said it best. And ask all the questions you like. That's what a forum is all about. There are no dumb questions. Some will say, do a search. You'll get that response from a lot of folks. Mostly the long time members. Now go get that dinner from the BF.
Cogen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:59   #11
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

There is no safe/unsafe idle time. It's up to you to decide what's best for your car based on its condition, your daily routine, your maintenance budget, etc.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:05   #12
> Luke <
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fm > White Dog
Oil consumption during idling is caused by oil passing the seals in the turbo. So now there is oil in the intake system being burned in the engine causing excessive ash that can clog the catalytic converter
Quote:
Fm > Bill
+1
May I second the above comments.....It would be very noticeable when you take the cat off and try to look through it.
As of 10/5/14: Latest 10 Fill-up Moving Average = 50.45 MPG. at 152,792 miles. Zero Oil usage. Only Chevron Fuel. I also carry a 6 gallon reserve container, used weekly: Thus allowing me to fill every Sunday 4/5/13>Total "fuel system" replaced due to primary fuel pump failure (metal shavings and all) Still very happy with my vehicle.
> Luke < is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:10   #13
Keith_J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG @ 80 MPH with 2 bikes on top. 52 MPG @ 60 MPH slick

Many older engines have flat tappet cams, the wear per engine revolution is greatest at idle since the friction pair speed is lowest. This places a greater burden on the oil film lubricating the surfaces. Just like your car won't hydroplane at 5 MPH but will easily do it at 70 MPH, speed matters. Only you WANT the tappet to hydroplane over the cam lobe.

On the catalytic converter issue, idle speed has very low exhaust gas temperature, this can cause carbon buildup on the converter.

Yes, OTR diesels idle overnight. Some have roller tappet camshafts (as do most modern gasoline engines). Still isn't good for them.
2k Jetta manual. PP520s. Ventectomy, Panzer Plate, DT hitch, 16"s w/ 205 55s. Short shifter. Boost gauge with blue LED backlight, same intensity as dash. Blistein struts and shocks. 0.658:1 5th gear swap and LOVING IT.
Keith_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:26   #14
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnieselDiesel View Post
Now, in semi's, we would typically let them idle all night long. And drive for weeks at a time. What is the difference?

What would be a 'safe' idle time for these cars?

I have to let mine idle for 20 min now and then in the winter and seems to do no harm, but don't recommend it if you can avoid it. I wouldn't do overnight/extended idling. Cann't tell you exactly why it, just when most all the guys whose opinions I rely on say its not good, I listen. But sometimes you still have to do what you have to do.
I think the biggest difference is the variable vanes in the turbo getting sticky and the way the turbos are constructed and the speed at which they operate.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:46   #15
Lee_Taylor
Veteran Member

I would be more concerned about the "weird sound" it makes when idling. Can you be a bit more specific?