TDI Crankcase Ventilation Filter Costs and installation

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
When I've read up on catchcans and the CCV system, one question I've not seen asked or answered is this:

The oil that is then retained, is it safe to put back into the engine?

ROVERTTDI

TDI
2006, 2010 Jetta TDIs
The oil that is recovered is tarnished with water and blow-by exhaust vapors. It would have its lubricity factor lowered and thus not perform as well as fresh engine oil.

Additionally, the amount of recovered oil is so minimal for thousands of miles, it simply would not have any excessive amount worth value.

Cheers,

ROVERTTDI

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Other vehicle manufacturers like BMW have no issue draining that oil back into the crank case. I don't see any issue either provided there is no debris from the new hoses etc that have collected in the oil-a simple inline gasoline oil filter on the drain line would take care of this. I thought one of the goals of something like this is to reduce oil consumption/oil refilling?

By the way, water vapor will stay in the vapor form provided that it remains hot enough to stay that way. The stock CCV system keeps it warm enough to keep condensation of water vapor at bay. Catch cans will allow water vapor to condense if they are cool enough-even still small amounts of water that would drain to the oil pan will instantly flash to steam and eventually find there way through the engine causing no issue to the engine oil. I personally wouldn't be worried about returning the oil to the crankcase provided it's filtered as mentioned above.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I finished this crankcase ventilation filter modification on my 2006 Jetta TDI three weeks ago.

BRM 1.9L TDI seem to have a lot of blow-by vapors that eventually clog up the ERG valve and intake manifold since the oily mist mixes with the EGR soot.

This crank case ventilation filter prevents that oily mist from entering the intake manifold and mixing with the EGR soot, thus eliminating the clogged intake manifold problem for good!

It has already captured 0.5 ounces. Estimated life time blow-by oil that will be captured, approximately 166 ounces.

Calculations based on as follows:

0.5 ounces = three weeks of operation.

The vehicle has been in operation for 64 months:

64 months x 4 weeks/month = 256 weeks of operation.

256 weeks/3 weeks per 0.5 ounces = 85.33 ounces estimated entry into air intake system

Therefore, if the vehicle is currently at 85,000 miles = 85.33 ounces
And vehicle lasts until 250,000 miles, this will be = 250.97 ounces

The remainder between 250.97 - 85.33 = 165.64 ounces estimated captured by Moroso CCVF. That's 1.24 gallons of engine oil that will NOT enter the intake manifold and EGR throttle valve.

This is an air/oil separator system and anyone with a TDI that has blow-by vapors entering the intake manifold should be interested in doing this modification. Although, not all TDI vehicles have enough room in the engine compartment.

PLEASE read everything fully and carefully before you install to ensure you understand everything and the problems I have overcome.

Furthermore, I will not be held liable for any dissatisfaction or damages of such that this modification may cause to any persons vehicles. Remember, any modifications other than VW recommended is at your own risk.

I bought the CCVF Moroso off of eBay for $146.88, it is designed for a 5.0L Ford Mustang but is ideal for the 1.9L BRM TDI (turbocharged direct injection).

The Moroso kit aluminium air/oil separator cans are ALL the same, regardless if it is the Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Universal kits.

I purchased the Jeep kit, mainly because it was the CHEAPEST one available. I had to grind the engine steel mount to the dimensions I wanted for use with my custom stainless steel engine mount bracket.

The Moroso comes with the basic hardware for the air/oil separator. The kit also comes with three feet of Parker heater hose and is PERFECT length for this TDI engine. JUST MAKE sure you cut one piece LONGER than the other if you install the CCVF to the left of oil filter like I did.

I custom built a stainless steel engine mount and mounted my Moroso CCVF on front the the TDI BRM engine mount that has threads manufactured into the engine from VW. (This area is located slightly to the right of the dipstick and behind a smaller radiator hose.)

Before I had the engine mount built I used copper house electrical cable bolted to the CCVF eyelet and wrapped the wire around the dipstick area.

Total installation with all parts cost just under $160.00 CANADIAN funds.

-I purchased the CCVF Moroso air/oil separator off of eBay (SpeedUnlimited Seller) with FREE shipping ($146.88)
-Purchased two additional Parker 3/8 tangent brass fittings to thread into the former VW bleeder hose ($12.00)
-Teflon tape to wrap around the fittings ($0.40)

Link for Moroso CCVF:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=18549

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190551243545#ht_2483wt_760

I bought two additional tangent/straight fittings made by Parker (3/8's tangent fittings) and threaded them into the formed VW bleeder CCV hose that comes as one piece from the crankcase and to the intake hose.

From this, I was able to attach the Parker 3/8's heater hose that comes in this kit to the additional fittings I purchased and all the way to the Moroso air/oil separator fittings. (If you have trouble pressure fitting the heater hose to the fittings, just rub on a little bit of dish soap and it will slide on the fittings perfectly and NEVER come off!).

This VW BLEEDER CCV hose is actual THREE pieces pressure fitted together. Its very simple to remove. All you have to do is apply even pressure on the release clips around the intake hose and crankcase areas it is attached to.

To dismantle this entire piece, I submerged the bleeder hose in very HOT water and was able to pull the two adapters apart from the flex joint hose that connects the two. The two adapters are what I threaded the two additional Parker brass fittings into using my hand grasping the adapter CAREFULLY not to break the release clips and a wrench to slowly tighten the fittings into the adapters.

Eventually, I put the entire Moroso kit together, threaded the brass fittings into the aluminum air/oil separator and tightened them snug. I used Teflon tape to ensure the fittings keep their seal!

From this, I cut the heater hose according to the length required from crankcase to CCVF and then back from CCVF to intake manifold. I was able to have the heater hose hidden behind the engine plastic cover and under the intake manifold up until the intake attachment area.

DIFFICULTIES with modification:
- engine cover brushed up against heater hose and caused excessive wear: the most vibrations occur at idle, I overcame this problem by tightening the brass fittings to the aluminium can DOWNWARD thus providing more clearance.
-heater hose if too long impacts manual transmission selection: hose may be too long and causing restricted clearance in transmission fork selector area (located under intake air filter) CUT hoses in proper length
-Radiator hose brushing against stainless steel engine mount causing excessive wear: overcame this problem by using a piece of scrap heater hose and wrapping that around radiator hose to avoid damage as it is a cushion.
-I DID NOT install the brass fitting on the BOTTOM of the CCVF as it would take up too much room in engine compartment.

I prefer to remove the canister's bottom and dump the oil out by hand instead of using the drain valve fitting that threads into the bottom of the CCVF.

Here are some pictures of my work of art:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/img6461d.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/img6454c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/img6455d.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/img6456c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/img6459r.jpg/

These photos are not entirely up to date as I have made minor adjustments to the Moroso but it is very similar.

I have angled the fittings downward for more clearance and strengthened the engine mount with another cross member.

And yes, I did all the custom red and silver TDI paint job myself.

This procedure has been ambiguous and enjoyable to do.

I do not have an explicit procedure layout for anyone, my advice is look at the problem at hand, identify what your demands are for the modification and make it work by adjusting the modification as minor problems occur.

Best regards,

ROVERTTDI

By your mileage vs months numbers it looks like you are basically saying you have collected .5 ounces in 3 weeks(approx 1000 miles). That seems like a lot to me-Especially with a new installation. I know that newly installed systems generally need some time for the hoses and cans to become wet enough to allow effluent drainage. I'm wondering if a certain fraction of that .5oz is from water vapor that has been condensed by your relatively cool catch can?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. I have been all through the BRM several times and am not convinced CCV vapors are any kind of a problem. No matter, I am sure you don't care to convince me. Just sayin'.

I will offer from experience that mounting to the block where you did your bracket's days are numbered. The vibes will fatigue that bracket to the point of failure in short order. Some triangulation might buy some more time.

Cheers!

ROVERTTDI

TDI
2006, 2010 Jetta TDIs
Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. I have been all through the BRM several times and am not convinced CCV vapors are any kind of a problem. No matter, I am sure you don't care to convince me. Just sayin'.

I will offer from experience that mounting to the block where you did your bracket's days are numbered. The vibes will fatigue that bracket to the point of failure in short order. Some triangulation might buy some more time.

Cheers!

The bracket is made from high strength stainless steel used by local industries for electric pumps and turbines. Furthermore, I have installed a cross member to add additional support and have made a footing on the base of the bracket that secures tightly around the engine mount that protrudes from the BRM.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
3/8" hose? That's likely to add appreciable CCV backpressure at some time; expect blue smoke...

I thought those lines looked a little small in diameter. Now factor in the length of that small diameter, and you really have a restriction.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem.
Me too, since I have yet to see a BRM that needs its intake "cleaned out". Come to think of it, I've never had to clean out any PD's intake. :cool:

And with ULSD, we don't really clean out VE intakes anymore either. :)

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I had a home made one on my old 2001 ALH TDI Jetta that I gave the car to one of my kids but took off the oil sep., as no more soot from the egr as it has been blocked off. I ran 3/4 inch clear plastic hose with webbing in it. The clear was good to see how much crap was passing. In the winter I would insulate both the hose and the seperater as some 20 below C will freeze water real fast. The restriction that will give the most problem is the heater at the return at the intake which has a very small hole which is going to be the main restriction and not the hoses. I do agree that 3/8 id hose will add to the restriction of your oil seperater unlee was very short run but as in the pictures it is not so if room run a bigger ID hose would not hurt. My old unit I will use it on my 2006 BRM now and if I can increase the hose size to 1 inch if room, although 3/4 would be ok. The unit I used was made out of plastic and was for filtering water for before a pressure washer and has if I remember 3/4 NPT inlet and outlets. It was from Princess Auto and has a metal screen inside it that I filled loosely with brass type steel wool and it worked very well. When I would take apart had lots of oil and water in it, in fact was full just about every time so the drain will be very good so as to save time having to remove taking apart, cleaning and putting back together, when draining would be fast and easy. It had no drain but I think I will tap and install one and install on my car. The hoses would supported it on the 2001 TDI with foam padding also were needed to stop any wear to it or otherwise. So should work like wise on my 2006. The unit cost some 20.00 dollars, plastic fittings and clear hose, all SS clamps which was some 20 more. The BRM may not make a lot of soot in the intake etc, but the oil seperater would think just be much better and insure it stayed clean. The BRM and the ALH were not that great of a design when it comes to the PCV and for that matter all the VW diesels here suck when it comes to their PCV systems. My 2 cents or 1. Like what was said, take your time and make changes as you go if needed and work safe.

Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I would suspect it might improve catalytic life now that the switch to CJ4 oil is common, as shown the consumption does add up. From the stand point of vibration, perferably mount it to the fan shroud. But if you want to try, the center point of the engine around the oil filter housing seems to be less effected and keeping the mount as close to the engine as possible could help( even still it could be the filter inside may disintegrate) I have to agree with A5Inky that even with your best efforts the engine mount is not the way to go if you have a choice.

ROVERTTDI

TDI
2006, 2010 Jetta TDIs
I thought those lines looked a little small in diameter. Now factor in the length of that small diameter, and you really have a restriction.

Josh,

You seem to know quite a bit about this already but have you ever attempted this project?

Your keen insight seems expertise. I suggest you do this modification instead of shutting down interesting ideas.

Perhaps you should remain focused on getting that additional 2.1 MPG out of a risky project like modifying your thermostat.

All I can say is this design works, there is no more oil in the intake hose and booster hose from intercooler to EGR. The running inspections show vapors (with oil removed) are freely travelling through this system and are not restricted as much as you think it is.

Furthermore, my car has been fully inspected for the final warranty check and the dealership was kind enough to show me the inside of the intake manifold with their VW mechanic flex-camera...it was exceptionally clean, only evidence of soot formation not heavy oily deposits there was before! Seven months earlier, the vehicle required replacement of the EGR valve since it had a 60% clogged manifold from the oily mist and EGR soot.

I just finished driving 4000 miles on a recent trip and again, no evidence of oil in the intake hose and booster hose. Moroso was successful in capturing a couple of ounces of oil.

Last edited:

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
You seem to think you are the first to have done this on a tdi. You realize this has been done many times in the past on tdi's right? And is much less common now due to the previously mentioned usage of USLD and it's dramatically lowered exhaust soot.

I myself used to run a provent 5 years ago but tossed it due to freeze-up issues and the fact that intake carbon build-up is virtually a non-issue with today's fuels.

BTW, I hope you were being sarcastic when you said your "mod" is a "work of art".

Last edited:

ROVERTTDI

TDI
2006, 2010 Jetta TDIs
Footbraker from Saskatchewan,

As an observation, it appears you have control/insecurity issues always being overly defensive.

The real question is, who cares? Some people just have way too much time on their hands complaining.

I am satisfied and that's all that matters; definitely not your opinion.

All the other posters,

Thank you for your input, it is valued.

Best of luck on new modification endeavors and achieving the full potential of your VW.

Cheers!

ROVERTTDI

Last edited: